'89 automatic Firebird with low miles, Is it good?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

Locked
shadowsmeowmix
Volunteer
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

'89 automatic Firebird with low miles, Is it good?

Post by shadowsmeowmix » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:17 pm

I was driving around last night actually, and I saw a beautiful 1989 red Firbird just sitting on a used car lot (a really small one, none-the-less). I was like woah! So today my step dad and I went out to look at this car. This car is like brand new, and looks like it was either really well taken care of, or just has been sitting in a garage. There were only minor things wrong with it, like it needed to be re weather stripped on the t-tops, and the mirror on the left side of the car was cracked. Thats really all that was bad. The people there wanted 4500 for it.

The question is, would this make a pretty good KITT conversion?

Phoenix915
Operative
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:49 pm

Post by Phoenix915 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:37 pm

If you wanted to be reeeeallly accurate, you'd need to get one from the years that 'Knight Rider' was on the air. I think Pontiac changed some things between 1986 (when KR was cancelled) and 1989 that are needed for an accurate KITT replica. If you're willing to change those parts, then I'd say go for it. :D

User avatar
HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:58 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Asia Pacific

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:16 pm

I'd pay $4500 for it if I had the money (the price could also be haggled a bit). Looks to be in pretty good shape for a 16 year old car. The weather stripping and sideview mirror can easily be replaced (ebay is a good place to start looking for replacement parts).

For an accurate KR replica, the front fenders need to be replaced with ones with vents. Late 80's Firebirds don't have these vents anymore. The tail lights will also need replacement and a blacked out acrylic plastic installed. But this is all minor in my opinion. What's important is that the car itself is structurally sound and drivable. Having the factory t-tops is a great plus also. I say go for it. Even if you don't convert the car soon, its still great to look at and drive.

shadowsmeowmix
Volunteer
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by shadowsmeowmix » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:53 pm

HondaSiR wrote:I'd pay $4500 for it if I had the money (the price could also be haggled a bit). Looks to be in pretty good shape for a 16 year old car. The weather stripping and sideview mirror can easily be replaced (ebay is a good place to start looking for replacement parts).

For an accurate KR replica, the front fenders need to be replaced with ones with vents. Late 80's Firebirds don't have these vents anymore. The tail lights will also need replacement and a blacked out acrylic plastic installed. But this is all minor in my opinion. What's important is that the car itself is structurally sound and drivable. Having the factory t-tops is a great plus also. I say go for it. Even if you don't convert the car soon, its still great to look at and drive.


We haven't gone on a test drive in it, but I think it'll drive okay.

So pontiac isn't selling replacement parts for this car anymore? :\ That kinda sucks, oh well.

User avatar
TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:09 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn, NY 11208
Contact:

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:20 pm

Does this car have the Cowl Induction Hood? They can be found on these cars. Does it have disc brakes? The only way you can fit Turbo Cast Wheels is if you have disk brakes in the front and rear. Some Trans Ams had drum brakes in the rear. You can easily change them to disc brakes if you want. If you are willing to buy this car as a donor for a KR replica. Then you would have to change the fenders to ones that had the Air Extractors in them, and you would have to change out the Bulged tailights to the flat ones, as HondaSIR pointed out. You would have to strip all gorund effects including the rear bumper. Also, you would have to install the front ground effects to the fenders. Like these- Image
You would also have to make sure you have the flat spoiler on the car. After you pre-prepared the car for its KR days its time for the conversion parts. If this car has a 350 motor in it that would be great.-Sam

BTW, Where are you located?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

User avatar
Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:32 am

TurbomanKnight wrote: Does it have disc brakes? The only way you can fit Turbo Cast Wheels is if you have disk brakes in the front and rear. Some Trans Ams had drum brakes in the rear.


Not entirely true. Turbo Casts won't fit on cars with the 1LE performance option. Only about a dozen of those were released every year from 89-92. Those have larger rotors that won't allow the TCs to fit. WS6s (4 wheel disk) should be fine as well as WS7s (front disk, rear drums). Sounds like your looking at a V6. However, for what they want for it, it should be a V8. Cars like that go for 3-2,000 here in CA, so your price seems a little high to me.

The bummer part is the interior will need to be swapped out. Like everyone else says front fenders with 82-84 style extractors, hood, spoiler should be correct already. However, most replica owners with later model donors leave the interior intact but be sure to have the correct tan. I did the my 92 the hard way and swapped everything. The devil is in the details, so ultimtely it is up to you how accurate a car you want. If the car looks good to you, go for it.

TurbomanKnight wrote:Also, you would have to install the front ground effects to the fenders.

Only would need the rear 82-84 flares, technically KITT does not have the front ones even though some scenes show it.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

User avatar
86chvs10
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:54 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Pensacola,Florida
Contact:

Post by 86chvs10 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:15 pm

If it has a V6 in that FireBird,they are asking to much for that car.4500 would only be good for a V8. Plus if you got a V6 pontiac gave sucky Power under the hood.And one thing will be the Brake and Gas pedal were changed in 88 by Pontiac so that will not look the same as kitt if you a accurate kitt conversion. So you would at least want to look at 87 Trans Am for your kitt to be accurate enough.

shadowsmeowmix
Volunteer
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by shadowsmeowmix » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:31 pm

86chvs10 wrote:If it has a V6 in that FireBird,they are asking to much for that car.4500 would only be good for a V8. Plus if you got a V6 pontiac gave sucky Power under the hood.And one thing will be the Brake and Gas pedal were changed in 88 by Pontiac so that will not look the same as kitt if you a accurate kitt conversion. So you would at least want to look at 87 Trans Am for your kitt to be accurate enough.


It's a V8

User avatar
Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:09 pm

86chvs10 wrote:If it has a V6 in that FireBird,they are asking to much for that car.4500 would only be good for a V8. Plus if you got a V6 pontiac gave sucky Power under the hood.And one thing will be the Brake and Gas pedal were changed in 88 by Pontiac so that will not look the same as kitt if you a accurate kitt conversion. So you would at least want to look at 87 Trans Am for your kitt to be accurate enough.


Dude, after the thousands I've spent on my car if someone pointed at the gas and brake pedals and cried inaccuracy, I think I would slam their head into the door. This is the official hobby of OCD.

Besides if your that stuck in the anal phase you would already have a replica light up pedal from TN out of Italy or one of Brennan's :lol:

V8 I think is still a little in the high but not by much. If the car is super clean like you said I would consider it fair.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

User avatar
TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:09 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Brooklyn, NY 11208
Contact:

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:45 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote: Does it have disc brakes? The only way you can fit Turbo Cast Wheels is if you have disk brakes in the front and rear. Some Trans Ams had drum brakes in the rear.


Not entirely true. Turbo Casts won't fit on cars with the 1LE performance option. Only about a dozen of those were released every year from 89-92. Those have larger rotors that won't allow the TCs to fit. WS6s (4 wheel disk) should be fine as well as WS7s (front disk, rear drums). Sounds like your looking at a V6. However, for what they want for it, it should be a V8. Cars like that go for 3-2,000 here in CA, so your price seems a little high to me.

The bummer part is the interior will need to be swapped out. Like everyone else says front fenders with 82-84 style extractors, hood, spoiler should be correct already. However, most replica owners with later model donors leave the interior intact but be sure to have the correct tan. I did the my 92 the hard way and swapped everything. The devil is in the details, so ultimtely it is up to you how accurate a car you want. If the car looks good to you, go for it.

TurbomanKnight wrote:Also, you would have to install the front ground effects to the fenders.

Only would need the rear 82-84 flares, technically KITT does not have the front ones even though some scenes show it.


I stand corrected. :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

User avatar
sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hellfire & Brimstone a.k.a. Portland!

Post by sheltonw3 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:48 pm

$4500.00????.... :shock: ...its a RIPOFF!!!!!....you can do better!!!!...like
$1500.00 to $2500.00 is more reasonable!...just complaine about the damage and everything you can nitpick that you find wrong and more than likely they will go low bid!....my car was running for $3500.00 and I nitpicked it down to $2000.00!....now that was a steal! :shock: :twisted:
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

User avatar
Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:22 pm

sheltonw3 wrote:my car was running for $3500.00 and I nitpicked it down to $2000.00!....now that was a steal! :shock: :twisted:


You have a 92 as well, right?

I paid a little over $8,000 for my 92 back in 97. I feel dumb :oops:
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

User avatar
sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Hellfire & Brimstone a.k.a. Portland!

Post by sheltonw3 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:30 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:
sheltonw3 wrote:my car was running for $3500.00 and I nitpicked it down to $2000.00!....now that was a steal! :shock: :twisted:


You have a 92 as well, right?

I paid a little over $8,000 for my 92 back in 97. I feel dumb :oops:


Its a 1991!...and 1992...the same thing!>> Image

It just dawned on me that back 1997 a 1991-92 used was selling for atleast $5000.00 or a little less!....so it sounds like you got royally ripped off!
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

shadowsmeowmix
Volunteer
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by shadowsmeowmix » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:13 pm

Everyone, Thank you so much for your input, but very bad news.

Someone bought the car 3500$ cash, I could have bought the car that moment when I found out, but I had to of had 3500$ cash ofcourse -___- So it didn't work out, but my step dad tried to make me feel better, by telling me he found out by using the VIN number that this car had been in 7 accidents. Thats why it was so immaculate, the previous owner had repaired and repaired it, so if I were to do a KITT conversion on it, the frame probably would have been bent out of shape, so I couldn't get the nose to go on right or something....

User avatar
HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:58 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Asia Pacific

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:01 am

shadowsmeowmix wrote:he found out by using the VIN number that this car had been in 7 accidents. Thats why it was so immaculate, the previous owner had repaired and repaired it, so if I were to do a KITT conversion on it, the frame probably would have been bent out of shape, so I couldn't get the nose to go on right or something....


It wouldn't be termed "immaculate" if the car has figured in at least one major accident (one that involves the chassis itself). You are lucky you didn't pay $3,500 for it. Perhaps next time it would be wiser to bring along a trusted mechanic to inspect the car for major defects. Checking out the vehicle's accident history also helps determine its true shape and value. Don't be discouraged, there will always be other donor cars out there for the taking.

shadowsmeowmix
Volunteer
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Contact:

Post by shadowsmeowmix » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:11 pm

HondaSiR wrote:
shadowsmeowmix wrote:he found out by using the VIN number that this car had been in 7 accidents. Thats why it was so immaculate, the previous owner had repaired and repaired it, so if I were to do a KITT conversion on it, the frame probably would have been bent out of shape, so I couldn't get the nose to go on right or something....


It wouldn't be termed "immaculate" if the car has figured in at least one major accident (one that involves the chassis itself). You are lucky you didn't pay $3,500 for it. Perhaps next time it would be wiser to bring along a trusted mechanic to inspect the car for major defects. Checking out the vehicle's accident history also helps determine its true shape and value. Don't be discouraged, there will always be other donor cars out there for the taking.


My dads the trusty mechanic, for Ford actually but, yeah :D I asked him to look at it, but ofcourse he didn't want to. I guess it wouldn't be termed immaculate, it sure looked like it though :\

Thanks for the encouragement :D

Locked