Buying a model Kitt

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Buying a model Kitt

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:03 am

I know there are a few models you can buy on ebay to build.I was wanting one that you don't have to paint.I think this one is it.I just want to see what its supposed to look like when its finished.Anyone have any pictures of it completed?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:49 am

My MPC KITT is still unbuilt so I can't send you any pics of it yet. However here's a link that may help you. If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you'll get to know the different kinds of KITT models that were released since 1983 up to the ERTL reissue in 2002.

Link: http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Kitt/Kitt.html

Another link: http://www.spencer1984.com/my_models/krkitt.html

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:20 pm

I just got this at the gm nationals. No plastic on the outside, but the parts were all in their original bags (unopened) and the instructions were there. The info about winning the corvette or whatever was there, too. If you do put this together let me know how hard/easy it was. I don't know if I want to put it together or not.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:35 pm

I have 3 AMT/Ertl reissue kits and they are molded in grey except the wheels and a couple other things in chrome. Dave Knight is one to ask about the different models and how to accurately assemble them, trust me. :) We also have other modelers here that are good with advice. Hopefully one fo these guys will pop in to answer questions...

I haven't started my KITT and KARRs yet. I am STILL trying to find time to FINISH my Smokey and the Bandit model! LOL!

There are some things that you have to be mindful as for accuracy on some of these models though. I think there was mention about the AMT/Ertl re-issue tail lights being too rounded. Dave told me to get some styrene sheet and make blackouts from them and use those instead of what comes with the kit.

As for easy snap-together and no paint, I don't know of any that is accurate enough to look good and not need at least a little paint. Besides, that's half the fun of building models. :) If you want one already put together, keep your eye on eBay as maybe some may be selling off fully complete (and hopefully pretty well done) kits. Or try saving up for a die cast, perhaps.

But I do encourage you guys to give kit building a try. It does take some patience, but is lots of fun. :)

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can find any of these models at a local store or hobby shop or something?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:38 pm

rulloa81 wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows if I can find any of these models at a local store or hobby shop or something?
The AMT/ERTL reissue model kits are very hard to find in model/toy shops now. They were released way back in 2002 and were quickly bought by hobbyists and collectors/modelers. The internet and/or ebay is the best place to order if you definitely must have one.

PS: One of our members here, Dave Knight has a sealed model kit up for sale. PM him for details in case you're interested.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:34 am

yup, i STILL have it

Click HERE for info, price and shipping is in the first part of the thread, if he doesnt want it, somebody here MUST want it :lol:
Last edited by Dave Knight on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:37 am

rulloa81 wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows if I can find any of these models at a local store or hobby shop or something?
These cars are being "(DISCONTINUED)" this year from all retail outlets!
you will be very lucky to find one on a shelf somewhere?....or you can order direct online >>http://www.modelroundup.com/amt20008.html

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:00 am

Makes me very glad I picked up the ones I did. And thanks to Dave also an original issue KIFT. :)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:42 am

We are veering off topic here.I wanted to see pics of the car completed.This model I think doesn't need paint.Anyone have any pics of this exact model complete?

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:32 pm

K.A.R.R. from kitt v.s. karr!>> Image/Image/Image

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Knight Racer wrote:We are veering off topic here.I wanted to see pics of the car completed.This model I think doesn't need paint.Anyone have any pics of this exact model complete?
The model pictured is molded in black and chrome with clear plastic windshields. If you select to build it without paint, the exterior will be black, the rims will all be chrome (including the bowling ball caps) and the interior seats and upholstery black. If you really must build it without paint, that particular boxed model will be ok. The 2002 AMT/ERTL reissue is molded in light gray (pretty good for a rehab KITT).

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:14 am

Do you have any pics of how it looks like complete?What season dash does it have?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:21 am

Knight Racer wrote:Do you have any pics of how it looks like complete?What season dash does it have?
Pics of an unpainted model? I'm afraid not, all the pics that I have seen in the internet are painted models. All of them have the 1st season 2-TV dash.