how did kitt change gears?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

how did kitt change gears?

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:54 am

this is some thing ive always wanted to know howd kitt change gears?

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:57 am

He had an auto gearbox. the real car was a 3 speed auto but the 'real KITT' was supposed to have something like an 8 speed box capable of handling the turbine engines power.

In just about every episode it will show michael shifting into gears or KITT shifting himself into gears if hes in auto cruise

Scott

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:48 am

But when KITT shifted, it looks like a normal GM 3-speed automatic transmission shifter on the console. :lol: I think KITT was auto transmission (ie. no clutch on the floor). As for the show cars, they were the automatic transmissions.

As to how they got the car to shift on it's own without someone's hand being shown, I think (though this may not be how they actually did it), it COULD have been that they had a console torn out of a car and someone went underneath and moved the shifter, so they filmed that part. And just reused it in any scene where KITT needs to go. Same with the accellerator petal. Notice how when KITT goes, it MOVES to the left a bit and maybe down. Again, probably out-of-car prop which was filmed and reused. Real gas petals don't shift to the left when you press on them. Would be rather dangerous or hard to work with on a real car, I would think, as your foot would have more probability of slipping off the petal.

sickrick05
Volunteer

Post by sickrick05 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:03 am

KITT had an automatic transmission and no clutch at all.