Tempurature sending unit problem and a few other things too!

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Bumfluff
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Tempurature sending unit problem and a few other things too!

Post by Bumfluff » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:36 am

G'day folks, I've got a few questions for you tech heads out there....

I've got a 1983 T/A (V8 (5.7ltr Cross-Fire the documentation says when I bought it) has also been converted to Right Hand Drive) and have a few gauge problems. For starters:

1. The tempurature gauge seems to work in reverse so that when I turn the ignition OFF the needle comes up but when I turn ignition ON it goes down to cold straight away and does not budge (and this is in the middle of summer down here too!) I'm not sure if it may be a sender unit problem (because I still haven't managed to locate where on the engine the unit is. I was guessing that it was near where the top radiator hose goes into the engine housing). My first thought was that maybe the wires are around the wrong way but if anyone else here has had this prob. please feel free to let me know.

2. The Tachometre doesn't work properly at all. When the car is off the needle is at 6000rpm (red-line) and when I start the car it goes around underneath to almost zero and only moves slightly.

Now the Voltage gauge and Fuel Gauge work ok and the speedo is fine, but these other gauges I'm having trouble trying to think of a solution. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Regards

Jason

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:04 am

How does your car have a 5.7 Crossfire in it? Crossfires were 5.0's. I think the wires for your RPM and Temp gauges really are the wrong way. Its the only way that would happen.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Bumfluff
Volunteer

Post by Bumfluff » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:40 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:How does your car have a 5.7 Crossfire in it? Crossfires were 5.0's.
Not sure how it does. It might not be a 5.7ltr but all the paperwork I was given when I bought it a few months back stated it was a 5.7ltr.....