Hi I'm new and I have a question about Kitt losing his Shell

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Hi I'm new and I have a question about Kitt losing his Shell

Post by MIKEMAC » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:11 pm

OK, I was watching Knight Rider this weekend after watching Season 1 I decided to watch all my favorites from every season that I have on nasty vhs and I know Kitt's Shell was taken away in Season 4's "Knight of the Jugernaut" and that's why he got Super Pursute Mode cause Bonnie didn't have it and Kitt was only 50% ready. But they never said in any epsiode that I know of that Kitt got his shell back which he had to off cause he was still bullet proff and went through walls and stuff, did he get his shell back later but they just never said? anyone know? Thanks! :D
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**
Please check out my Knight Rider site at
http://www.knightriderforever.tk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:34 pm

If the "mac" in your name means "Macintosh" then you get a very special "welcome to the board!" If it means something else, then you get a regular "welcome to the board!" (Mac advocate here)

It's basically assumed that KITT had his shell re-applied at some point after the events of Juggernaut. They might not have had the resources to do it while on the road in Chicago, but it makes sense that back at FLAG headquarters in Los Angeles they could rebuild it.

You're right, it's never brought up during season 4 so we just assume it happened.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:06 pm

Great, thanks for answering that. I know 3 people new the formula and 1 of them died, but Devon did say if 2 people know it you could make it so hopefully that's what happened. Thanks and no mac is not for mac computers sorry. :lol:
**true happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth**

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:49 pm

What I want to know is in spm mode,is the car still protected by the mbs all over when the side pieces come out?Or is it just when hes in regular mode is in protected?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:54 pm

I've wondered this before too, and thinking it through logically, the extensions still have the MBS. The inner rams that propel these parts out can't have the MBS because they are primarily internal. K.I.T.T. travels so fast in SPM anyway that he does not require the MBS in that mode, hence the reason it was installed in the first place. Therefore the MBS has to break apart into pieces for the transition into SPM. So apparently, the MBS is actually sectional in season 4 when KITT is in Normal mode, only all the sections touch eachother until the transition to SPM. In season 4, the MBS is no longer a single solitary shell.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:07 am

Imagine KITT swiping a wall and ripping off a wing or two. LOL :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:18 am

Lost Knight wrote:I've wondered this before too, and thinking it through logically, the extensions still have the MBS. The inner rams that propel these parts out can't have the MBS because they are primarily internal. K.I.T.T. travels so fast in SPM anyway that he does not require the MBS in that mode, hence the reason it was installed in the first place. Therefore the MBS has to break apart into pieces for the transition into SPM. So apparently, the MBS is actually sectional in season 4 when KITT is in Normal mode, only all the sections touch eachother until the transition to SPM. In season 4, the MBS is no longer a single solitary shell.
Interesting, but I can throw a wrinkle in it. KITT's windows had the MBS, yet they could be raised and lowered- they were seperate from the rest of the "shell". The MBS is explained as bonding with the metal, but I'm assuming it bonds with glass as well.

My guess is that the extensions have the MBS. Its purpose is to protect the vehicle, and if KITT were in SPM and got hit with bullets or a missile, those extenders would be vulnerable without it.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:26 pm

That's great thinking as we all agree Kitt got his shell back they just never said it in season 4. The only problem I had with SPM is everytime Kitt used it there was never any cars around especialy in Chicago, yea right, I know it's so there wouldn't be any car accedents but still, it looked chessy lol but still Kitt was never shot at or went through a wall in SPM so we will never know if he had his shell, but we can assume anyways. I just wish that NBC gave Knight Rider a final episode. In my mind, "The Sent of Roses" is the final episode after Stevie died he still didn't want to go back to the foundation, but decided to go back but you could tell he wasn't the same and at the end Kitt and him drive off into the sun, that should have been the last episode.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:44 am

Well, KITT never did trying to go through a wall in SPM. It'd be pretty funny seem him crash into the wall and come out the other side all stripped down, though. lol

(*cough cough* Mac's suck *cough cough* :lol:)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

MIKEMAC
FLAG Recruit

Post by MIKEMAC » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:36 pm

cloudkitt wrote:Well, KITT never did trying to go through a wall in SPM. It'd be pretty funny seem him crash into the wall and come out the other side all stripped down, though. lol

(*cough cough* Mac's suck *cough cough* :lol:)

My name MIKEMAC was my nickname as in being cool I guess, not the mac pc, sorry I'm an XP guy myself. :D

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:28 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote: Interesting, but I can throw a wrinkle in it. KITT's windows had the MBS, yet they could be raised and lowered- they were seperate from the rest of the "shell". The MBS is explained as bonding with the metal, but I'm assuming it bonds with glass as well.
Hmm, I have a wrinkle on that one too. The MBS was impervious to the laser that was used on KARR in TDR, but in KITT vs KARR, they needed to add the special reflectors to the windows to protect Michael. I'd assume that the windows would have had to have the MBS for all the other things they withstood, but in that instance, I thinik it was kind of implied that they had something less than the same MBS used on the rest of his body.

Antithesis
Stranger

Post by Antithesis » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:34 am

knightshade wrote:
Michael Pajaro wrote: Interesting, but I can throw a wrinkle in it. KITT's windows had the MBS, yet they could be raised and lowered- they were seperate from the rest of the "shell". The MBS is explained as bonding with the metal, but I'm assuming it bonds with glass as well.

Hmm, I have a wrinkle on that one too. The MBS was impervious to the laser that was used on KARR in TDR, but in KITT vs KARR, they needed to add the special reflectors to the windows to protect Michael. I'd assume that the windows would have had to have the MBS for all the other things they withstood, but in that instance, I thinik it was kind of implied that they had something less than the same MBS used on the rest of his body.

I'm new here as well, but I didn't think the reflectors were for protection. It was to reflect the laser back to KARR's scanner

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:07 am

Remember the episode Junkyard Dog? KITT was dumped into that toxic waste puddle and when they towed him out from the puddle the windows were gone but the the shell and tires?!! were intact. So it is not possible that the windows in KITT had MBS, otherwise they wouldn't have been destroyed. Can't explain why the tires weren't destroyed thought.
Also I don't remember KITT driving with it's windows down when it was dumped into that puddle so the windows musn't have MBS! And this happened also after they had reinfrorced KITT's windows to withstand KARR's laser.

KOPP
Rookie

Post by KOPP » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:20 am

Originally, the MBS was a black metal, and that's why KITT was totally a glossy black; his back lights were blacked-out, his tire hubcabs were black. So KITT's windows aren't protected with the MBS, as they are not black. I'm sure that they were going to paint Goliath black, but didn't have the cash.
The Molecular-Bonded Shell is a poor name for KITT's alloy, as it doesn't refer to the metal itself, but only the way that the alloy is attatched to the skin of the car. They should have called it something like, KITT's Bullet-Proof Alloy, or BPA. :?:
"Knight Rider 2008 - A brain-rotting flight into the mind-numbing world of a poor excuse for a television show...that should not exist!"

FIGHT the quest for Season 2 - spare us the trash!!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:04 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:Interesting, but I can throw a wrinkle in it. KITT's windows had the MBS, yet they could be raised and lowered- they were seperate from the rest of the "shell". The MBS is explained as bonding with the metal, but I'm assuming it bonds with glass as well.
In my opinion, the windows never contained the Molecular Bonded Shell. I think they were simply just bullet-proof windows. Only the actual body itself had the MBS....if you notice in "Junk Yard Dog," everything but K.I.T.T.'s shell and tires had been completely eaten up by the acid. The windows had been destroyed because they were not protected with the MBS and therefore the acid was able to get inside KITT's interior. Why the acid destroyed KITT's windows but not his tires which also did not have MBS protection is because the tires were of a different stronger material than the bullet-proof glass (they are at least strong enough to withstand lava and acid). Since the tires are not protected with the MBS, it is logical to assume the windows are not either.

My guess is that the windows are of a separate compound altogether and developed in the same lab as KITT's tires, hence the windows being able to move up and down. When KITT was rebuilt in "Knight Of the Juggernaut," as we know he did not have the protection of the MBS and we know for a fact the replacement glass for the car was ordinary glass. We know the MBS was re-applied off-camera for sure by the episode "Knight Flight To Freedom," so it's safe to assume that KITT's glass and tires were replaced during the process.

The high-tensil reflectors Bonnie developed were just that- reflectors. They reflected the laser back to hit K.A.R.R. in his one weak spot, his scanner. Therefore, the reflectors are useless if they are not used at just the right angle. In "K.I.T.T. vs. K.A.R.R.," KITT actually took a direct hit from KARR's laser without the reflectors. He said "I can't take another blow like that" but we know KITT could still withstand the laser's effect at least once. So, that aspect is still consistent with "Trust Doesn't Rust" at least.

As for KITT being in Super Pursuit Mode in Chicago, he can't hit anything because his A.I. prevents the car from having a collision unless it is intentional, therefore Michael would have a hard time having a car accident in SPM. The lack of cars in a city was unrealistic though. As I see it, the grey rams are not protected with the MBS because they are retractable, and given the speed of SPM, Bonnie probably did not care as much for applying the MBS to them since KITT can evade everything in that mode, as it worked in "Knight Of the Juggernaut."

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:03 pm

If I remember correctly, in JunkYard Dog-yes his windows were gone, but so were his T-tops, which ARE black.

So, by Lost Knight's logic (that the windows were made of an entirely different, -almost- equally powerful material), KITT's T-tops were also made of this window material? Now, in later season's, the T-tops drew back into nothingness, however much sense that makes. But in the earlier seasons, they could still have been MBS as they just open like the doors.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 am

The T-top is also the same glass as the rest of the car regardless of where it retracts to, only tinted. They aren't quite black but more of a smoke fade. And let's not forget about K.I.T.T. in Convertible Mode, where his shell also must slightly break down so that the roof can retract into the trunk. I figure KITT is maybe around 80% protected by the Molecular Bonded Shell when he's in Super Pursuit Mode or Convertible Mode.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:16 am

KOPP wrote:Originally, the MBS was a black metal, and that's why KITT was totally a glossy black; his back lights were blacked-out, his tire hubcabs were black. So KITT's windows aren't protected with the MBS, as they are not black.
Well I think you're partially correct here, KOPP. The Molecular Bonded Shell is not a metal, as Devon states in the pilot episode. In "Knight Of the Juggernaut," the chemical sprayed all over K.I.T.T. neutralized the shell which is bonded on top of the car's ordinary metal underneath. I always think of the MBS as kind of the equivalent of polyurithane over a wooden surface. It protects the wood and makes it shiney, but it is not the actual wood that is being touched.

But yes, I do agree that it is the MBS that makes KITT a constant gloss black and also helps keep KITT clean by not holding much dust or dirt. Also I don't agree that the MBS makes everything blacked out, all I believe the MBS does appearance-wise is make KITT glossy. It is a transparent shell, not a black shell. KITT is blacked out primarily to cover up Pontiac Firebird logos and make the car appear more ominous.

winwolf07
Volunteer

MBS in SPM

Post by winwolf07 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:46 am

I could just picture the damage a bug would do to SPM bits @ 300mph....
:shock:

AprilCurtis
Recruit

Post by AprilCurtis » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:34 am

wasn't knight of the juggernaut the episode where kitt got sprayed with that stuff to make his shell defective? if it is, i've always wondered, wouldn't Kitt have been able to tell what the stuff was, or that his shell wasn't at full whack?! What you think?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:05 am

Yup, that was the episode. A sprinkler truck passed by KITT and sprayed him with the stuff. KITT had no idea it was to dismantle his MBS and he learned it too late when the juggernaut was already upon them. I would guess it just caught him off-guard at the time of the sprinkling (KITT even closed his driver-side window in order to keep the interior dry).

AprilCurtis
Recruit

Post by AprilCurtis » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:14 am

yeh i remember him doing that! i guess Michael didn'tleave him in surveillance mode or tell him to 'keep your scanner peeled' !

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:48 am

there's plenty of examples of that, mainly in Scent of Roses when kitt should have detected Durant coming in to kill michael.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;