KITT vs General Lee, which car has more maneuverability

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT vs General Lee, which car has more maneuverability

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:21 pm

On the TV show "The Dukes of Hazzard", we see the General Lee in car chases, jumping over vehicles and obstacles, the same tricks KITT does on city streets and smooth roads, where the General Lee maneuvers best on dirt roads. One major advantage KITT has over the General Lee is that he can turbo boost over an obstacle just about anytime and anywhere, where the General has to locate a ramp or hill to jump over an obstacle.

I wished there could have been a KR episode where Michael & KITT visits Hazard County, where they encounter the General Lee & Bo & Luke Duke. I could easily picture KITT driving circles around the General Lee, leaving Bo & Luke in the dust. I could also picture Bo & Luke attempting to make a jump over a lake, where out of nowhere, we se Michael & KITT turbo boosting over them, causing the General to crash, as they touch land and drive past Bo & Luke, laughing. :D
Last edited by KNIGHT RAIDER on Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:46 pm

No question about it...KITT has more maneuverability.
Remember, the General Lee was scratch-built by a couple of farmers with help from a greasy mechanic. KITT, on the other hand, was designed and custom-built by several scientists, engineers, and computer technicians at FLAG.

KARR said it best: "I'm designed for virtually every condition."

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:28 am

It would be soo cool to see all the celebrity tv/ movie cars match up against KITT in an all star car race. I could picture a whole slew of cars, from the General Lee to the red Ferrari from Magnum PI, the Batmobile from the movie, the Delorean time machine, the Trans Am from Smokey & the Bandit, Christine, Ecto 1, The Car, Herbie, the Mach 5, and every other misfit car wanna be, racing against KITT :D

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:06 am

KITT can virtually win over any conventional car in any race (including the Batmobile, looks like this car may lack in maneuverability). But a race with "supernatural" vehicles? What about Christine and/or the car from The Wraith? I remember distinctly when the hood of The Wraith's car was lifted...the engine was enormous and was shrouded in active white lightning! Man, talk about a visual show-off.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:13 am

Two words: rocket assist.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:22 am

I still don't see how the General Lee is even comparable to K.I.T.T. at all. The old 80s advertisement said it best: "The Competition Is No Competition!" The General Lee, in its own right, is more of a character than a high-performance vehicle, not to mention that it has a Confederate flag!

Now the Dodge M4S "Interceptor" from The Wraith is a different story. Supernatural is definitely the way to go for any chance of competing with KITT.

Paul
Rookie

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:35 am

KNIGHT RAIDER wrote:It would be soo cool to see all the celebrity tv/ movie cars match up against KITT in an all star car race. I could picture a whole slew of cars, from the General Lee to the red Ferrari from Magnum PI, the Batmobile from the movie, the Delorean time machine, the Trans Am from Smokey & the Bandit, Christine, Ecto 1, The Car, Herbie, the Mach 5, and every other misfit car wanna be, racing against KITT :D
:D Wouldn't even be in the competition. Assuming a high-speed race, it would disappear (probably to 1955) as soon as it got to 88mph.

I agree this idea is cool though...I've considered writing a Knight Rider/Dukes crossover fanfic whereby Uncle Jesse calls FLAG for some problem or other and Michael has to visit Hazzard County...naturally while they're there, Michael hits on Daisy, Bo hits on Bonnie, KITT is disdainful toward the General Lee and Boss Hogg decides to steal KITT for his own purposes...

:D

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:40 am

Well we would have to throw the DeLorean out of the race. They can simply go back to get more time to cross the finish. That is no fair against KITT lol.

-Steve

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:44 am

Paul wrote::D Wouldn't even be in the competition. Assuming a high-speed race, it would disappear (probably to 1955) as soon as it got to 88mph.
Only if the Time Circuits are turned on. :)

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 pm

HondaSiR wrote:KITT can virtually win over any conventional car in any race (including the Batmobile, looks like this car may lack in maneuverability). But a race with "supernatural" vehicles? What about Christine and/or the car from The Wraith? I remember distinctly when the hood of The Wraith's car was lifted...the engine was enormous and was shrouded in active white lightning! Man, talk about a visual show-off.

Your right, the wraith car is the only compition if Kitt were "real" along with The Wraith car. I would think the wraith car would win in a race, but when Kitt would almost crash into him before he would blow up he would turbo boost over the car so Kitt would "die". :twisted:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:24 pm

Well, KITT had a bit of a problem in Ring of Fire and Speed Demons with off-road type stuff. He got out of the jams, yes, but complained bitterly about not being designed to handle such situations. Sometimes he even suffered some malfunctions as a result. April had to upgrade him to handle those things. :)

So I think that the General Lee does better offroad without special modifications where KITT needs special modifications for some off-road use. But once modified, I would say KITT obviously is tougher and stronger than the General Lee. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:47 pm

K.I.T.T. also received a suspension upgrade for off-road racing in "Knight Of a Thousand Devils." He then was upgraded with traction spikes for his tires in "Hills Of Fire" so that he was able to climb rocky terrain as well. I like to remember KITT as we last saw him (in the series) in "Voo Doo Knight" where he had all of these upgrades and could beat out the General.

While April did upgrade KITT, after Season 2 most of her features were never seen or used again.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:54 pm

I think this one goes to KITT, because of all the action in season 2 of the series.
Maybe the said gadgets and functions weren't seen or used again, those things were still a part of KITT.

Dale
Stranger

Post by Dale » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:43 pm

Hey Gang,

Actually there was a rivalry between the two shows.

To settle this rivalry there was a race set up between the two cars (General Lee and KITT).

The mechanics form the Dukes, built one heck of a General Lee,, super fast and handled the best...

The day of the race, KITT was all ready un loaded and waiting...when the General Lee was un loaded and the crew from Universal got a close look at it, Universal's crew loaded KITT back up and cancelled the race..

I have heard this story from many of the mechanics from both shows and Jack Gill also confirmed it...

Dale

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:04 pm

Well this discussion is focused on a what if scenario between a fictional KITT and a fictional General Lee based on their capabilities on-screen.

If a real life race was to be arranged, then I am sure a good team of mechanics can also configure the Trans Am to be a match for the Dodge Charger. Both cars can be equipped with racing suspension packages and both can accomodate race-bred engines. It's still a toss-up on who will win an actual race.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:15 am

If it were a real-life race between KITT's and General's real-life counterparts, the Charger would take it hands down. KITT is indeed cool, but let's face it, the 3rd generation Trans Am (like about every other 80s car) isn't what one would call high quality construction.

However, KITT could tear the General Lee apart. Especially if there are obstacles, then all KITT has to do is eliminate any and all conveniently place, ramp-shaped piles of dirt and jump on his own.

Now, I would like to see a match between KITT and the Mach 5, that would be a pretty cool race. Both can jump on their own have have their own abilities. KITT is...well, KITT. And the Mach 5 can travel underwater and cut down mass amounts of forestation :P
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

gillmacca
Volunteer

Post by gillmacca » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:26 am

What is this 'Mach 5'?
Don't think i have ever come across it

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:47 am

The Mach 5 is an animated sports racing car from the classic animated series, "Speed Racer". Like KITT, the Mach 5 has a lot of gadgets and can travel up to speeds of 300 mph.

Dale
Stranger

Post by Dale » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Sorry gang, thought we were dealing in the real world..

I was just sharing some information that I have gathered over the years...

Of course you could build the ultimate KITT to race against the Ultimate General Lee but like I stated before,

both studios brought the best they had but unfortunately, Universal walked away....It would have been great to have seen the best cars from both studios lines up to race,,,,

As for racing them on a "curvy" obstacle track...I think the General would be able to hang with KITT.

My General Lee handles almost as well as my KITT.....really, I think it would be a drivers race....on the right track,,,I would bet Herbie could keep up also.................

Dale
Currently own a authentic( built by Disney Studios ) Herbie the Love Bug and replicas of the General Lee and KITT