Unhealthy obsession?!

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt_rulz
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Unhealthy obsession?!

Post by kitt_rulz » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:06 am

Is there such thing as an unhealthy obsession to Knight Rider? I have been told multiple times by friends, family, and co-workers that I have and unhealthy obsession. All because I order many things off of ebay and record many Knight rider episodes on vhs and because I know a bit much about the series. I have put most of my co-workers to a task; ask me any question and I would be able to answer it! As of today I have only been stumped once (what kind of engine does kitt have in the series?)

Do I have an unhealty obsession???? :?

:kittspin: :spmgo: :kittconv2:
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God Futurama

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:15 am

I'd say not really. Some have taken this quant little show from 20 years past to a whole new level of unhealthy.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:I'd say not really. Some have taken this quant little show from 20 years past to a whole new level of unhealthy.

What do you call "mental wounds" that scream out "Turbo Boost"? :D
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:11 pm

Haha :lol: My friends say the same thing about me... and I'm sure I don't know nearly as much as you! I've only ordered one Knight Rider thing off Ebay, too.... :P
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

kittfan69
Recruit

Post by kittfan69 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:48 pm

It's not just an obsession, it's a way of life!

kitt_rulz
Operative

Post by kitt_rulz » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:58 pm

kittfan69 wrote:It's not just an obsession, it's a way of life!
HELL YA!!

I think to date i have ordered probably 10 things of knight rider off of ebay and counting!!!

The reason I have been told that I also have an unhealthy obsession is because I actually had KITT tattooed to my calf! As soon as I get a picture of it i will post it on here! I also want to get another of KITT's voicebox; but im not sure of what season I want it to be of. I do know I want it to be when it was of three bars like it was later in the first season and the rest of the series.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God Futurama

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:02 pm

If you use your rent money to buy Knight Rider stuff, then you have a problem. Other than that, you're OK.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:42 pm

No. But if there was, the highest would be a female fan wanting to bare KITT's child. J/K

Seriously, the highest would be making a KITT replica and jumping it.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Sometimes people's obsessions with TV shows aren't a big deal, but sometimes they are.
I don't have that much of an unhealthy obesession with "Knight Rider"; just a really deep liking for it.... :)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:50 pm

CB2001 wrote:
Seriously, the highest would be making a KITT replica and jumping it.
Well I wont tell you what I did this weekend :lol:

I used to think that us replica builders/owners might be teetering over the precipice of unhealthy but luckily I've met others in this hobby that don't make me think that anymore.

Michael's right. Real life has to come first. I would never put KITT before bills, food, family, etc.

I think everyone here is fine mentally. As long as we all accept that KITT and KR are fake, we are doing just fine. Some of the concepts and ideas may be possible today, but Michael Knight is not out there riding around righing wrongs.

Paul
Rookie

Re: Unhealthy obsession?!

Post by Paul » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:26 pm

kitt_rulz wrote:As of today I have only been stumped once (what kind of engine does kitt have in the series?)

Do I have an unhealty obsession???? :?

Do you have an unhealthy obsession? Heck no, no more than the rest of us :kitt2: fans anyway!

As for the engine, Knight Industries turbojet with modified afterburners. :shifty:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 pm

My parents are angry at me. Why? All I talk about is Knight Rider, KITT, Replicas,Turbo Cast Wheels, Trans Ams/Firebirds. I dont blame them because there is a limit. Oh Well, EBAY TIME!! :twisted: :twisted:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:07 am

Unhealthy obsession? I don't think there IS such a thing, really. Who can pass judgement on what or even HOW a person is to enjoy something?

As for "Real life" it's what you want to make it, or what others force you to live, depending on the situation. There's nomads out there that don't live in anything but their cars or RVs, for example. :)

I don't know if I have an "unhealthy" obsession of any kind. My life is basically a mix of work, computer, listening to music, Dryden (my car), and visiting folks I care about. I guess I never really get too "obsessed" and I find plenty of things to talk about. So I can't understand the idea of obession let alone unhealthy. :)

In fact, due to getting back into KR, I've restored my car somewhat and am still working on it. I've learned about auto mechanics more than I've ever did before. That's something I've always wanted to do.

Heck, enjoy it. If folks don't understand it, then you know that's one topic you can't talk about around them. Sad, I know, but hey, that's their problem. They diss you for liking KR then they are the ones missing out on something cool. ;)

oppenca2
Operative

Re: Unhealthy obsession?!

Post by oppenca2 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:46 pm

kitt_rulz wrote:Is there such thing as an unhealthy obsession to Knight Rider? I have been told multiple times by friends, family, and co-workers that I have and unhealthy obsession. All because I order many things off of ebay and record many Knight rider episodes on vhs
I have the same one!!!! Dont feel bad!

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:29 pm

The worst your (well-adjusted) Knightie could do is annoy other people with constant 'KR' facts/trivia/quotes.

An unstable Knightie, on the other hand, builds a religon from 'the teachings of Knight', can't come within 200 feet of most of the cast & crew, and cleans his 1:18 scale KITT more often then his hair.

KARR 2000
Rookie

Post by KARR 2000 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:11 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:My parents are angry at me. Why? All I talk about is Knight Rider, KITT, Replicas,Turbo Cast Wheels, Trans Ams/Firebirds. I dont blame them because there is a limit. Oh Well, EBAY TIME!! :twisted: :twisted:
Same thing here!
"Hey dad I just saw a really good trans am on Ebay"

"Come on! It is a 20 year old car and do you know how much they charge for shippment?"
So...... I have no idea what to write here.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:39 pm

KARR 2000 wrote:"Come on! It is a 20 year old car and do you know how much they charge for shippment?"
About twice as much as the car? :twisted:

Actually, I've seen some hot Trans Ams on eBay. Makes me wish I had the $$ and the room to keep one...

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:49 pm

Ladys and gentlemen, please repeat after me: " I am a KR-Holic, I will turbo boost and go into pursuit mode for the next rest of my living years!

:D

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:45 am

Well every fanbase has a few unstable people who tend to ruin it for all of us fans. Look at Star Trek for example.

Nothing wrong with loving the show. Luckily we don't have any of the "Knight-psychos" here. I think Phoenix915 knows the type of people I speak of.

Unfortuantely the unstable ones are the most attention seeking and therefore the most visable. Because of that they are more of a detrement to the community that they claim to love so much. I think it's just part of some generalized persoanlity disorder. Unfortunately the internet has become a haven for these types. If the Knight Rider community was more interactive and less internet based I guarantee you wouldn't have these individuals.

I plan on doing my masters thesis on the psychology of technology. The internet is a very interesting subject for me. It's literally a new dimension of existence. A new reality to some. Those that can't function in the real world perhaps due to an abbrassive or unhealthy personality can thrive on the internet with it's false social hierarchy that is based on number of posts or how long you've belonged to a message board rather than actual tangible achievements. Much like a dream you can be anything you want on the internet. So a person living in their parents basement can easily be a scientist or instructor or whatever.

The rest of us view the internet as a means to exhange ideas and communicate and to basically have fun. Those of us that can actually turn off the computer and conduct a normal life. To those that thrive on internet politics I don't think they can do that.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:06 pm

Well, for me, the internet is my work as well as my entertainment. I work from home for a web hosting company. :) But I take care of myself and am not living with parents or anything like that.

For me the internet opened up a door of ability to me that I would never be able to have in the real world due to my disability. I've noticed this online a lot too, people that I've met who had tech jobs who were disabled (blind, deaf, or other disabilities) that wouldn't stand a chance finding work in the "real world" due to their conditions.

I'm one of those who loves technology and want to see it continually improve and grow. Sure there's drawbacks, but hopefully we can overcome them to the point where technology remains a positive influence in most people's lives instead of a negative one.

I've met some of my best friends online and met some realy doosies online as well. But I have met about the same in the real world before the internet came along. I think maybe the internet might be making us come into contact more with different types of people, and thus why we meet more negative people possibly than we would in real life. By contrast, I think we also make far more friends on the internet too. ;)

The study of technology on humanity *is* a very interesting thing to look at. Especially in the 21st century where computers are now as common in the homes as telephones were 10 years ago.

I also believe that our technological advances are just a part of our overall evolution. Into what, who knows. Borg perhaps? Or just a race greatly enhanced by machines? Or maybe we are coming into contact with more of humanity and thus can grow and learn all about what we truely are...

So many things to think about!

Army, now you got ME thinking! :)

But I agree, the internet itself can be anything to anyone. I think that is why people are more likely to drop their guard, and be what they always wanted to be because it's less risky than face-to-face contact. There's many essays and studies done on this. If you are studying this, I'm sure you'll find plenty of material! :)

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:56 pm

I think the internet is fantastic! Having different tastes than most people, it's an opportunity for me to find people with the same interests. I can talk about things I like without someone giving me a strange look, saying i'm weird or having those odd periods of silence after I say something. I always hate that, but I've learned to deal with it since it happens often. :?
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:01 am

I honestly see the ultimate "evolution" of humanity is somekind of Borg like race. I'm a diabetic and I saw there is a pump that surgically implants onto ones shoulder and has tubes that run into the arm. It constantly monitors blood sugar levels and injets insulin when needed. It does look like a Borg implant. My father has a pump in his adomen that injects morphine into him.

I think we are in a stage of development were our technology has either outpaced us or is very close. I see a time when our own survivial will depend on a closer interation with our own technology. If kept separate I feel our technology will one day replace us.

The internet is indeed a wonderful tool, but that is all it is. It should never be used as a substitute for real life.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:03 am

Army - sometimes people with disabilities, that is the only "real life" they will ever get because they simply can't get out of the house or are shut in. Sometimes it NEEDS to be a substitute for "real life"... as it were. If you are counting "real life" as in getting out of the house and doing things. For shut-ins, the internet can be the only view of the world outside their homes.

But I can see where it can get just "too much". I've been on both sides of the coin. I love the internet but I also love to go out with Dryden, go for walks, talk to my friends and neighbors, spend some time away from the computer. Enjoy nature. :) I agree the internet shouldn't replace real life, only enhance it.

As for us becoming borgs, we already are. :) You already mentioned two cyborgs (technically, that is what they are if they have an electronic device implanted). I read on one site where anyone who spends a lot of time on the computer are technically "metaphoric cyborgs" since they typically need the computer to live or survive (as in work to earn money). The site said something about keyboards being the interface.

I'm hoping to look into "non-evasive" cyborg "attachments", not implants but something that can be worn to interface with a computer, yet removed when you want to be detatched from technology. Such things do exist. Heck, when you get down to it, your headphones and walkman would even qualify! :lol: Ok, a bit extreme but if you think about it, how many poeple do you see with a cell phone attached to their ear? A microphone headset on a coach or secretary, and police - always wearing a radio. Technology already IS all around us - and ON us!

Man, this is getting to be an interesting discussion! :) But I want to see technology as more than just a tool - but instead an enhancement, the next step. And I hope some day (maybe not in my lifetime but who knows maybe it might happen yet), that Artificial Intelligence become sentient thinking beings, like KITT. :) Now that would be cool! ;)

For now, we can only hope and dream, and enjoy the technology we already have. And hopefully also enjoy nature as well instead of destroying it in the name of technology (ie. recycle computers instead of dumping them in landfills, etc.)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:11 am

And what was the topic again? Oh yeah, "unhealthy Knight Rider obessions"... Ok, uhm.... :oops: :lol:

kitt_rulz
Operative

Post by kitt_rulz » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:49 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:And what was the topic again? Oh yeah, "unhealthy Knight Rider obessions"... Ok, uhm.... :oops: :lol:
hehehehehe :wink: :roll: