Are You With Or Against The New KR Movie

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Do You Like The New Idea For A New KR Movie Or Not

Think Its A Good Idea
96%
Think Its A Bad Idea
4%

Total votes: 52

K.I.A.N
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Are You With Or Against The New KR Movie

Post by K.I.A.N » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:38 am

Do you think this new Knight Rider movie is a good idea or a bad idea.

I don't think its possible there can be another movie. It would have a bad cast replacing the original and I don't even want to know what the plot is going to be about. I really don't think a new KR movie would be a good idea and I doubt it will ever happen. To many things would change for the worse and the original cast would be getting too old. Overal I just think its a bad idea and would end up being a flop like KR2000. (And once again damn them for killing Devon! :evil: )
Fan Of The New Knight Rider!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:08 am

I think that they will make it and make it a good movie. Paul from Knight Rider Archive even talked to Glen Larsen himself who's involved in the movie and they are making VERY sure it's what fans expect. So no need to worry - it'll be great, I'm sure. :) And yes, David Hasselhoff will be in it as Michael Knight! :) I hear they may use the original T/A but with more features but that's all being kept secret. I can't wait to see what they come up with! :)

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:16 am

I support the Knight Rider movie 110%

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:13 am

Hopefully the new "Knight Rider" movie turns out to be
a good one, and that the movie itself will have some funny moments like the original series did, too.
I hope for the best for this movie to be made.....

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:56 am

As long as K.I.T.T will be voiced by william daniels (otherwise is won't be KITT) , and as long as he will be an 82 trans am - the movie is fine by me.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:41 am

I definitely want to see a movie and I also agree with citizen_x. If William Daniels doesn't do KITT, there's no point in seeing it, but since David and Glen are working on it, I think that's probably their top priorty.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:42 pm

This is how to make a good film, IMO:

Must feature Hasselhoff in a BIG role

NO or little CGI as possible

KITT MUST talk, preferable voiced by Daniels

Mustn't have a storyline that's too outlandish

No MTV style to it

That's what I can think of right now.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:34 pm

I'm 100% for the movie and feel confident that with Larson and Hasselhoff at the helm, it will be done right. I agree with Skav but just want to add one more thing: no over-the-top vehicle. Since it's a movie about a high-tech car, naturally you would think you'd need a vehicle that could blow everything else away that we've seen in other movies like the Tumbler in Batman Begins, for example. They should keep the same qualities that K.I.T.T. always had in the series, where the basic idea was to be just a few steps ahead of what we have now, but advanced enough that the car won't get dated quickly. Believablity is key.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:11 pm

Ah, forgot to add that one, I agree with you.

No hulk of a vehicle, just a regular but very nice car that we more or less would get used to seeing every day but that can do many things that aren't possible now.

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:26 pm

I hope they will use the SPM feature on both the original KITT and the new KITT if there is one. Maybe they will include a hover flight mode as one of KITTs new features. I also hope they will mention KARR in the upcoming film. :D

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:20 pm

Keeping "one step ahead" without being "over the top" in the movie (remember they first one blew everyone away because computers weren't that good back in the 80s) - it'll be hard.

Cars now days have loads of computer processors in them and any car which needs a computer to operate an engine (ie. unhook the battery and if you can't start it, you have a robot car, technically). Some cars can even talk. But not conversational though they are working on that too. The Evolve and other projects (including DARPA) have cars that can drive without a driver. Via has mini ITX motherboards used in in-dash car computers - normal PCs that can be put in the dashboard. Not to mention the fact that you can get a conversational chatbot (zabaware.com) which can talk back to you, even with voice recognition for under $40! You could load that in one of the mini ITX in-dash computers and with a few microphones and video cameras (like the ones that replica builders use) and you have a GENUINE talking and reacting KITT!

So, for them to be "just a bit better" they may have to go "over the top" AS COMPARED TO the ORIGINAL KITT from the 80s (who, btw, didn't even have a CD player :) ).

Even the KR2000 movie they have some of that technology (except the stun gun of course) incorporated in it.

My idea would be to enhance KITT a bit, like for instance:

SAME voice (William Daniels) and sense of humor, but a bit more human-like, but not too much to be not the same old logical KITT we know. But a little hint like maybe hitting on (VERY BRIEFLY) ONE girl around Michael just to show him that it was KITT and NOT Michael all those years that brought KITT all the girls. ;) And KITT being so succesfull the girl kisses KITT's scanner and ignores Michael! :) Humorous moment and just maybe KITT would point out how much better he is at EVERYTHING, even Michael's own game! ;) Then point out after the girl leaves the he really doesn't have no need to pursue women like Michael (who could say well, I'll just tell her and KITT say, well, you did the same kind of thing :) ) A little more gutsy type exchanges but only A LITTLE, nothing too far off what KITT normally is like!

KARR should be even more sinister, but in the end, end up on their side, but still dangerous as ever.

KITT should have all the forensic and medical sensors and other sensors he's always had but enhanced a little more.

He can also have Fax, internet access, access still to secret computers, ability to access virutally any computer no matter how protected, ability to make phone calls (cell or otherwise).

He should be able to electronically jam anything electrical, cars, open electronic locks. Laser to open manual operated things or cut through things.

Should have DVD, CD, Flash/memory card readers, and... a computer keyboard where Michael can even access computer-related things from within the car (why didn't they think of that in the series? They always worked on the computer stuff at the semi or offices).

And instead of a wrist watch, an IMPLANT though not detectable to human eye, that reads brain wave signals and other things to find where Michael is, and he can think instead of speak to KITT and KITT can understand him via the enhancements in the implant. Actually, stuff like that has been done - people controlling a computer via brain implant. I read an article once about a scientist that did just that. But of course it's experimental and WAY WAY off from being reality. But, because of it, it's not too unfeasable and these days with Viro chip tracking devices people might soon be able to get implanted in them (one family in Florida already has), it would not be too "over the top" if KITT could literally read Michael's (or anyone with that type of implant) mind! Though only limited as in he can't tell what they are thinking, just can listen for instructions and talk back to the humans via that type of implant. Michael would have to access KITT by specifically thinking and picturing KITT somehow even slightly in his mind. Dreams would be detected by brain wave changes so KITT wouldn't get confused over real or not real thoughts. :) Otherwise, Micheal can think other things and KITT won't know unless the implant was still active. Sorta like you think about KITT, say something, the line stays open so many seconds for communcation and closes then if no other communications either way have been made. A privacy thing. :) And it would of course need to have it's limitations and range in case Michael is kidnapped and then finds he's out of range to find KITT. He'd have more range than the Comlink but still won't be perfect. :)

Stuff like that. And yes, I agree the same Trans Am body style KITT always had should be used. And same 3-bar Vox box as well. The interior should look only SLIGHTLY different but not too different.

Would be nice. And too - KARR wouldn't have those upgrades, giving them the advantage there. :)

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:37 am

Only if the movie would turn out to be something like KR2000, then I'd consider it a bad idea.
If the movie will be done right, then I support it completely. It would be great to see again new adventures of Michael Knight & KITT :D I'd like to see KITT in the old '82 TA even in the beginning of the film, then they could transfer him into some new, preferrably black sleek car. I'd also want them continue where they left at 4th season of the original series and forget about KR2000 movie. Only they could borrow some footage from KR2000 to explain why Devon isn't there anymore.
It is very good sign that Glen A. Larson and DH are working on it, they even turned down a company that didn't want KITT talking, that's a good sign they want to do this movie right :D

-KITTfan-

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:14 am

Im for the movie. But, if they make KITT a thug'd out pimpmobile with suede interior and Chrome wheels, be ready to hit the brake so I can step off this bandwagon. :?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:17 pm

I'm thinking the KR movie will do very well if they keep true to the original series. The new generation of kiddos seem to lap up everything I did as a kid 20 years ago....why not KR too? :D

Honestly, walk down a toy aisle. I feel like I'm back in the 80's. As much as I love nostolgia, would it kill them to come up with some new toys?

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:03 am

I just got done watching The World is Not Enough. After seeing those action scenes...if this Kr movie is done right, it will be VERY VERY cool. However, it will be dangerously easy to screw up (though maybe not as royally as with KR2000).

Now, I'm not quite as nitpicky as some of you, but I still agree.

As for the little to no CGI as possible, would be cool, but don't hold your breath ESPECIALLY if they use the old Trans Am body. They aren't in the same abundance for them to destroy like they were back then. Forget costs, CGI might be needed to preserve CARS. And, after keeping an eye on this Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children movie, my faith in CGI has upped considerably.

Obviously William Daniels MUST voice the car, that's simply a no-give issue. Someone proposed the idea that there would be a new driver AND a new car (but Michael and KITT would still be there). If that becomes truth, I'm not sure what they'll do about the new car...William Daniels can't voice both, that would be quite confusing. I also agree, the voicebox shouldn't change and even if the car model does, the scanner must remain (and I doubt they would, that car is IDENTIFIED by those 2 features)

Abilities...that is tough, modern technology has advanced considerably and KITT's special abilities aren't quite so amazing. (save jumping and invincibility) As far as his scanners go, switch his screens off Atari graphics and sounds and KITT'll already look amazing with that little change.

I don't wanna watch Hasselhoff (or anyone else) have sex in KITT's back seat, Hollywood will have to take it easy, but they won't.

Oh, and ignore Knight Rider 2000 as part of the storyline. KIFT, the girl, and bulletless guns never existed, and come up with a new way that Devon died...disgraceful movie....

I think that's all I have for now...IF they get it right, i think its a fantastic idea, its a cool show with a promising storyline, in the right hands, it'll make a sweet action flick, nostalgia or not.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:13 am

CGI is good for animated movies which is exactly what Final Fantasy is but it can look unconvincing in movies, especially if a movie TOTALLY relies on CGI.

Part of KR's charm was that all the stunts were real and not fake, they need to emulate this as much as possible, KITT seemed real when doing these genuine jumps and spins.

I would think that the appeal of KITT would go a little bit down the drain if they are faked out.

But I do understand about the costs of the car's and I'm not sure how they could work around that.

Concerning the nostaligia factor, they need to make it appeal to the old fans as well, which in turn, should bring back the nostalgia...if it's all mtv style for the new audiences like a Fast and the Furious, then I'm not sure how the older fans will take it.

I, for one, won't be impressed, considering a lot of films today have a lot of fancy CGI effects and teen actors.

It just won't fit KR at all.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:10 pm

Im so for the movie. I agree Hasselhoff should have a big role, and of course KITT 80s black trans am....
Dukes of Hazard was remade....but I hear that was over the top...in a not so good way.
Hopefully it will be REALLY COOL!
I wish there was some way to get our in put or suggestions to David Hasselhoff, but I dont know if he ever really reads messages sent to him since he must have a zillion.

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:35 am

I;m for a new movie!!! :)

knight girl

Mblackphoenix
Rookie

Post by Mblackphoenix » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:39 am

I`m for the movie too.
And I think, that if people do their job good, the movie can be good too. :)
Only the story makes. (And here you can do a lot. Write it so that happened things, go to coming things.)
And when G.A. Larsons does the work it become probably a good work. :)

Unfortunately the german voice of KITT, Gottfried Kramer, is died for some years, and so we german have no big hope of hearing ourer KITT once again in the new movie.
With computers today it`s possible to copy it, but if the responsible people take this possibility, isnt said. :(
Greetings

Phoenix / Sabine

andrewd
Recruit

Post by andrewd » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:11 am

I'M ALL FOR IT. ANY UPDATE ON WHEN IT'S GONNA HAPPEN ??

ANDREW..

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:51 pm

I'm totally for the new movie. in fact, i'm very e xcited about it...but i just hope they dont make knight rider look really bad, ya know? -_-. that'd be.......uh...humilitating if they screwed it up when they could do a really good job.

i have faith though....:D
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:02 am

Did anyone hear about the Dukes of Hazzard movie? The actor that played the mechanic on that show slammed it. He highly discouraged fans of the show from seeing it. Apparently, they profaned it and sexed it up to the point where, once again, its lost any and all charm.

Now I never really saw the Dukes of Hazzard (an episode I think), but, I ask you, how many remakes is it gonna take before Hollywood realizes that the shows back then were popular for a reason, and altering it to what THEY THINK makes things good today totally ruins it. They did the same thing to Bewitched, from what I hear. I'm exceedingly glad that Hasselhoff and Larsen are being so protective and steadfast of Knight Rider, but it's a question that eats at me, how many remakes will it take?

That's why, above and beyond my excitement for it, I hope they do Knight Rider the way it SHOULD be done and have it sell well, and maybe, JUST MAYBE knock some sense to the idiots over there that think they know what people like.

*end rant* :lol:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:15 am

Yes, I was going to post that in the off-topic Dukes thread, but decided not to since I already had a few posts in a row. I doubt Knight Rider will share the same fate because it is being made by the people involved with the show unlike The Dukes Of Hazzard.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:35 am

indeed. i have faith that the new knight rider movie will definitely make a difference. and will really laugh in the DofHazzard fans' faces out there, that got the 'wrong idea of knight rider'. yall get what i mean? for i hope you do. :?

(uh no offense to any people who also like Dukes of Hazzard here. I dont not like Dukes of Hazzard, i still just prefer knight rider...)

AND I KNOW SINCE THERE ARE PEOPLE WORKING ON THE MOVIE WHO WORKED ON THE KRIDER SHOW WILL MAKE IT MUCH MORE ORIGINAL AND REALLY GIVE OFF THE IMPRESSION THAT KNIGHT RIDER SHOULD OBTAIN.

My bro likes DofHazzard and i dont know WHY. it just doesn't make sense to me! He thinks knight rider is okay...but still...

(woo, my 100th post, go me *cough*. it sure took a while 8))
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

KnightRiderXR7
Volunteer

Post by KnightRiderXR7 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:29 am

as long as it's not a circus show, and true to the series, I'm all for it... in fact, I'll be the first in to see it!