The Dukes got their movie so where's our KR movie, Dave?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

BlazeFox
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The Dukes got their movie so where's our KR movie, Dave?

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:06 am

Not to be rushing fine wines but...

I think Hasselhoff needs to get his butt in gear! There's already a Dukes of Hazzard movie coming out. If Davey waits too long either Willy Daniels is gunna keel over or another 5 years will pass and this whole 80's flashback thing will be done and gone. As for the car, KITT was and always should be a Trans Am, not a Corvette or a Volkswagen Beetle (there's already a Herby movie out) but much as us longtime fans love the 82 T/A its pretty old, perhaps the old KITT could still do a cameo appearance?

I think a 4th gen (93-2002) model Trans Am would make a great new KITT for the new movie. Also I don't think reunion plots are good unless its gunna be a made-for-tv thing. It's not practical to build a plot on characters the new generation of kids haven't been introduced to and know nothing about, therefore I think they should do the whole thing from the begining, not pick up from some far-off time in the future where Michael takes over FLAG and his son drives KITT. Just have him play Devon instead.

So yeah, let's recap the important stuff:
1: The execs are idiots and if KITT doesn't talk it won't be KR.
2: William Daniels voice is a must, no one else sounds like him.
3: KITT should be a Trans Am, preferably 4th gen, something like César Gamiño's.
4: This should be a theatre film, not a made-for-tv reunion special.
5: Someone young (20's-30's) should play the part of Michael.

Last edited by BlazeFox on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 19 times in total.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:13 pm

It can have new, young people while still maintaining the storyline you know.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:05 pm

I kinda disagree with the last 3.

I like to see KITT as the same 3rd Gen T/A. The 4th Gens are a bit too rounded to be KITT. The body style is way too different.

I would like to see it as a TV movie as I can't get to theatres too easily. And I'd like it on broadcast (not cable) TV too, since I can't afford Cable. Otherwise, I'd have to wait years to see it IF it comes out on DVD. :?

I think David Hasselhoff is the only one qualified to play Michael. :)

BlazeFox
Rookie

Sorry if I'm breaking hearts here... but.

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Not to be mean to Davey, but he's 53 years old. He'd make a better Devon. He kinda looks like Mulhare nowadays if you think about it. Look at the Duke's movie, did they get Tom Wopat and John Schneider to do Bo and Luke? No, they're too old by now. Instead they got Knoxville and Sean Scott. Maybe not the best choices but they're young people the kids identify with, and of course there'll be cameos. William Daniels still works as KITT because he's the voice, no one ever sees the actor.

Perhaps another reason for halted production is this thought: "How do ya make a movie that's gunna capture the new generation, without upsetting the original 80's fanbase?" The best way I can think of is to start from the begining, perhaps re-tell the pilot episode so that way the kids can know what happened to Officer Long and how he got hooked up with The Foundation. If they try to pick up where KR2000 left off it'll be confusing except to longtime fans who already know the storyline.

This should be a fresh theatre adaptation that even those unfamiliar with KR can go see and enjoy, not some obscure TV reunion that will only play at 3am on Sci-Fi which only the most hardcore KR-otaku's will stay up and watch. The reason I say 4th gen T/A is because its still a Trans Am, which is what KITT was, but its newer looking. The few 4th gen conversions and concept drawings of a 4th gen KITT that I've seen look hella awesome. I heard the guy actually sent his drawings to David, I hope they get used.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:45 am

That's a very good question, and it's all in good time.
Maybe the "Dukes of Hazzard" movie won't do well, or maybe it might, but hopefully when the "Knight Rider" movie does materialize, it will be much better!
OK, I'm being analytical about this whole thing.....
Bring it on, D. Hasselhoff! :) :shock: 8) :wink: :dance:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:29 am

I still totally disagree. And David H. doesn't look all that "old". It's not all about for the "newer generation" either. It's for everyone, including those of us who saw the show when we were teenagers.

As for the car, changing to a 'newer' car would be like changing Herbie or General Lee to a "newer" car. Both those movies kept the same car. So if Knight Rider as a movie would like to compete, they'd have to do the same - keep the old car. There's been talk that Larson and Hasselhoff will be doing just that, AND there'll be a new car as well. Though I'm thinking the "new" car might be KARR (which there was some talk about him coming back for the movie - and I hope he does).

I think instead of overanalysing this (and we have had quite a few threads about what and who should and should not be in the movie), we should just wait and see. All these discussions have been done before.

I still stand with what I keep saying: Same car, Keep David as Michael (maybe he can be promoted to Devon's position, but still be Michael Knight), etc.

I'm sure they'll do good on the movie, as they are making sure that the existing fans who grew up with the show will be happy as well, not just the "newer generation" out there.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:20 am

This whole 4th gen thing makes no since to me. If the model was still in production, yeah, but just because it's the latest available T/A is not really a good reason to use it in the film. To me KITT was a look not a specific make or model. Look at 007, sure the Aston was first, but the point was to have a flashy luxary/exotic sports car to bomb around in. He's had BMW, Lotus, Rolls Royce. As long as the car is sleek and black it's KITT. Now if Pontiac brings out a new Firebird before the movie comes out and they don't use it someone dropped the ball. To me it makes more since to stick with the classic KITT over a 4th gen, if your gonna advertise a used car you may as well stick with the original. Don't get me wrong I think a 4th gen KITT would look sharp, but it would be a lost gesture to most of the people watching the film. I think they should look at the 4th gen and evolve it into a custom one-off car, a potential 5th gen if you will. I honestly hope it isn't any current production car, though.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:49 am

I agree,

They will have the best following if they stick with the 82 model.

It will bring back the old fans as well as get new ones interested
in the series. If they do a film and it turns out well, I know David was
pushing for a new series. If they do that, then they have the oppurtunity
to create a new car. Then once established, you could always do a new
action packed motion picture again.

With the low cost (for hollywood) availability on most 3rd Gen's, they
could purchase and create enough cars to really give us a WOW factor
movie now. I say stick with KITT as we know him. Upadte the dash or
what ever, but keep the body style as it.

Oh and lose the Stupid Pursuit Mode... It killed the series once, lets
not do it again. Ok............ :wink:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:41 pm

knightdriver wrote:I agree,

They will have the best following if they stick with the 82 model.

It will bring back the old fans as well as get new ones interested
in the series. If they do a film and it turns out well, I know David was
pushing for a new series. If they do that, then they have the oppurtunity
to create a new car. Then once established, you could always do a new
action packed motion picture again.

With the low cost (for hollywood) availability on most 3rd Gen's, they
could purchase and create enough cars to really give us a WOW factor
movie now. I say stick with KITT as we know him. Upadte the dash or
what ever, but keep the body style as it.

Oh and lose the Stupid Pursuit Mode... It killed the series once, lets
not do it again. Ok............ :wink:
I totally agree 100%. Althought for the actual MK, its should be DH but he must a be an older version sorta like a new Devon Miles. Then we'll bring a new kid in to get to meet and get used to KITT and that will add a lil funny part to the film. Also KARR is the best villian because of how KITT vs. KARR ended, what better, or maybe have Garthe bring KARR back as revenge, how bout that?

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:21 am

Hahahahaa, Hasselhoff? Play Devon? Hahahahahahaha. Not only does he not look liek Mulhare but he isn't the least bit British. The one suggestion would be that Michael is filling Devon's ROLE, that is, he was promoted and there's a new star operative. I understand that, but Hasselhoff playing Devon? That would be rediculous, if they were going to do as you suggest, why wouldn't they just hire a different British guy? By your logic, there's no reason for Hasselhoff to be in it at all.

The Dukes of Hazzard doesn't really have a continuing storyline. Two kids in a Dodge Charger escaping the doofy cop, there isn't really that much of a plot, that's why they just got new characters and did what they did in the show.

Knight Rider, on the other hand, had a real storyline, the whole Knight Foundation, FLAG, ranks, bosses, mechanics, operatives, home base etc. etc. SO it would make perfect sense that Michael (played by Hasselhoff) would simply get promoted and remain working at FLAG and there would be another star operative. (I say star operative because I'm sure FLAG had more than one, there was just one KITT - kinda like 007 and MI6 :lol:)

Understand?

kitt.pl
Recruit

Post by kitt.pl » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:27 am

I repeat this:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knight Rider - JUST THE JOB FOR HASSELHOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Knight is David Hasselhoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

He is the only who can play Michael Knight

KITT without Hasselhoff = not Knight Rider

Hasselhoff must back as Michael with KITT

and KITT ofcourse must be William Daniels.

Hasselhoff comeback behind the wheel of KITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are one and only Michael Knight in the world.

Hasselhoff still looks like Michael Knight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can`t imagine Knight Rider without him.

Every fan in Poland want to see Hasselhoff as Michael Knight with KITT
We don`t want another actor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hasselhoff is the best for this role!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please David come back as Michael Knight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps.sorry for my english but i still learning

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:35 am

I shall repeat the previously stated dilema:

How does David make a movie that will capture a new audience without pissing off the old one? I guess he can't. There will always be those who want to see the old car, those who want to see a 4th gen (me), and those who want to see something other than a T/A. Btw, what happened to that guy who sketched those 4th gen KITT drawings? I'd really like to see them again.

I saw this way back at the 2001 Nat's, I thought it looked awesome. I loved the longer 'Banshee' nose.
http://www.knightreplicas.com/database/ ... eplicaID=7
Give it black "bowling ball" hubs, a wrap around digital dash and bam, you got a sleek, updated KITT!

Last edited by BlazeFox on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:47 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:45 am

I'm just wondering if anyone cares about a "Knight Rider" movie ever being released at all?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
Sometimes I do care about the "Knight Rider" movie, but sometimes I really don't.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:16 pm

Lyn wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone cares about a "Knight Rider" movie ever being released at all? If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Perhaps that's how Dave is feeling?: "If ya can't make something that's gunna appeal to everyone, then why bother at all." Plus he hasta deal with the execs telling him the car shouldn't talk (may as well just make a VIPER movie, eh?) and possible lack of ideas for the story. The stuff I'm hearing about Michael in the future taking over for Devon and KARR coming back just sounds like an internet fanfic or a made-for-TV reunion special.

When companies do remakes they disreguard the old fanbase and they take creative liberties because your avg 10yo never watched and won't complain if something's wrong. New He-Man sucked but atleast they did a re-tell instead of a continuation w/ He-Man being 60 in the future and they allowed time to explain the backstory. KR has vital backstory that's needed to understand: Who is Michael Long? How'd he meet KITT?

Would the "Fantastic 4" movie have made any sense if they'd just started with the characters already having their super powers and not explaining how they got 'em? You already know, but the new audience needs to be told how Long became Knight.

Continued is fine for those who're already fans, but this movie shouldn't be just for those people. Besides, what timeline would it be in if it was a KR2000 continuation? 2010 or something? I'd assume by then EVERYONE has talking cars. I say re-tell the pilot episode, but in the PRESENT time where talking cars AREN'T common and people still have funny or scared reactions.
Last edited by BlazeFox on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:01 am, edited 8 times in total.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:26 pm

The show took place in the present, 1982-1986. SO why wouldn't the movie take place in 2005, 6, whatever?

"Continued is fine for those who're already fans, but this movie shouldn't be just for those people."

And why the hell not? :D

THE Mac
Volunteer

Post by THE Mac » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:56 pm

This has been in the Pre-production works since 1997 as far as I can recall
and there are some things I would like to make clear...

Cast: should be..

Michael Knight: Someone young from today (a role up for grabs)
Wilton Knight: Anthony Hopkins
Devon Miles: Patrick Stuart
KITT: William Daniels

just for starters there, and the movie should follow the plot of the original piolet "Knight of phoenix".
:kittspin:
Last edited by THE Mac on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Michael Knight, a lone crusader in a dangerous world, a world, of the Knight Rider".

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:36 am

Sounds like a Knightmare cast listing (j/k even though I do disagree with someone else being Michael).

As for the timeline, this is another thing that's been discussed several times: KITT's features or new features. Some of the technology he had is quite outdated now. You CAN have a car that talks to you - just get a mini ITX in-dash computer, Ultra Hal Assistant AI chat/assistant, and a few good strong microphones. Some have even put in video, etc. If I had the money, Dryden would definitely be talking. And he just may some day, hopefully. :) In fact, some cars DO talk now. Even back in KITT's day one of the first was the Chrysler New Yorker (which some stopped the talking part as it apparently was so annoying and wouldn't shut up ;) ) There's more common knowledge of robot cars such as DARPA projects and Evolve, as well as Honda's trials. Even today, a car with auto cruise - that you just steer, no need to do anything with the gas or maintain speed as the car will do that for you. (Actually, I think they had that in the 80s too). And the engines are stronger than in the past. Don't some of the latest offerings have 450hp engines? Or at least over 200hp.

So for KITT to be even "present day" he'd have to have stuff we can't even dream about yet. Not just stuff you normally see. The self-driving is one that is still not quite there yet (as mentioned, we only have auto cruise). I think some of the features they had in KIFT should be in KITT but still keep the T/A and Vox as they did, and no SPM modifications but have the car go at those speeds without changing form. Maybe the car should look slightly different though not that much. I'd say get the rear spoiler up there a little more (but not too high like ricers), don't modify the nose or have big fog lights in the nose (2nd/3rd season looks good for the schnoz). Definitely don't go jelly-bean too rounded like today's cars.

I dunno. I think if they keep things close to the original and not shock the current fans too suddenly with a "new car" but allow us to 'grow into' a new car, it might work. I liked KR2K when I saw it the 2nd time, but not crazy about the car. :?

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:19 am

I wish D. Hasselhoff luck in getting the right kind of movie to be made, not some rip-off of the original series........

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:22 am

cloudkitt wrote:The show took place in the present, 1982-1986. SO why wouldn't the movie take place in 2005, 6, whatever?
When I said "present" I meant OUR present. When I spoke of "continuation" I was referring to a KR2000 timeline with Michael taking over for the deceased Devon Miles and his son driving KITT. Such a timeline would be baffling because the 2000's are now, we're living in them. KR2K's 2005 would be very different from OUR 2005 just as George Orwell's "1984" (written in 1949) is very different from the real 1984. People in KR2K's 2005 already have talking cars, you'd lose the hilarity of watching folks freak out.
cloudkitt wrote:"Continued is fine for those who're already fans, but this movie shouldn't be just for those people." -- Why the hell not?
Why should the movie NOT be just for the longtime fans who already know the backstory? Because the movie should be comprehensible and enjoyable not just for KR-fans, but for everyone. Remakes are either done to A: Make money off something old, or B: Get your kids interested in something from your own childhood. It won't be doing either if the new movie doesn't make sense and impress the new potential audience. Back in the days when Internet was just a dream, the old KITT was amazing.

Where's that guy with the 4th gen KITT sketches???
I know you're around here somewhere.... >_<

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:20 pm

Oh, well I should make one thing perfectly clear, I want the movie to be in the present, but I want the movie, Knight Rider 2000, to be completely and totally disregarded. And I don't think that's an unreasonable wish. Both Hasselhoof and Glen Larsen (the people writing the new movie) hated KR2000, so I think they'd agree with me that, if the movie is in the present, that KIFT, bulletless guns, the girl, Michael leaving the Foundation, everything should be completely ignored. They should have a new way how Devon died. Maybe the same way Wilton Knight did, inducting the new star operative :lol:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:34 pm

cloudkitt wrote: They should have a new way how Devon died. Maybe the same way Wilton Knight did, inducting the new star operative :lol:
I know you were joking but if they seriously did that the problem is that it would make the whole thing contradict itself and muddle things up and that's the last thing that we need to happen.

I wouldn't put it past them to actually do this and ignore certain things, which would be totally ignorant.

Facts in storylines should stay the way they are once they have been done, IMO.

I could think of other franchises, movies ones in particular, that have contradicted themselves and as a result, have turned out to be a complete mess.

It's also a sign of laziness on the writer's part not to come up with a solution to keep facts in storylines the same but at the same time, overcome and fit it all together.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:09 pm

cloudkitt wrote:Hahahahaa, Hasselhoff? Play Devon? Hahahahahahaha. Not only does he not look liek Mulhare but he isn't the least bit British. The one suggestion would be that Michael is filling Devon's ROLE, that is, he was promoted and there's a new star operative. I understand that, but Hasselhoff playing Devon? That would be rediculous, if they were going to do as you suggest, why wouldn't they just hire a different British guy? By your logic, there's no reason for Hasselhoff to be in it at all.

The Dukes of Hazzard doesn't really have a continuing storyline. Two kids in a Dodge Charger escaping the doofy cop, there isn't really that much of a plot, that's why they just got new characters and did what they did in the show.

Knight Rider, on the other hand, had a real storyline, the whole Knight Foundation, FLAG, ranks, bosses, mechanics, operatives, home base etc. etc. SO it would make perfect sense that Michael (played by Hasselhoff) would simply get promoted and remain working at FLAG and there would be another star operative. (I say star operative because I'm sure FLAG had more than one, there was just one KITT - kinda like 007 and MI6 :lol:)

Understand?
If you are talking to me I am going to say that I meant for Hasselhoff to stay MK but be a mentor like Devon.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:46 pm

No, i wasn't talking to you, i know what you meant.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:48 pm

i know if the producers wanted to they could 'meet our' expectations as knight rider fans...and im certain as long as they have certain things in the movie that make knight rider knight rider itself as we used to see it but done a little better with up to date staging, that will satisfy a lot of minds out there who are waiting for the movie.

as long as the movie has: KITT and his original voice and personality (same with KARR), an actor that is suitable enough for Michael Knight's character (better yet DHasselhoff) and Devon Miles, a good knight rider-like plot-it will make the world go round a LOT smoother.

and i think if the knight rider movie does well in this respect, it will turn out a hell of a lot better than Dukes of Hazzard. (*coughs* even though i haven't seen the movie yet -_-....i always have faith that knight rider will always be better than Dukes of Hazzard...)

-i think many people here feel the same way about the movie production.....:D----and theyd better make a KR movie-heck they made a dukes of hazzard movie, why not knight rider?
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 pm

Well as for the age thing?

I have heard David say "knight Rider is Kinda like the Amercian James Bond"

Well James Bond was born in 1953, so not much diffrent in age, and I ain't heard anyone comment on him being to old.

And I agree Knight Rider 2000 should be disregarded.

One thing is for sure, its going be an exciting day if KR goes into production.

Then a long wait while it gets completed, but hay, I think we could deal with that if we knew it was happening for sure.