Knight Rider could have kept going.

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

RexxBravo
Stranger
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider could have kept going.

Post by RexxBravo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:11 pm

Back when Knight Rider was falling in the rating. Glen Larson and the shows writers could have created a Team Knight Riders. With RC leading a crack team to help out Mike and KITT. This could have saved the show while caring for a new crop of heroes.
"Kitt I need ya buddy"

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:17 pm

That would of just made it cheesy and desperate for an audience.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

RexxBravo
Stranger

Post by RexxBravo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:25 pm

Maybe or maybe not. It would have depend on the writers and howt hey would have handle it.
"Kitt I need ya buddy"

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:53 pm

Ehh... not so much. My opinion: TKR, KR2000 and KR2010 all messed things up. It just wasn't the same. I love Knight Rider and all, but sometimes you need to let dead (er, sleeping) dogs lie. Like they messed up Herbie and Dukes of Hazard by bringing them back. Plus, the reason Knight Rider died -I think- was because there were no more new plots left to use!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:44 pm

KR had two paths the way I see it if it kept running. 1) cheesy beyond belief (Super-SPM with licerice dispenser) or 2)sci-fi soap opera like the new Battlestar Galatica and Stargate (killing off main characters, romances, etc.). Back in the 80s it would have gone route 1 as then route 2 would have assured death. I could see KITT gaining the ability of flight or something equaly goofy in the 5th season opener. The concept of KR when it was good (season 2 & 3) had just lost it's charm with the viewers I think. Season 4 with it's outlandish plots and what not was proof that they were trying all they could to keep interest. Heck by season 5 they may have added a super intelligent chimp to the cast :lol: No mater how good or bad the show became I just think the viewers moved on. It's probably a good thing that it did. Absense makes the heart grow fonder. Had it became an even more campy mess would we have such fond memmories 20 some years later? Look at Star Trek. Sure it only had 3 seasons, but the future opened up for it with better spinoffs and movies. I think KR will live in the future even if it looked to have died in the past.

As for TKR as much as I like it they clearly went the idiot route also. I think 1997 could have handled a serious KR like Battlestar. It probably would have lasted longer.

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:03 pm

Maybe if they would have focused on making KARR appear in more episodes, to create a bigger rivalry between KITT and KARR, could have kept the viewers interested.

I definetly think that KR will live on in the future because it made such an impact on people when it first came out.

Keon2005
Rookie

Post by Keon2005 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:15 pm

Well It wasnt just Knight Rider, all shows featuring an action vehicle/machine in the 80s were cancelled around 1985/1986 such as Dukes of Hazzard(General Lee), The A-Team (van), The Fall Guy(Colt's Truck), Hardcastle & McCormick(Coyote). Even ABC Cancelled "Street Hawk" after one season. I think networks realized that the days of Cars being stars on TV was over. You didn't see another series again with a car until 1994 when "Viper" premiered. Even then it was cancelled after one season but picked up in syndication. And don't forget "Airwolf". Which was cancelled in 1986. The only TV cars that lasted the longest in the 80s was Magnum's Ferrari 308 GTS, and Miami Vice's Ferrari.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:06 pm

I think the networks wanted to get rid of all the TV cars to make way for something else, which was not the best decision at all, especially now that all the networks have going for them is tacky reality TV---and nothing else!
I was bummed when "Knight Rider" was cancelled; Michael and KITT could've had at least one more season fighting the bad guys with RC along for the ride....... Just my opinion.

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:11 pm

I think it is always better for something to end, leaving someone wanting more; rather than having something go through an agonizing end....(Little House on the Prarie comes to mind....)

Just think how icky everyone would feel if Season 5 had been a bunch of episodes on par with Vodoo Knight? Probably would have decked Kitt out with a Plasma Cannon and Time Travel feature....

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:59 pm

I don’t know about another season. But I think they should have done a couple more episodes. There’s some storylines I would have liked to have seen make it to screen.

More episodes like Voo Doo Knight? Thanks, Fantine. Now I'm going to have nightmares. :lol:

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:59 am

They should have just gave it a break for a few years, re run the other seasons a bit and then made a new season in say 89 90.

as it is even if the film gets made and released by next year its going be a big 20 years before a new vesion.

Btw I did not include KR 2000 or Team Knightr Rider becuase I would sooner forget them 8)

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:44 pm

I have to admit, even though I am disappointed there are only the limited number of original series, both of KR and Battlestar, if they had gone on, they might have deteriorated, as Battlestar Galactica did when it came back.

The originals are now classics, and always will be, like the work of George Stubbs! If they just went on and on they would have just fizzled out, like the X Files, as it is, they stand as examples of how good and inspirational tv can actually be.

marctronixx
Recruit

Post by marctronixx » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:58 pm

thanks top us, the fans, KR is still living.if it wanst for the original fan base back in the day, they would not waste their time with trying to produce a movie today.

all good things will come to an end and KR was no exception.. car or no..

KITT MARK 2
Recruit

Post by KITT MARK 2 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:46 am

The ep with Michael and Stevie's wedding should've been the series finale as it was intended. Probably woulda left a better taste in fan's mouths.
--KNIGHT INDUSTRIES TEN THOUSAND

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:42 am

I think they should of keep going. Look at baywatch.... that went on forever and how man different ways can you save someone from drowning? Kinda the same thing, don't you think?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:14 pm

If they had waited till later to bring back the show it wouldn't have been KR. KR is one of those shows that needs to have the cheesy 80s back drop. Like Miami Vice or Austin Powers' 1960s it as much of the show as is Michael or KITT. The new movie will also be totally different from what we remember as well.

As for Battlestar Galactica, I couldn't stand the original and the new ones' camera angles and close ups give me motion sickness and I can't follow half the plot twists (who's a Cylon and who isn't). My girlfriends brother loves it and never misses an epsisode but I don't get it. I will admidt it is better than the original story wise and overall, but I like the original characters better.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:38 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:
Season 4 with it's outlandish plots and what not was proof that they were trying all they could to keep interest. Heck by season 5 they may have added a super intelligent chimp to the cast
What was so outlandish about the plots of season 4?

Season 2 and 3 were full of plots involving doubles of kitt and michael, state of the art lasers, gold treasure, rockets being transported in the back of a truck that could blow practically anything up etc....

Season 4 had the most realistic plots out of all the seasons and was the most gritty. It HAD to rely on the plots because Universal were no longer giving out as much money for the show as they used to so the plots weren't outlandish as such, because if they were, more money would have been given to make them so.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:52 am

Season 4 gets a bad wrap because it ended the show with Voo Doo Knight. First off, it had the best season opener of any of them. Second, it had a fair amount of good episodes. I was reading Knight Rider Legacy the other day, I was going through season four and it kept saying "and here the show would take a turn for the worse" then I'd turn the page and it would say, "Another bright spot in Season 4" or "Another standout episode of the 4th season."

It's not the best, not by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't low-quality either. I'd take Voo Doo Knight over Mouth of the Snake ANY day.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"