knight rider on psp?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

knight rider on psp?

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:15 am

:D g'day, with the psparound our shores soon, is there any way
of watching knightrider on it :kitt:

AtariKnight
Operative

Post by AtariKnight » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:18 am

Does it play DVD's?

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:20 am

umds

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:30 am

I would highly doubt anytime soon. Really depends if UMDs take off like DVD did. I would not expect a KR release anytime soon though. Its taken this long to get season 1 2 and 3 on DVD this far! lol

Nick

Michelle
Rookie

Post by Michelle » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:01 pm

If you look around you can find that you can use ur TV or Computer to use ur DVDs and put them onto the PSP. So it might be possible! I'm just telling what I heard a while ago! :D
Michael: It can end here if you let it. (Race for Life 2:16)

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:39 pm

Uh, is a UMD similiar to a DVD? Just asking.....

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:43 pm

UMDs are just small dvds inna plastic case. They acutally contain less data than a normal dvd though, so they usualy lack the 'extras' you find on today's DVDs.

The UMDs also only play in the Playstation Portable (PSP) for now at least. Sony is hoping that the format will take off and they'll intergrate the reader into the PS3 and possibly home UMD devices.

As it stands now, they just make the PSP one of those small portable DVD players that uses special annoying disks.

As for the orginal poster's question... if you have time and a large memory stick for your PSP, you can rip KR from the dvds, re-encode them and put them on the memory stick. The program PSP Video 9 will do this, however the last time I looked into it, the program had issues uploading to the PSP when you use WinXP OS. I dunno if they ever fixed this, as I'm still stuck with my 32 meg stick. The 512 ones are still stupidly expensive.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:22 pm

Is it just me or is the UMD a step backwards for video? To me it seems like a great medium to hold software for a new handheld gaming device (small and compact, perfect for portable gaming), but why does Sony feel the need to integrate it into every aspect of out lives? I have a DVD player so why am I going to get a UMD player? 'Cause they're small and hip and cool? Come on Sony. This has DIVX writen all over it. Sony is searching way to hard for the next data storage medium. Blu-Ray may work so stick with that.

Using this as a media format for home video viewing makes about as much sense as using the N64 cartridge for the same purpose. It's a proprietary data format for a handheld gaming device. PSP is for games. It may do a bunch of other wonderful things, but it is a gaming device, right? It's like when the PS2 came out Sony tried to market it as a home intertainment hub and not just a mere gaming device. 5 years later and what is the PS2 for, yup, gaming. The USB ports are just for show I guess (wouldn't recognize my Sony camera or anything else USB I plugged into it).

Dave_McConnell
Stranger

Post by Dave_McConnell » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:03 am

Nope. I have never watched Knight Rider under the influence of PSP.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:Is it just me or is the UMD a step backwards for video? To me it seems like a great medium to hold software for a new handheld gaming device (small and compact, perfect for portable gaming), but why does Sony feel the need to integrate it into every aspect of out lives? I have a DVD player so why am I going to get a UMD player? 'Cause they're small and hip and cool? Come on Sony. This has DIVX writen all over it. Sony is searching way to hard for the next data storage medium. Blu-Ray may work so stick with that.

Using this as a media format for home video viewing makes about as much sense as using the N64 cartridge for the same purpose. It's a proprietary data format for a handheld gaming device. PSP is for games. It may do a bunch of other wonderful things, but it is a gaming device, right? It's like when the PS2 came out Sony tried to market it as a home intertainment hub and not just a mere gaming device. 5 years later and what is the PS2 for, yup, gaming. The USB ports are just for show I guess (wouldn't recognize my Sony camera or anything else USB I plugged into it).
The PS2 is just about THE WORST DVD player that I have ever heard of. If the discs are even a little scratched, the machine will freak all over it...where most other players won't even slow down to look twice.

As for the modem upgrade...what's that for? A hand full of remote games? X-Box downright owns that notion.

I have a couple USB devices. One that powers an extra fan and a keyboard for working with the RPG Maker series. There is also this one memory stick that works with it. Otherwise, it's about as uesful as those hidden ports on most consoles. There for possible upgrades...but, most likely forgotten about by the hardware makers until the revised machine does without it.

Oh...and, there are also these Sony cameras that are suppose to have this technology to work with a PlayStation 2...on select games. Mind you...neither the games, nor the cameras seem to promote this hidden feature, as I understand it. Just...weird. Exactly like how on the original Sony, several games a year supported interlinking (like a PC HUB or that Game Boy link cable) of two machines to permit full screen, two player games. But, the idea was nearly invisible, when it came to informing anyone about this neat feature.

As for the UMD's...I just do not get it. Is there really that great a demand to view a movie over and over, while on the go?