No key ignition switch on KITT

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

No key ignition switch on KITT

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:47 pm

I have been studying KITTs interior dash and I noticed that there is no key ignition switch. I know that KITT doesn't need a set of keys to start himself up, but I believe that there should be an ignition switch visible, unless there is a Start Button mounted somewhere near the Turbo Boost. They may as well have not installed a gear shift or key slots on the doors, since KITT does much of the driving.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:59 pm

It's funny too, because in the Pilot after KITT comes back by himself after getting stolen by car theives, he chastizes Michael for "leaving the KEYS in the ignition and the doors open". :shock:

So in the pilot it's assumed he had keys. But that's wierd because before that in the same episode, Devon starts the car up with a sequence of numbers punched into a panel.

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:06 pm

Most of the time you could see Michael mysteriously reaching deep under the dash to start the car. I only remember one time when he actually used the "Power" button on the dash (in the episode where he supposedly turned "evil").

But then, I guess you don't have to worry about leaving the keys in the ignition when your car can drive itself and has an ejector seat. LOL

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:08 pm

I had asked this questions about 3 times before everone else did.The answer is in case you have the deadly manuevers episode,use zoom and you can see no ignitionswitch.I originaly mentioned knight of the drones when Michael lost kitt in a race he tosses the keys to the bad guy.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:11 pm

Not only "Knight Of the Drones," but we can also catch a very quick glimpse of K.I.T.T.'s keys in his ignition in "Junk Yard Dog." It is the scene where KITT is pulled out of the acid pit and his completely obliterated dashboard is shown; his keys are hanging in the ignition. So, in order for the keys to be in the dashboard, there WAS an ignition. Its just well camoflaged with the black dashboard and lights. That's a good point about the key holes in KITT's doors though as they are not necessary. KITT's door locks worked through finger print verification (the lights underneath the door handles).

However, I think they were left there simply because KITT was constructed from an ordinary Trans Am (he had to be because the body was not F.L.A.G.'s design). FLAG simply kept the mold intact for the most part on the outside except for the nose. I think the whole thing works the same way modern cars with the remote start feature work: the keys aren't required to start the car. In older cars, sometimes you can actually even remove the keys and still drive the car (though no one is meant to). Michael simply uses the keys sometimes but most of the time he doesn't. KITT is always starting himself up and rescuing Michael from a jam, so most of the time he doesn't have the opportunity to use the keys. In "Knight Of the Drones" and "Junk Yard Dog," he just happened to use them.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:07 pm

KNIGHTBOY wrote:Most of the time you could see Michael mysteriously reaching deep under the dash to start the car. I only remember one time when he actually used the "Power" button on the dash (in the episode where he supposedly turned "evil").

But then, I guess you don't have to worry about leaving the keys in the ignition when your car can drive itself and has an ejector seat. LOL
KITT's Power button was also used in "A Plush Ride"
Actually, I think KITT does have keys. Whenever Michael starts KITT up, he does reach under KITT's dash. I agree with Lost Knight that KITT was originally an ordinary Pontiac Trans Am and FLAG built him from that ordinary car. Let's not forget also that KITT's dash is actually an extension of the stock Trans Am dash, so that's why Michael has to reach under KITT's dash to get to the ignition.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:27 pm

^^
True, but it still looked kind of odd. Michael has all this INCREDIBLE technology in front of him... all these hundreds of buttons and readouts and instruments....

...yet he still has to reach under the dash to turn the key and start the engine. LOL

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:27 pm

Michael likes to be in control. He could simply avoid having to do that by telling K.I.T.T. to start himself all the time. It's just a form of manual control or "Normal Cruise" that happens to be one of the more similar features KITT has with ordinary vehicles.

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:28 pm

Well, isn't that the fun part of Knight Rider? Knowing where everything is on KITT?
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:57 pm

Depends on how you look at it. Personally, I think it's more fun not knowing where everything is. Some particular features yes, but not everything. Makes K.I.T.T. seem more high-tech and mysterious that way!

RobAtPace
Stranger

Post by RobAtPace » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:11 pm

michael just liked reaching in under Kitts dress... er dash.