favorite kr toy memory

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

favorite kr toy memory

Post by neps » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:46 am

this is a topic I don't see often discussed, and sometimes I've noticed that it is frowned upon as valid to the show. But I have very fond memories of playing with my Knight Rider toys. I was only ages 4-8 while the show was originally airing, so my memories are not that great of that time, but playing with toys as it was the goal of any kid that age, i can recall pretty clearly. Sadly, I had either taken apart most of them, broken them, or they were thrown away by my mother when I didn't clean up my room.

So I was wondering everyone elses knight rider toy stories.

So I'll start with: It hasn't been until recently after viewing various Knight Rider sites and browsing the different toys that were once available. I remember having the Rough Riders Knight Rider Impossible Stunt set, the Kenner Voice Car, The turbo boost kit, among others.

I distinctly remember opening up that package one night during hanukkah and being excited to see that Knight Industries 2000 talking voice car. I ripped open the box, put the batteries in and pressed down on the license plate. To my surprise I head, "Hola Michael" It seems they accidently put in the spanish version in English box. Well needless to say my mother returned it and everything turned out fine, but it still always sticks out in my mind.

Years down the road when I started becoming nostalgic, I tried looking through my old bags of toys, finding the knight rider toys of yester year, and all I found was this. The two doors from the talking KITT, the Michael Knight action figure, and a matchbox car of KITT that had been stripped so badly from slamming it into things (trying to test KITTs BMS) that all the paint had chipped off and I had tried painting it back on with black sharpie and black model tape.

So now as a 23 year old, I get excited searching for old toys on eBay. I like going into the village and finding what toys someone has discarded and would live again with me. I found a talking KITT on ebay not too long ago. I didn't pay over $100 for it, because it wasn't wanting it MIB that matter, I still wanted to play with it! I found one that mentioned that the voice box was broken, but after hearing of successes in fixing it, I took a chance and purchased it. When it came, I carefully took it apart and was able to fix it. I took the car on the floor, pressed the license plate, and heard KITT speaking to me. My arm brought the car back, and forward again, I released the car and it went crashing into the wall, the Michael Knight figure tossed from the car. Ah, it was good to be a kid again.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

favorite kr toy memory

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:36 pm

I got a few original KR toys myself-

I got the rough riders stunt set, (which don't work to great on a carpeted floor, lol) and the voice car.

I have the whipshifter car (which often got marked up with colored chalk alot to simulate KITT being dumped into the toxic waste as seen on Junk Yard Dog.)

I have the box for the original ERTL model, but as with most kids and their toys, that sucker got its use and eventually met its demise somewhere.

I got the Knight Rider board game as a gift from Paul Sher Jr., the game is cool to have, but not cool to pay. I stuffed it with tissue paper so the stuff wouldn't bounce around in the box and I am going to somewhat seal the box in plastic.

My voice car- well I kept taking those darn doors off and the wear and tear broke a small part of the door off where it snaps into place. After experimenting with ways to keep them on, they were finally superglued, with a teethed-on Michael Knight in permanent position. Paul Sher Jr. joked as I literally "cut my teeth on Michael Knight."

The voice of KITT was busted after it was shortly taken into kindergarten for show and tell. The real KITT can plow through sand, the voice KITT car- can't.

What are these mechanical marvels that can fix the voice car? Anyone able to offer me some help so I can maybe get mine working?

-Scott

Needless to say, it was my favorite Knight Rider toy.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by neps:
<STRONG>this is a topic I don't see often discussed, and sometimes I've noticed that it is frowned upon as valid to the show. But I have very fond memories of playing with my Knight Rider toys. I was only ages 4-8 while the show was originally airing, so my memories are not that great of that time, but playing with toys as it was the goal of any kid that age, i can recall pretty clearly. Sadly, I had either taken apart most of them, broken them, or they were thrown away by my mother when I didn't clean up my room.

So I was wondering everyone elses knight rider toy stories.

So I'll start with: It hasn't been until recently after viewing various Knight Rider sites and browsing the different toys that were once available. I remember having the Rough Riders Knight Rider Impossible Stunt set, the Kenner Voice Car, The turbo boost kit, among others.

I distinctly remember opening up that package one night during hanukkah and being excited to see that Knight Industries 2000 talking voice car. I ripped open the box, put the batteries in and pressed down on the license plate. To my surprise I head, "Hola Michael" It seems they accidently put in the spanish version in English box. Well needless to say my mother returned it and everything turned out fine, but it still always sticks out in my mind.

Years down the road when I started becoming nostalgic, I tried looking through my old bags of toys, finding the knight rider toys of yester year, and all I found was this. The two doors from the talking KITT, the Michael Knight action figure, and a matchbox car of KITT that had been stripped so badly from slamming it into things (trying to test KITTs BMS) that all the paint had chipped off and I had tried painting it back on with black sharpie and black model tape.

So now as a 23 year old, I get excited searching for old toys on eBay. I like going into the village and finding what toys someone has discarded and would live again with me. I found a talking KITT on ebay not too long ago. I didn't pay over $100 for it, because it wasn't wanting it MIB that matter, I still wanted to play with it! I found one that mentioned that the voice box was broken, but after hearing of successes in fixing it, I took a chance and purchased it. When it came, I carefully took it apart and was able to fix it. I took the car on the floor, pressed the license plate, and heard KITT speaking to me. My arm brought the car back, and forward again, I released the car and it went crashing into the wall, the Michael Knight figure tossed from the car. Ah, it was good to be a kid again.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CK
Operative

favorite kr toy memory

Post by CK » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:11 pm

I wish I was a kid again, though some folks say I never quit being one [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] Anyway, I only ever had 2 Kitt toys.

The turbo booster where you put Kitt into a chute and slam on the back of it to send him flying across the floor. And yes I did the magic marker thing too when you could see just a little too much bare metal.

Cut-off Challenge racing set. This was my favorite. I loved to play with it in a dark room when all the lights were lit on the semi and Kitt.

I had the model too but I didn't really play with that. Still have it though it kinda looks a little funky. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheri

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

favorite kr toy memory

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:20 pm

Oh, how I miss version 2001a of the board, that had a whole wonderful discussion of everybody's toys. (So it isn't frowned upon, just hasn't been around for a year.)

I never really had the toys. My dad didn't think it was appropriate for a girl to have what he 'deemed' as guy toys. My mom only got me the viewmaster thingy from Knight Rider, the board game, and the rub on set. I was one deprived child. *sigh*

knightimmortal

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

favorite kr toy memory

Post by sarfraz » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:16 pm

I suppose your spending bucket loads of money on ebay then??!

Sarfraz

neps
Site Administrator

favorite kr toy memory

Post by neps » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Kirkessner:
<STRONG>What are these mechanical marvels that can fix the voice car? Anyone able to offer me some help so I can maybe get mine working? </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly, it was just a simple matter of opening up the car and replacing or reattaching the ruberband that fell off the track. The system is basically a battery, with a motor attached to a record that spins and a plastic speaker attached to it. Its been a couple of years now, so my vision is not as clear, but once you open it up, it should be obvious.

The one I bought the person said it just stopped working, so it seemed like that was the reason. Luckily it was.

And I've had to curb my ebay obsession. the car was primary, and since I got that, I was pretty happy.

although these new cars and semi comming out.. I may just have to save up for those.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

favorite kr toy memory

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:48 pm

My girlfriend bought me the Parker Brothers Knight Rider game when it first came out. She was not a fan, but knew that I would like it.

We played it, and much to her delight, I lost.

Mike

IceKnight
Rookie

favorite kr toy memory

Post by IceKnight » Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:41 am

If I'm not mistaken, somehow I ended up with the Turbo Launcher and no KITT. Go figure... either I lost the car or it was a hand me down. Well, no KITT never bothered me... I pulled a red '84 Trans Am out of my Hot Wheels collection one day, grabbed some bmodel paint, and wha-la... instant KITT. Unfortunately, I wasn't too good at staying on the lines, and I never thought to tape the plastic windows with masking tape, so black pain became yellow windows (I think I didn't have any white paint... :confused [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img].

As for nowadays, I'm waiting to get my hands on the video game.

slickbrit
Volunteer

favorite kr toy memory

Post by slickbrit » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Pajaro:
<STRONG>My girlfriend bought me the Parker Brothers Knight Rider game when it first came out. She was not a fan, but knew that I would like it.

We played it, and much to her delight, I lost.

Mike</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very brave of you to admit it Mike! [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Kxx

Smoothy
Rookie

favorite kr toy memory

Post by Smoothy » Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:44 am

Anyone remember the remote controlled KITT? There were probably several but when I was young, one of my mates had an exact cr replica which had a proper remote control for it (from what I can remember).

Also used to have some sort of Matchbox car stunt set which has two Trans AM cars in with a logo that said "Nitro" on it, but for all intents and purposes were Knight Rider cars.

KRR
Rookie

favorite kr toy memory

Post by KRR » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:10 am

I have a beautiful tin lunchbox in excellent condition, an MK figure with no KITT, the board game, a color and activity book, and recently I bought the carded 'Turbo Pursuit Set,' which contains a plastic comlink and Michael's wallet (identifying him as 'Knight Rider!'). I collect Kenner Toys, mainly focusing on the "Six Million Dollar Man" and KR.

Recently I saw a Voice Car in a local toy shop, about C8, loose, for $150- by the time I had saved up and emailed the owner, it had been shipped to Japan! Finding that was my best toy experience, but realizing that I had lost it was my worst!

Excelsior
Volunteer

favorite kr toy memory

Post by Excelsior » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:55 am

I had the fully remote controlled KITT, must have been mid 80s when the series was still current in the UK. My most distinct memories of it are risking its well being by putting it on the frozen over pond in our garden during the winter in an attempt to recreate impressive 180 turns on the ice! Plus, of course, annoying the dog [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

favorite kr toy memory

Post by sarfraz » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:17 am

There is a "better" way to get the RC KITT to do sliding 180's. When I was about 7 (mid 1980's), I poured some baby oil on the hard kitchen floor. KITT looked the best sliding around. I on the other hand, got rightly told-off by my parents when they got back from shopping....there, one of my best and worst KR toy memory in one.

Sarfraz

monte
Volunteer

favorite kr toy memory

Post by monte » Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:30 pm

I have NEVER had ANY of the Knight Rider
toys as a kid, which REALLy made me
want to disown my parents then,
[img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
But now, 28, I OWN a 1990 T/A which WILL
BE convert into my very OWN grown up
toy KITT/KARR. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

favorite kr toy memory

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:51 pm

i have one too.

worst memory first:
I got the Voice car for my birthday in 83-84 (not sure [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]) and it was (at the time [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]) the coolest toy i ever got. I used to make the popcicle cage to crash KITT into to resque michael like in the ads. Then one day the horrible thing happend. My 2 year old brother jumped out of his crib and landed his full 30 pounds on my poor KITT. Caved in the roof popped out both doors and bent the axles. My mom tried to get me a new one, but by that time it was no longer availble. For many years it was my toy holy grail. I went to various toy/collectible shows in the next 13 years. Found one that was scratched up and missing the figure for 80 bucks [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]. I just gave up about that time.

Heres the best KR toy memory:
Well after giving up searching i was visting my relatives in upstate NY for the summer. I popped into a buddys comicbook/collectibles store and we were BSn about old toys we had and missed. I told him about my quest for the Voice car. He told me that his wife was forcing him to clear out the attic and that he had one minus the box for about 20 bucks. I said let me see it, he brought it in the next day. IT was in MINT cond, wrapped in foam sheet. the finish was flawless, no scratches. the windows were not fogged up like ones did from that era. It had the figure, and the best part, never had a battery in it, EVER. He still sold it to me for 20 bucks. I still have my KITT, sitting proudly next to my 83, and 2002 vintage KITT models. I was offered 600 bucks for him (no joke) at a collectibles show i went to. I had my Voice car in a custom plexiglass case for display. I didnt sell him, he's mine forever.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

favorite kr toy memory

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:01 am

I remember my KR toys:

1. Some pump thing where you stick KITT into this thing and slam down on the handle and KITT would go zooming forwards.

2. This KITT car which you stuck a key into the back and press the fob to see KITT shooting forwards.

3. An electronic KITT car that had a turning wheel thing underneath it so that it would move around on its own of its own accord. It also had a selector switch at the back so you could hear three tunes played.

4. A KITT pedal car that you could sit in.

Unfortunately, when I was a kid, I was worse than that disaster guy in the Police Academy movies, thus none of my toys survived to the present day (in fact they all broke and were thrown away by the age of ten).

BabsBunny
Rookie

favorite kr toy memory

Post by BabsBunny » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:54 am

As a kid, I never had too many Knight Rider toys or anything, other than a little matchbox version of him.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] Most of my stuff I got later. Currently I have 6 versions of KITT and the latest addition was given to me by a dear friend of mine for my birthday.

See, my friend asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I jokingly replied that I wanted a KITT replica. Well, that's what I got for my birthday..only he's much much smaller, and can talk.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] (y'know, that voice car thingie.) So, I renamed him Baby KITT (as Whitebird et all can tell you.. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

favorite kr toy memory

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:43 pm

How come i haven't seen this post before...hmm well..... As a kid I had a big fig model of KITT 30cm in length by 6cm in length i think..and it was the best car i ever had. Being the kid i was i loved the scanner on the front, witch was a sticky decal..Kids will be kids i peeled it off AHHH no scanner. So i got my dad to spray a red thin line on the bonnet for me wooohooo...i was well away. You know how simple we all were as kids well i got it in my head that seeing as KITT could get through anything without a scratch so could my trusty car...Nah!!!....by a few weeks the car turned a shallow grey under coat colour..*sniff* and so the process went on, back to Argos got another."maybe this one will be like KITT" back to nice grey grrrrrrrrrrrrr...LOL....

K.I.T.T

K.I.T.T

BabsBunny
Rookie

favorite kr toy memory

Post by BabsBunny » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:51 pm

*giggles* My friend was relaying a funny story to me. He had the KITT launcher when he was a kid....only he used it to shoot other kids with.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

favorite kr toy memory

Post by Centaurus17 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:58 pm

LOL Babs! The KR voice car was probably my favorite. Im not sure if this really counts as a toy but i also really loved my KR handheld game. I know the graphics were cheesy, but back then i couldnt get enough it....Hehe