Download Knight Rider Game demo

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Download Knight Rider Game demo

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:27 am

The Knight Rider game is featured on the front page of

http://www.fileplanet.com

The download page is here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/118108.shtml

This is just a demo version, so the gameplay should be limited (I have not played this version yet) but my guess is it will give you a good feel for the game.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Sonicfreak
Recruit

Knight Rider The Game demo is now available!

Post by Sonicfreak » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:27 am

Finally the demo for Knight Rider The Game can be downloaded.

Download the demo from here: http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/demo2.asp?id=4636

I noticed Michael Pajaro has posted the same topic, but on the site mentioned above you don't have to register to download.

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:09 pm

I just played the Demo, and I'm now even more impatient for it to come to the U.S. The handling isn't as bad as I thought it would be (I got this impression from reviews from fellow board members). I'm just going to have to wait unil it hits the States!! :D

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:21 am

See that? I'm not absolutely against merging topics.

Mike

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:35 am

That's why I left it for you. I wanted you to join the club. :)

KI

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:34 am

can some one send it too me i cant seem to down load it???
thanks,

Smoothy
Rookie

Post by Smoothy » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:00 am

We've had it in the office here and was going to put it on PC Zone Feb 2003 DVD but due to space constraints, we dropped it. No one here liked it but I liked it. Granted, it's no Gran Turismo or Colin McRae but it was OK.

BTW it's just 1 level, the one where Garth is in the helicopter and you have to chase after it.

It does slow-motion replays everytime you do a dramatic turbo boost, which is a nice touch.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:15 am

Smoothy wrote:BTW it's just 1 level, the one where Garth is in the helicopter and you have to chase after it.
I think that's a good choice. That's the level which I said best captured the feel of the show.

Did they include the CG opening credits in the demo? It doesn't represent the actual gameplay, but it looks cool and would be a good marketing tool.

Mike

Smoothy
Rookie

Post by Smoothy » Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:23 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Did they include the CG opening credits in the demo? It doesn't represent the actual gameplay, but it looks cool and would be a good marketing tool.

Mike
Yes, it's there. All of it :)

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:43 pm

Ok, you guys are probably gonna hate me for this, but after playing the demo, all i can judge is that this is going to be one terrible game. Before you throw the tomatoes, lemme justify myself. While i was playing that demo, i repeatedly found myself asking "why am i still playing this?". The control in the game is ridiculously unresponsive, and KITT feels like a car with all four tires slashed driving on a dirt road. The car has ABSOLUTELY no traction, it swurves horribly out of control at the slightest attempt of a turn. The graphics are mediocre, and the levels and bland and boring with no pedestrians or other cars on the roads. The dashboard of the car looks like a 12 year old designed it, and does not accurately replicate KITT what so ever. I've seen Midtown Madness dashboards designed by fans to be a 100 times better then this one. The turbo boost feature is exciting the first time, but gets boring very fast.

Granted this is only one level of the game, but IMO, a company should give the gamer a pretty good look at the game itself from the demo. If there are better levels then this one...i sure as heck wanna play them in the demo. After i was done playing this, i really didnt wanna go and play the rest of the game.

For the record, i spend a relatively good portion of my day playing video games. As sad as it sounds, ive probably played the all of the best classic games, as well as most of the great games out today. I happen to own quite a few racing games, including Gran Turismo 3 as well as NFS3. What i'm trying to say is, i reviewed this demo as a game itself, rather then giving it a Knight Rider bias. I dunno what went wrong here, but i dont think the rest of the levels are going to be dramatically different from this one. I think it is still wise to give the game a rental before shelling out the dough, unless youre absolutely crazy about the demo. I know many have made the argument that "we should feel fortunate for even having a game", but for me, this was 4 hours of waiting at fileplanet, and playing 20 minutes of frustration and anger.

Sorry for the tirade folks. Let the tomatoes fly.

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:45 pm

Centaurus17 wrote:The car has ABSOLUTELY no traction, it swurves horribly out of control at the slightest attempt of a turn. .
well u could try reducing the sensitivity to help that...

and about the traction part,just go a lil easy on your gas pedal lol (hope ur not using a keyboard)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:15 pm

Centaurus17 wrote:but for me, this was 4 hours of waiting at fileplanet, and playing 20 minutes of frustration and anger.
I'm not sure how literal you are being here. I was also frustrated with the controls for the first half hour. Actually for much longer. It does help if you can do the training mission. Iit took me a few hours of game playing but I got pretty good at steering even with a keyboard. A guy I work with, who is a serous gamer, sat down and adapted to the funky controls almost immediately; he was better after 2 minutes than I was after 2 hours.

There is a bit of a learning curve with the handling, and it probably could be more responsive. But if you stick it out a bit more you'll improve a lot and the game will be much more fun. One of the bad things about using the helicopter chase as the demo is that it is a timed mission. A lot of the fun of the game is ignoring your actual mission and just playing around with ski mode and doing 180s.

I guess my point is that I agree with everything you said. Your description and complaints are dead on. But there is enough of a fun-factor to overcome most of the flaws.

Mike

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:33 pm

You will be glad to know that the helicopter mission is not a timed mission in the actual game. the challenge is just keeping up with it.

also, this is why i never have believed in playing games on a PC...because the controls always take time to get used to and the enjoyment of a game is always spoiled or bought down.

now, mine is a PS2 version and i would say that the controls actually have that Gran Turismo feeling if you have played those games. kitt isn't difficult to control at all and is very responsive although turns can be tricky but since the game is so easy to complete, we need a bit of challenge.

i think the graphics are great for a game like this and same goes for the music and SFX.

you're right about the features of kitt such as turbo boost or ski mode..they can get quickly boring but the missions keep you occupied.

anyways, ive completed the game lots of times and always have been going back to it.

once the game has been fully released, give it another go.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:35 pm

hmmm, 116mb download on 56k modem. I think I'll just wait for the whole game on cd.

DK

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:01 pm

Skav wrote:You will be glad to know that the helicopter mission is not a timed mission in the actual game. the challenge is just keeping up with it.
You're only half right. It's not a timed mission in the sense of having a countdown clock, but if the copter gets too far ahead you will fail the mission and the game will end. So you can't spend time playing around the campgrounds, you always have to keep moving forward.

Mike

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:08 am

You didn't explain yourself properly. You made it sound like it had a timed countdown to the game in which I thought maybe this was for this special demonstration but obviously not. Yes, what you stated is in the final version too. You musn't fall behind or even go too far ahead otherwise you fail.

There are plenty of missions to "play around" with anyway. So not all have that time limit.

The highways themselves aren't that free anyway. You always come to some sort of locked down end and you even can't jump over a bridge barrier on some levels even though the danger of falling down should be there but everytime you try to jump over the barrier, it's like hitting a brick wall.

So playing around isn't really worth it. it doesn't make you want to do that.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:18 pm

In the Demo look at K.I.T.T.'s steering wheel. It doesn't have the black and red Knight Industries Emblem.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:38 pm

unfortunately, that's true to the final version too. can't believe they left that out but if you've seen the dash then it's hardly surprising they left out an emblem.

Skav

KITT431
Recruit

Post by KITT431 » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:08 pm

The whole interior is a disapointment, but I feel that the rest of the game (from the Demo) is still awesome. I just won't drive from the cockpit.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:12 am

**SPOILERS**

Well i took your advice Skav and played the entire game through. The game took me about 2 hours to beat on hard. (there's no real need to say it's too short. everyone's established that already, so im gonna move on). After playing the whole game, i noticed few of the things i had complained about had improved. Lemme state the good things first -- While the pre-rendered backgrounds are still very boring, there is a small amount of variety there. Seeing some buildings, an occasional fleeing car and other cars on the road was a nice change.

Graphically, the game still does not match most of the next gen/pc games out today, but the KITT model is nicely done. Gameplay wise, the game engine is still horrible. The frustrating controls of the game take a very long time to get used to, and initially simply making a turn feels like a chore. Many of the missions are really repetitive, and some of them really show the laziness of Davilex. Im not trying to insult them here, but many of the missions are the exact same map, but this time with a fleeing car, while the next mission will be to scan a building in the same area. Gets boring and fast. The cutscenes are also really lousy, most of them just plain text with pictures. zzzzzz......zzzz.

As far as the sound is concerned, the game does a complete injustice to KITT, as well as the other members of the show. The turbo boost does not give that awesome turbine sound at all, but rather a boring and bland sound that could lull me to sleep. Sorry Davilex, but the voice acting in the game is atrocious (except for KARR, who is actually pretty darn good). Just listening to Bonnie in the earlier missions is laughable, and KITT completely lacks that charm and personality we all loved in the show.

In the long run, like Mike said, yes the game does have a certain fun factor. As a Knight Rider fan, i did find myself enjoying being behind Kitt here and there. It brought back tons of great memories. But again, i think the fun is only there for the extreme KR fans (like most of us here). To be honest, if this game didn't have a Knight Rider name to it, i wouldn't give it a another look after 3 seconds of playing it.

Bottom Line: If you can get past the mediocre graphics, lousy sound effects, and horribly frustrating controls, you might find yourself playing the game long enough to actually enjoy bits of it. If you've made up your mind to love the game before even playing it, well theres nothing really to be done about that then. There ya go folks, for what it's worth, thats my review.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:55 am

I agree on the voice acting. it's VERY bad but i also agree about KARR. that was probably the best voice over and devon's was good too.

michael's was just TOO enthusiastic about missions. and he never is in the show.

i thought the sound FX were good. turbo boost was spot on although it was a very short turbo boosting effect.

ski mode was okay-ish.

loved the noise of the scanner. exactly how it was in the show.

i think the bottom line is that the game is a fan game only. thats why it was hard for me to get hold of the game in the first place.

only one store had it.

so i don't see a sequel anywhere. looks like we're gonna have to settle for this for a while!

Skav