1983 Kenner Talking KITT

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Goldwings
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

1983 Kenner Talking KITT

Post by Goldwings » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:04 am

The other day I snagged the 83 talking KITT off of ebay. It was in awesome condition, but the voice does not work. I was really shocked upon opening it up to see what the problem could possibly be and found the whole system to run off of a turn table. I am also afraid that I might have stratched it with the needle out of sheer ignorance. :( Is there a way to repair records? I heard there was a way with a special oil, tho I know this is a diffrent kind of plastic; not too sure if it would work. I would also like to know is there a common problem with all the toys that this could be and a way to fix it.

Thanks a million! ^^

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:47 pm

So you actually opened up the voice box, whats inside like?? i've managed to get mine to work without opening them.

ad227529
Rookie

Post by ad227529 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:45 am

i keep meaning to record mine onto my computer so at least if the voice box does ever go out, i'll still be able to listen to it. lot of childhood memories attached to that voice box : )

C_Matt
Volunteer

Post by C_Matt » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:08 pm

ad227529 wrote:i keep meaning to record mine onto my computer so at least if the voice box does ever go out, i'll still be able to listen to it. lot of childhood memories attached to that voice box : )
Upload it and share! :D

ad227529
Rookie

Post by ad227529 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:27 am

C_Matt wrote:
ad227529 wrote:i keep meaning to record mine onto my computer so at least if the voice box does ever go out, i'll still be able to listen to it. lot of childhood memories attached to that voice box : )
of course!

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:49 pm

ad227529 wrote:
C_Matt wrote:
of course!
That would be awesome! Maybe I could even go to current chips rather than attempting to fix the old turntable in it. It would certainly last longer! :shock:

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:11 am

SWEET!

I finally got it to work! I had to ajust some stuff, but it finally started to speak! ^___^

I also took all the sratches out of the windshield with some crome polish and it looks like new/lightly played with now. All this plus the origenal box came to like 48 bucks on ebay, and thats with the shipping.

I'm a happy camper needless to say! :D

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:48 am

You came up better on your kenner kitt than I did on mine that just arrived today!....I won the bid on it for $1.49 it had missing doors and the right pillar was broken and the voice mod was rusted badly and wrapped in a plastic baggy and so on!....the make a long story short this kitt will become a 4th season convertible and the windows are scratched up pretty bad ,so I will just make a new front windshield from clear plasitc and recraft the dash and nose and give the body a whole allover paint job!
and not to mention building pods too!

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Work in progress!?!?!?!?........

Post by sheltonw3 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:30 am

well the first stages are turning out very good with modifying the body,nose and dash ,soon I hope to print out the 4th season dash graphics and decal it on and then fabricate some kinda rear cover panel and create a rear spoiler from scratch!....and also figure out how to mount the digital chips since the old voice mod unit is totally shot!

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Wow, that is gonna be so cool when it's done. ^^

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:11 am

Whoa, can't wait to see it! Years ago I wanted to order another Voice Car off eBay and paint it silver to be K.A.R.R. I'm glad I actually have a real one now in die-cast metal.

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

stage 2

Post by sheltonw3 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:53 am

I have finally gotten the rear cover fabricated and the dash regrafted and the lower console was photo copied from mine own conversion!>>Image

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:12 am

Looking good! Furnish us with bigger closeup pics when its all done. :)

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:08 am

I hope to complete this car within a month or so?....I still need to get a couple sets of doors and fabricate a front windsheild and fix the license plate in place since I terminated the malfuctioning vox unit and I will put in a digital voice chip instead!.....and print out a 4th season dash and affix it to the regrafted dash and construct some pods since the pod frame is done!.....and then this will be my second 4th season kitt!

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

work in progress!!!!!!!!!!..............>>>>>

Post by sheltonw3 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:19 am

Stage 1 thru 3 from 1st season dash to 4th season with "C" button on the left pod!>> Image

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: work in progress!!!!!!!!!!..............>>>>

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:01 am

sheltonw3 wrote:Stage 1 thru 3 from 1st season dash to 4th season with "C" button on the left pod!>>
Wow! I'm impressed with just how accurate you were able to make that dashboard. My only criticism is how crappy your camera is! :lol: If you could only borrow a sharper quality camera that would be great. Looking good so far!

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:31 am

Lately I've had thoughts about modifying my Kenner KITT, even though it's in bad shape. Looks really good from what I've seen. I gotta agree, though. You need a better camera cause it's tough to see all the detailing.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:44 am

walter h. anderson wrote:Lately I've had thoughts about modifying my Kenner KITT, even though it's in bad shape.
That's all the more reason to modify it! I can't bear the thought of someone taking apart a perfectly good Voice Car! At least if it's already in bad shape it's less of a risk modifying it. After all, these things aren't too common anymore and sometimes go for hundreds of dollars on eBay.

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:17 am

this car that I got had a cracked roof and a broken pillar on the right side and some major scratches,but after making the repairs and a major paint job and a clear hand made windshield the car will look brand new and in a few days I will have another kenner kitt to swap parts with and convert into KARR!....and another Michael Knight action figure to alter into Garth Knight!........and soon my next project will be a 2005 version of the semi for the 1/24 scale size kitt! :shock: