KITT in Flight Mode

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT in Flight Mode

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:12 am

I have always wondered just how much more advanced KITT would have become if the show were still airing. The latest feature on KITT was the SPM, Super Pursuit mode in season four, but we have never seen KITT flying in the air, except for when he is turbo boosting over a train or something. They could add special rocket thrusters and wings that sprout from under the car to make it take off.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:40 am

To me, that would kinda kill Knight Rider. Then it would be like a cartoon where you can find animals with human personalities. I mean KITT can do a lot of things, but flying will make him too make believe. Lets just leave the flying car idea to that Delorean. :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

knightfan1
Rookie

Post by knightfan1 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:37 am

I had the exact same notion for a flight mode in the movie. I also had an idea for an aquatic mode.

What can you do about drawing it or designing it in PhotoShop or something? I'd be amazed if you and I were on the same wavelength.

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:45 pm

You forgot one thing about Kitt,he is afraid of flying.
Knight Industries Defence One

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:50 pm

I get nervous about changing KITT's abilities too much. Did anyone else have their jaw drop when we saw R2-D2 fly in Episode II? it just felt wrong.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:31 pm

Oh yeah I forgot that KITT had feelings and phobias, as we learned in episode, "Trust doesn't Rust", where KITT tells Michael, I have a strange feeling about this. Michael tells KITT he doesn't have feelings, KITT replies, that's what's strange about it. I do recall seeing that episode, where Michael & KITT were in an airplane and had to escape by parachute and KITT was very nervous.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

knightrider3000
Volunteer

Post by knightrider3000 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:35 pm

they would ruin it if they made kitt fly as part of the franchise. However it would be very cool to see him take off..........

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:19 pm

It's funny KITT afraid of flying when he turbo boosts all over the place. :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:32 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:It's funny KITT afraid of flying when he turbo boosts all over the place. :)

Now that you mention it. It does make sense. :shock: KITT is afraid of flying and he Turbo Boosts.... I remember that episode that Knight Raider mentioned, it was a fourth season episode: Sky Knight, where MIchael and KITT has to get back on land to free Bonnie. So they jumped out of the plane with a parachute. I also think in Goliath or Goliath Returns where Michael and KITT jumps off a cliff then hits the parachute button. Hmm...
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:54 pm

I don't think KITT is much different than the rest of us. I'm not afraid of jumping off a wall or a diving board, but put me on a plane and I get a bit nervous. It's the difference between being 5 feet off the ground (or in KITT's case, 20-30 feet) and 30,000 feet.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:26 pm

I don't think flight mode would be that bad as long as it's presentation isn't that far-fetched. I would be okay with a new KITT that could fly by means of hovering like the DeLorean in BTTF. That would be really cool if when he took off, his wheels would fold down and under. I don't think that is too far fetched. Of course, this is what my car has in my fan fic, since it is a crossover to BTTF and takes place in 2015, so the wheel thing fits in well to the story.

In any case, I think if KITT had any kind of flight mode, there should be limitations on it. Like he can only go so long, or short distances (longer than just turbo boosting). It could be set up in the story that the flight systems tax his energy reserves, so thust he can use it for only short periods of time. This is also something I put in my fan fic to keep from developing easy getaways or keeping the reader from thinking "Why doesn't he just go into SPM and hover so he can catch the bad guy." It would get dull real quick.

That is just my two cents worth on the subject.

Steve

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:27 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:
FuzzieDice wrote:It's funny KITT afraid of flying when he turbo boosts all over the place. :)

Now that you mention it. It does make sense. :shock: KITT is afraid of flying and he Turbo Boosts.... I remember that episode that Knight Raider mentioned, it was a fourth season episode: Sky Knight, where MIchael and KITT has to get back on land to free Bonnie. So they jumped out of the plane with a parachute. I also think in Goliath or Goliath Returns where Michael and KITT jumps off a cliff then hits the parachute button. Hmm...
That is one of my favorite Season 4 episodes. It's probably the most focused on Bonnie an episode gets, and the trip through the minefields are always fun. That, the Lance Burton one, and KotJ are great.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:34 pm

cloudkitt wrote:
It's probably the most focused on Bonnie an episode gets,

What about Chariots of Gold?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:41 pm

Michael complained about KITT not having and "sustained flight" mode at the beginning of the episode of "The Wrong Crowd" because of being caught in traffic, however at the end up the episode, he negates his statement with the following, "It's not exactly a sustained flight... But I'll take it!"

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:50 pm

Although I can't imagince KITT to fly, if he did - the show would be renamed Knight Flier!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:44 pm

Michael himself would have thought it would have been crazy if K.I.T.T. flew. Remember his little remark in the pilot? Michael said, "Don't tell me this thing flies." Devon was quick to assure him that the car didn't but could do other things instead. I think that was a hint right there that they would never go too far with ideas on KITT's abilities. Even turbo boosting was kind of stretching the imagination a bit; had they not put limits on KITT's abilities, the show would have been laughed at by fans.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:23 pm

I bet you anything had there been a fifth season of Knight Rider, they probably would have had KITT flying, which would have made the hover conversion technology on the De lorean Time Machine look dated. The SPM design in season four gave KITT the illusion of a stealth fighter, as if it really could take off. I could picture KITT going into stealth mode, equipped with lasers, as seen in "Trust doesnt Rust", making raids and dropping bombs overhead.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:49 pm

If K.I.T.T. flew, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the turbo boost, which is one of the most popular among his features. There would be no more long, scenic drives through the desert or across country, the opening sequence would probably be redone (no more driving up to the screen through the desert), and I think the show would lose credibility as well. Although, that gull wing steering "wheel" really looks like its meant for a plane rather than an automobile. :? I think it's more impressive that KITT can travel as fast as he does on ground as opposed to hovering around. The show is about driving, that's why it's called Knight Rider!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:41 pm

Not unless the sustained flight is something temporary. I mean, how many times has KITT come up against something that he couldn't clearly Turbo Boosted over? Maybe that for the idea, sustained flight could only last for about a few minutes (five, maybe less) due to the fact that the weight of the car and the spare fuel tank for the mode has a limited amount that can be used (like how there are different sizes for NOS for street racing).

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:54 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:
cloudkitt wrote:

well, she's a good 'girl' in this one. I also like the season 4 one where the whole FLAG team goes undercover. (when KITT's the red car in the melting plastic).

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:33 pm

cloudkitt wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:
cloudkitt wrote:

well, she's a good 'girl' in this one. I also like the season 4 one where the whole FLAG team goes undercover. (when KITT's the red car in the melting plastic).
The episode was called "Knight Sting".

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:11 pm

Thanks. So my favorite season 4 episodes is (not in any particular order) are
Knight of the Juggernaut
Sky Knight
Knight Sting
And the Templeton(Lance Burton) one