Random merchandising thoughts

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dreamchild
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Dreamchild » Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:57 am

Just thinking, if this new film genuinely is going to be a major movie they're going to bring out merchandising, but what would you want to see for sale?

Thinking along this line myself made me think that it would be really cool if you could get a Knight Rider chess set, but that made me think who would be what piece - the king is the most important piece and the queen the most powerful. So, I was thinking Devon for King and Kitt for Queen. Then I got all confused and didn't know what to think. So what about you lot then? What do you think?

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:03 pm

For the chess set.. I suppose Michael should be king, because he was the main character, but he wasn't exactly very .. regal. Devon as king, Bonnie as queen? Lots of Kitts for the pawns (and KARRs batting for the opposition). And the little horsey figure (I'm a chess champion [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) would of course be the Knight logo. Where would Michael fit in (his opposite would have to be Garthe)?

Sarah

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:48 pm

Hey another day, another message board, well atleast theres choice.

Merchandising NKR? what ever happens I'll tell you one thing, there WILL be alot of poeple from the boards with little or no money left....well theres is one good thing, we have atleast another 2 years to save up.

sarfraz

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: sarfraz ]

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SadArticle:
<STRONG>And the little horsey figure (I'm a chess champion [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Sarah</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I brought up this idea on the old-old board, there were a few different answers.

But, I like the idea of the "Knight" piece being the logo.

For an original KR chess set, I'd say that...

+ Devon most certainly has to be the King. Because the King is the head controller who must always be protected...else, game over.

+ Bonnie really should be the Queen. Because in the original Chess instructions, the Queen was almost as powerful as the King (Meaning that she could not move more than one space per turn and was almost as important as the King.) and Bonnie is the only woman.

+ KITT should be the Rook. Because KITT is a powerful character that can protect and go long distances...within limitations.

+ Michael should be the Bishop. Because Michael is also a powerful character that can do the things that KITT cannot. As the Rook can cover one direction, Michael can cover the other.

+ Either RC III on his bike or the Knight Symbol should be the Knight. I suppose RC III could make high jumps on his bike.

+ Either RC III on his bike or the FLAG Semi should be the pawns. Semi pawns are more for a position of the semi. But, making RC III the pawn makes more sense. As a pawn can be somewhat protective, a minor character with a not-so-minor position and the rare chance to transform into a major character, later in the game.

I suppose Garthe should be the opposition Bishop and KARR should be the opposition Rook. If the FLAG Semi is used for pawns, then Goliath should be the opposing pawn. Other positions are far more debateable.

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:58 pm

So is it still checkmate or can we mate a knight? Just when I thought Mike was the only obsessed Knight Rider fan here...

Couldn't resist.

Richie

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:02 am

You could have MK as the king, with KITT as the queen. The king would have to MK as he would be the one who was most important - and KITT to protect him.

Sorry if my reply doesn't make any sense but I've just exams and my brain has decided to quit functioning now.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:21 pm

I think I'd like to see the Voice car brought back, except with a chip in the car that holds the sounds not a little record player.

Dave

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:18 pm

I think the Knight logo would be a better choice over RC3. From a purely logical point of view, of course [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

And I'm sure I've seen Garthe's name as 'Garthe Bishop', in some poorly researched account of the series somewhere.

The show was probably influenced by the chess link, at least in part, with the symbolic interpretation of 'knight'.

Dr. Bergstrom: Goodnight, Kitt. And perhaps a fast game of chess before I leave?

Kitt: I'd be delighted! There are still 642 variations of the Stravinsky defence I'd like to try

Michael rolls his eyes [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sarah

Dreamchild
Volunteer

Post by Dreamchild » Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knight2000:
<STRONG>
Sorry if my reply doesn't make any sense but I've just exams and my brain has decided to quit functioning now.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know how you feel, I got kind of garbled in the original post because I was trying to do several things at once, including a formal lab report that was several days late.

What I was going to say was that there was a part of me that was very amused as Michael as a Queen, but maybe that's just me. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Like everyone elses ideas though.

Calum

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:49 pm

I'd like to see official KR vehicle accessories. Like voice boxes, scanners. Something a little less expensive than Marks Custom Kitts thats functional but not too dorky or cheap looking.

Then I wanna see leather jackets. Hair perming kits, blue contact lenses, and those crazy looking big lensed dark glasses.

and ESPECIALLY a KR video game that will have a choice 4 vehicles (KITT,KARR,KIFT and Goliath) AND a choice of which side you play on. And different scenerios also. I could go on forever about my ideas of a racing/rpg style crime solving KR game but i won't. too lazy ^^P

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlazeFox:
<STRONG>and ESPECIALLY a KR video game that will have a choice 4 vehicles (KITT,KARR,KIFT and Goliath) AND a choice of which side you play on. And different scenerios also. I could go on forever about my ideas of a racing/rpg style crime solving KR game but i won't. too lazy ^^P</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully, either my or msKen's game can fill *some* of your ideas. Only time will tell.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:30 pm

Hmm, so, anybody else got any more thoughts on merchandising for the new movie? (Yep, it's Sunday, got to resurrect a little more for your posting enjoyment.)

I want posters! Big posters, so I can make my room a little more KR and a little less Star Trek. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:12 pm

I'd like to nab the poster from the theater if it's possible.

Cheri

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Whiteheart:
<STRONG>I think I'd like to see the Voice car brought back, except with a chip in the car that holds the sounds not a little record player.

Dave</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be ace...i would love them to bring out a slightly bigger scale model of K.I.T.T from the Corgi one and have the turbo boost sound effect in it...maybe a button on the back number plate....woohoo...yeah a big kid after all huh...just for that simple effect im sure they would sell!!

K.I.T.T [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:17 pm

I nabbed the 'queen of the damned' poster from a bus shelter here in the UK so here's to hoping they'll put a KR poster up somewhere around here.

As for merchandising....more 1/18 die cast metal cars, computer games based on the MOVIE(the game coming out isn't), more dvd's, videos, t shirts....basically the hype trend they did with titanic and spiderman when they first came out!

Skav