What annoys you about Knight Rider?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:14 am

I suppose it's in reverse when backing out of the trailer and down the ramp,but before hitting the pavement I'm sure you have to put it in neutral to avoid damaging the transmission.I think it's Jack Gill who talks about this on the special features.
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:13 pm

As soon as he is on the ramp the car is in neteral. Once the cars' back tires hit the pavement the car is put into drive. It is explained on the dvd. It may have been tight getting out of the semi - but when done right - you can't even tell.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:03 pm

For me it was the overall half-hearted editing of the show. What I mean by this is that old footage from previous episodes was constantly reused instead of just filming new scenes. Seems like the cheap and lazy way out.

I remember one episode, Hasselhoff wore a red turtleneck shirt just so that they could show old footage from the pilot episode of K.I.T.T. crashing through a prison wall. In another episode there's a scene on a jet and one actress in the backround wore a blond wig for filming to keep continuity for Tanya Walker's character in a reused scene from the pilot's finale.

Also, I always hated how they reused particular actors to play different parts in later episodes that had major parts previously. It's not only in Knight Rider but other series as well.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:47 pm

I know exactly what you mean! One ep the chick is a company VP named Janet Reno (Just a name, no clue where that came from).. then the next ep, she is an ex Navy Seal named Jessie Jones (Another name that came out of no where)... kinda makes watching the show regularly rather difficult. Granted, for someone that only caught a few eps here and there, they wouldn't notice, and from the show's perspective, it was a lot cheaper.. remember this WAS the early 80's.. gas prices were through the roof, and new laws.. etc.. so we just have to take it with a grain of salt.. or is it a case of beer.. hmm... in either case.. we all love the show. and no one is perfect... Excluding Bonnie and KITT that is. ;)
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

K.I.A.N
Rookie

Post by K.I.A.N » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm

I hate that it took me 13 years of my life to find out about this wonderfull show
Fan Of The New Knight Rider!

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:38 pm

My biggest problem with Knight Rider is that the shows were not long enough. Only an hour per episode just doesn't satisfy my KR hunger!

Rock on KRonies :twisted:

DK

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:02 pm

Very true.. and then throw in the cuts they make to put it on tv... and you get even LESS show.... :(
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:43 am

I didn't like the editing either. A lot of shots seemed out of place or cut short. But overall I think they did great. I also hated how KITT was so... overlooked! I know he's just a computer but I talk to my car like she can respond knowing she doesn't even have a personality, the least Michael could've done was say hi or bye to KITT, which is something he didn't do as often as I thought a person should. A lot of times it was as though he wasn't even present, like when Michael and Bonnie talked about Stevie in "White Bird."

... I dunno, maybe it's just me, but that really bugged!

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:02 pm

Not much, actually....

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Oh, just one thing: the way the reruns were cut in syndication; first by half-hour episodes that didn't do the show any justice, and then the almost-hour episodes with several scenes cut out of each
episode, due to commercial running time.
The show was good, and what annoyed me the most was that the network of NBC cancelled it after 4 seasons, which still isn't that great now, but with the seasons coming on DVD, I can enjoy seeing the original episodes---with no commercials!

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:47 pm

i think the only the thing that annoyed me is how conveniently almost every mission involved a damsel in distress, and even when a woman wasnt the main person who needed help, there was always one somewhere in the story that michael could flirt with. :roll:
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:37 pm

Things that annoy me:

THE PACING --I know it was the 80s and people had longer attention spans back then... but dang, some of these episodes are slow! I tried watching my DVDs all the way through at first, but eventually had to fastforward to the action scenes.

THE SAME LOCATIONS --Did KITT and Michael ever travel out of California? Supposedly they did, but we keep seeing the same back roads and empty, small town streets again and again. The same exact ones we saw on Dukes of Hazzard in fact.

THEY RARELY SHOW THE LANDINGS --This is the biggest frustration. Yes I know that often times the car was totalled and there was no usable footage, but simply showing Michael bouncing around like an idiot just didn't cut it. For me the coolest part of the turboboosts were the landings. Watching some of those hard crashes (such as in the alley scene in Knightmares) was always a huge thrill. I never get tired of watching them.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:57 pm

Those damn "tools" with all the lights and no purpose. Remember in Goliath, where they were putting the last coat of MBS on the truck. They used a lighted no purpose tool to help apply it.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:45 pm

For me, it wasn't so much the damsel-in-distress, although they did irk me quite a bit, it was that Michael always revealed to the damsel of the week that KITT could talk, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of 'em reacted the same way. ALWAYS. KITT is supposed to be a high-tech seceret super car, right? Yet Michael blabbed to every pretty face that his car could drive itself and talk. No wonder Helios was able to get information about KITT so easily. :roll:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:45 pm

LadyV2000 wrote:i think the only the thing that annoyed me is how conveniently almost every mission involved a damsel in distress, and even when a woman wasnt the main person who needed help, there was always one somewhere in the story that michael could flirt with. :roll:
What if Michael didn't have a thing for damsels...but for men??? What would the audience think if all he ever did was rescue fully grown handsome studs instead of pretty damsels in distress :lol:

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:51 pm

HondaSiR wrote:
LadyV2000 wrote:i think the only the thing that annoyed me is how conveniently almost every mission involved a damsel in distress, and even when a woman wasnt the main person who needed help, there was always one somewhere in the story that michael could flirt with. :roll:
What if Michael didn't have a thing for damsels...but for men??? What would the audience think if all he ever did was rescue fully grown handsome studs instead of pretty damsels in distress :lol:
"OK, Mr. Knight, I'll help you get the baddies."
"Your car talks!!!"
"Hey!!!!! Where're you putting that hand of yours???!!!"
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:10 pm

^^
LOL. I think KITT might have gotten jealous. Him and Michael were supposedly lovers, remember? At least that's what the network was afraid of.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:29 pm

Oh, don't remind me. There was a similar situation with The Incredible Hulk where the network wanted to change the name of Bruce Banner to David Bruce Banner because they felt the name Bruce sounded too homosexual for a lead character. Just goes to show the idiocy of these networks sometimes. Makes me wonder what they were smoking.

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:46 pm

I always heard that it was because Bruce Banner was too "comic booky" and the producers wanted the show to be more realistic. You know, because a giant green guy running around and growling wasn't "comic booky" at all! LOL

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:52 pm

KNIGHTBOY wrote:^^
LOL. I think KITT might have gotten jealous. Him and Michael were supposedly lovers, remember? At least that's what the network was afraid of.
OMG! thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard :lol: I remember hearing a while ago that some people wanted to take Bert and Ernie off Sesame Street for the same reason. i mean COME ON!

i didn't mean that michael just rescue dudes every show, but mixed it around a bit, you know like more realistically. but it was the 80's, thats about the best explanation possible.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Hunter
Recruit

Re: What annoys you about Knight Rider?

Post by Hunter » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:32 pm

Landotheman wrote:Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any little annoyances about the show. Sure it's great, but there must be something... think hard!

I've been watching all the episodes I taped off the telly and have noticed that whenever KITT comes under heavy fire from rockets or something similar, Michael always asks "can we take a direct hit" and KITT nearly always answers "I'd prefer not to find out". Can't he just answer yes or no????
as soon as i read the title of this thread i immediatly thought of michael always asking kitt if they could take a direct hit,it bugged the hell outta me too.

another one is that bonnie always looked miserable,she didnt really smile,she always looked bored :roll: and of course,even though i like april more,it always pissed me off when she joined in season two and we were given no reasno at all.

Hunter
Recruit

Post by Hunter » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:45 pm

another thing that bugged me(although not many people could have done it better) is that they always cut out the landing of the turbo boost,but you can clearly see kitts nose getting smashed and all bent anyway.

i also hated it when kitt would get all dirty and have mud all over him,but then you would see kitt from another angle and he would be sparkling clean.

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:53 pm

Hunter wrote:another thing that bugged me(although not many people could have done it better) is that they always cut out the landing of the turbo boost,but you can clearly see kitts nose getting smashed and all bent anyway.
Yeah I mentioned that up above. Just when it seemed like the car was coming down at a really steep angle, and you thought "oh *?$#, that car is toast", they would cut away. LOL. You can see some of those crashes in the bloopers.

The one landing I'm dying to see though (I don't remember the episode) is when he jumps over a river and is CLEARLY about to plow nose first into the sand. You just know that car flipped over a few times.

Poor, poor KITT. :cry:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:07 am

LadyV2000 wrote:I remember hearing a while ago that some people wanted to take Bert and Ernie off Sesame Street for the same reason. i mean COME ON!
I remember vaguely the storyline of Sesame Street...didn't the network kill off Ernie's character (by acquiring AIDS)? If so, then who would be the person who would have given it to him? Who was the one person who always shared the same room with him at night and who always was his companion during the day? Bert! I wonder if the kids watching the show made the easy connection. :roll:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:09 am

AIDS in Sesame Street?!? Say it ain't so!