Who would you like to play Michael?

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightvision
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightvision » Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:05 pm

My pics and reasoning behind the movie in all practicallity....

Michael Knight- David Duchovny...he is about the only one I would feel comfortable with behind the wheel. I think he is just nutty enough to pull of the talking car bit.

Devon Miles- Sean Connery....Perfect compliment and old enough for the role.

Bonnie Barstow- Angelina Jolie- Even know the role might be limited I would still pay to see her flirt with our hero!

Voice of KITT- William Daniels....if Daniels won't do it or is not around then Patrick Stewart

Richie http://www.knightriderlegacy.com

"One Man, One Car, One Legacy"

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuckysan:
<STRONG>hmmm

KITT: Patrick Stuart

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oooh, excellent idea (only if WD isn't willing or not available, yadda, yadda). To quote a coworker of mine, 'I'd pay to listen to him read the phonebook.'

[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Or, if anyone would be willing to go out on a limb, Chi McBride (I think that's his name) from Boston Public (he's the principal, I think). I've only seen the show a few times and never really paid much attention to him. But I heard a radio interview with him, and I was just floored. He has an amazing voice. I was flipping stations and I just stopped to listen to him, not even knowing who he was.

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: knightshade ]

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightvision:
<STRONG>

Voice of KITT- William Daniels....if Daniels won't do it or is not around then Patrick Stewart

Richie
"One Man, One Car, One Legacy"</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't Patrick Stewart (never mind the staring role on a Trek series) still support his declaration to avoid doing television shows in order to concentrate on theatre?

dinknight
Volunteer

Post by dinknight » Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:13 am

Ok ...my turn

MK's replacement: Van Diesel, you know....the star of fast and furios...

dinknight
Volunteer

Post by dinknight » Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:22 am

oh yes, sandra bullock looks a lot like bonnie right? She gets my vote.

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:45 am

This is slightly removed from the original topic, but the thread jogged my memory. How much does Bonnie, in Sky Knight (sat with the kid):

Archive: Sky Knight

Look like Tiffani-Amber Thiessen from her 'Saved By The Bell' days?

Apologies:

(a) For using space if the image link works (feel free to delete)

(b) If nothing works! I hate UBB code

And please God no, not Sean Connery. What an insult to Edward Mulhare. Are there any more dapper British gents out there?

Sarah

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: SadArticle ]

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuckysan:
<STRONG>hmmm

Micheal: Scott Caan or Mat LeBlanc

Bonnie: None

Personally though (I know this is gonna rouse some feathers and its not meant to) I don't want them to give KITT back his personality.
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt LeBlanc (and Patrick Stewart) have the same problem, in my eyes - they are both typecast. Matt is forever going to be Joey from Friends, and Patrick is 'the Captain from The Next Generation' - but Matt especially. He works as Joey because he is Joey by now. This is why his ventures into other projects haven't really succeeded, as with the other Friends cast members (bar maybe Courteney Cox). I think the new Knight Rider needs somebody relatively unknown, who can be 'made' into David's replacement, and for Kitt, somebody known for the right reasons - *cough* William Daniels.

I agree about the mechanic, to a point. There's been discussion about who should 'replace' Patricia McPherson as Bonnie, but can she be replaced? Why not start again, from scratch? But if there is no Bonnie-character, there should be room for a strong female co-star (not too keen on the idea of Devon's granddaughter, though). And once again, Angelina Jolie wouldn't work, in my opinion (although I can guess why her name has been volunteered... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) Why go for big names? The original started with relative unknowns, after all.

I'd hate to see Knight Rider lose what made it what it was, just because it's gunning for the big screen. Kitt's personality is a point - if that is removed, it's not really Knight Rider (at least not for those who watched it for more than the stunts).

Where did I put that banner? Ah, yes. "We want Kitt! Keep Kitt in!" [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sarah

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SadArticle:
<STRONG>Kitt's personality is a point - if that is removed, it's not really Knight Rider (at least not for those who watched it for more than the stunts).

Where did I put that banner? Ah, yes. "We want Kitt! Keep Kitt in!" [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sarah</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Let's face it. If the AI in the car has no personality, it just wouldn't be KR. (Even KR 2010 knew that.) If it was just an armored car with devices, you might as well call the movie "Viper 3000: Revival."

P.S.: AngelFire hasn't permitted remote image hosting for well over a year, now.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:19 pm

I think of it as 2 questions:

1) Who would play Michael Knight?
2) Who would be KITT's driver?

You don't need Michael Knight specifically behind the wheel to have a Knight Rider movie. Hasselhoff could have a small role in the movie but hand the keys over to a brand new character (which sounds like that may be what will happen.) I still like my idea from last year of having Johnny Depp or Ethan Hawke as KITT's new driver. Either one could add a bit of an edge.

The only way I would recast the role of Michael Knight would be to go the comedy route, redoing a Knight Rider movie as a sort of self-parody. In that case, I think Kirk Cameron would be perfect as Michael Knight.

Mike

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:45 pm

oh yeah. russel crowe is so hot. he'd make a good michael knight. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

KITT

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:10 pm

Going with the idea of handing it to the Next Generation rather than recasting (so much more swallowable to those who love the series, and are the primary fan base for it) I wouldn't mind seeing Adrian Paul (from Highlander: The Series) as KITT's new driver.

Michael Knight (with Hasselhoff playing him)would be ideal to take over Devon's position. I think most of us fans could deal with that.

Some of the other suggestions that have come up are interesting, but still sort of hard for at least me to swallow. I guess I am too much of a purist.

knightimmortal

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Pajaro:
<STRONG>I think of it as 2 questions:

1) Who would play Michael Knight?
2) Who would be KITT's driver?

I still like my idea from last year of having Johnny Depp or Ethan Hawke as KITT's new driver. Either one could add a bit of an edge.

Mike</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both of those guys are good suggestions, Mike. Either one would be good if they wanted to stay away from anything campy. If they wanted to try to make the movie more serious (and I would be all for it, most of hte audience has grown up, after all) either actor would help a lot. But if they wanted to make a more campy movie, like Charlie's Angels, then they'd probably need to go with someone else. And if the title really is Super Knight Rider 3000, then I think the latter is more likely.

Oh and Sarah you were mentioning going with unknowns. Not a bad idea, but I'd be afraid that it would be a box office flop without at least one big name. DH and Daniels are not big enough to carry a movie. And let's face it, no matter what happens at the box office, DH is still going to be cannon fodder for the late night talk show comedians. If they had one big name to draw in some people outside the established fandom, I think the movie would be better off.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:45 pm

You have some bold statements there Chuckysan- I definitely respect those ideas.

Yes, having just one young mechanic/engineer/programmer was a little far-fetched. But I think the concept of the attractive mechanic is part of the Knight Rider charm and I wouldn't want to see the Bonnie idea wiped out completely. Perhaps they could have a Chief Engineer who is the on-screen go-to-gal, but at least there's a team of engineers in the background. Or maybe they have a staff of workers who get assigned shifts in the Mobile Unit, and the new "Bonnie" just happens to be the mechanic on duty when the movie takes place.

Definitely agree that villians can make or break a movie. And yes, let it be a new bad guy, not a TV rehash.

Mike

Karrs_Shadow
Volunteer

Post by Karrs_Shadow » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:04 pm

I'm sorry but I just can't picture Micheal Knight as anyone but David Hasselhoff. Nor Kitt as anyone but William. I like the idea of MK being in Devon's spot. I'm not sayin that he's still gunna drive Kitt...cuz I don't think he should...

I think someone younger should drive Kitt... Angelina Jolie would make a kickass driver but I think we learned that female drivers and Kitt don't work very well together...specially when both partners are sharing the same memory chips. don't get me wrong, i'm a chick and i'd love to drive kitt but it seems like a male driver suits him more.

I like the Van Diesel idea but then again, there is the idea of having someone who isn't a bigtimer. Dunno, we may just have to wait and see what Larson and Hasselhoff come up with [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Shadow

wilton knight
Stranger

Post by wilton knight » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:23 pm

okay i know it was also 80s' but are you really calling 'short circuit' a flop???

and yet it featured a lead character that was mechanical....

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wilton knight:
<STRONG>okay i know it was also 80s' but are you really calling 'short circuit' a flop???

and yet it featured a lead character that was mechanical....</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh??? Where did Johnny 5 come in on this discussion?

But, since you brought it up, the two Short Circuit movies weren't exactly going places. In fact, when I first looked for SC web sites, I only found three. And, the third one claimed that the other two were the only sites that web master could find, too. And, I'm not really sure that there have been any parodies of renegade army robots appearing...anywhere.

I'm not sure SC was honestly declaired a flop or a success. It just seems to have landed in that...erm...unsightly place. (You know...those kinds of movies where all actors involved need not fear a type-casting...as nobody ever remembers or even knows about them. AKA: The Bermuda Film Triangles of Hollywood.)

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jup:
<STRONG>

P.S.: AngelFire hasn't permitted remote image hosting for well over a year, now.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew something would go wrong. There's me, and then there's fancy links, and never the twain shall meet [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Anybody interested enough in comparison to troll over to the Angelfire site itself, this is the link:

Tiffani-Amber Thiessen

Sarah

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightshade:
<STRONG>

Oh and Sarah you were mentioning going with unknowns. Not a bad idea, but I'd be afraid that it would be a box office flop without at least one big name.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understood the thinking behind the big names from the beginning, I just thought I'd go out on a limb with my minority opinion [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] It's not so much 'big names' that jar with me, but names associated with a certain character. I guess I mean 'B' list names (with Angelina et al being 'A', and, sadly, Hasselhoff and William Daniels as 'C'). Matt LeBlanc has, in my solitary opinion, blown his acting career by starring in Friends for so long. It's not all his fault - that the show was so successful, and his character so appealing (in the beginning [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] ) contributed to the 'Joey from Friends' syndrome. But that's all I ever think, when I see him outside of the show. Same with David Duchovny. I admire Noah Wyle of 'ER' for at least having the sense to stick with the show that made his name, and not having delusions of grandure (How many actors move on to try 'new fields', or 'something more serious', and are never heard from again?)

And I just don't like Sean Connery [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Sarah (racking her brains to join in the suggestions)

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SadArticle:
<STRONG>

I guess I mean 'B' list names (with Angelina et al being 'A', and, sadly, Hasselhoff and William Daniels as 'C'). Matt LeBlanc has, in my solitary opinion, blown his acting career by starring in Friends for so long.

And I just don't like Sean Connery [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Sarah (racking her brains to join in the suggestions)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you on Matt LeBanc. Yuck. He's like Keanu Reeves, you'd have to put a "whoa!" in there somewhere. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I actually agree with you about Sean Connery too. I like him a lot but he has more of an edge to him than I would like to see for Devon (not that I'm pro-recasting Devon -- I'm not). It's like Anthony Hopkins, who's been mentioned in the past. I don't think either one makes a good father figure. You just don't exactly trust them.

I think Angelina Jolie would be fine. She is an oscar winner and she's played Lara Croft, so I wouldn't argue about her. At least she has some spunk (for want of a better word). I would hate to see a 'chief mechanic' part go to some fluffy bunny actress.

Just my babbling. I don't really have any firm ideas about who I would like to see in the movie. Just no one lame. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

wilton knight
Stranger

Post by wilton knight » Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:34 am

sorry about where that post appears chronologically, i was replying to an earlier post on page one, about having the robotic character played as just that, robotic...

i was arguing that short circuit worked purely because of the robot NOT being mechanical in personality (a la KITT)

did that clear it up?

Chuckysan
Volunteer

Post by Chuckysan » Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:32 pm

You know, I've been thinking and reading this whole thread (alot of interesting thoughts transposed here) and have re-thought some of my answers.

As for a new driver for KITT (beit a new Micheal character or someone else) I was thinking the other posted ideas of James Marsters or Adrian Paul would work very nicely. And both really haven't broke through into movies. I also thought that the leads from WB's Smallville tv series (the person who plays Clark or Lex Luthor, don't know there names) would also work very well. Heck, if you really wanted to stir things up, you could always throw a Wayans brother in there .... or then again maybe not lol.

And thinking about KITT, I realize I was wrong, and that the car having a personality IS a central part of Knight Rider. Maybe with a new re-invention of the exterior a new, little less child like personality would emerge?

Well Time will tell I supose

Karrs_Shadow
Volunteer

Post by Karrs_Shadow » Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:08 pm

I think Kitt has already developed a more 'adult' attitude..or at least one of a teenager. think about KR2K...

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:54 pm

I like the idea of David Hasselhoff as Micheal Knight being the boss/father-figure/dispatcher type. I have an idea for the driver, though. There's a fairly unknown actor who has been on a couple of minor series. If you watched the Nickelodeon series Animorphs(Some series adapt a book series well... that series most definitely didn't. >_<* Of course, the fact that I had read every book up to the day the series was released might bias me.), the actor for Tobias, Christopher Ralph does the mysterious bishounen thing very well.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KOSI:
<STRONG>I like the idea of David Hasselhoff as Micheal Knight being the boss/father-figure/dispatcher type. I have an idea for the driver, though. There's a fairly unknown actor who has been on a couple of minor series.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the idea of Michael becoming the boss/father-figure, too. At this point in his life, I think it could be a better fit for him than as the action man.

And, I also think this would be a great role for a great, but relatively unknown actor to fill. After all, it really worked wonders for David's memorability amongst the viewers.

It reminds me of a trivia question the DJ was asking on the radio a few mornings ago. He was asking for the name of an actor/actress who started acting at 5 months old and had guest appearances on such shows as Charles in Charge, Mr. Belvadear, (mis-spelled, I know.) 21 Jumpstreet and a bunch of other shows I never watched. The phone lines were lighting up like crazy and everyone had their own incorrect guesses. Almost ten minutes later, the DJ adds a couple more clues. This person co-starred on an early FOX comedy show that literally made the network what it was. Suddenly, the lines filled up with only one name, Christina Applegate...as Married, with Children's Kelly.

Oh, what a difference the right role can make.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:50 am

No way. It'd hafta be the guy who plays Oz.
Aside from playing a werewolf in Buffy he also is in his own show with his pal Greg The Bunny. the show reminds me of MST3k except without movies to makefun of. instead they just drag in alotta actors and actresses and spoof everything. Verrrrrry funny. Watched it last night and I coulda sworn i saw Mellissa Joan Hart(Clarissa Explains It All, Sabrina The Teenage Witch)
In there.. was ka-raaaaay-zee.

I want either Hasselhoff or possibly Busta Rhymes to play Michale. Sure you may say Busta Rhymes would make the film crappy, but I think that it would be kewel to let the man realize his dream.

also I want a combonation of Don Peke and Trent Reznor to do all the music for the movie.

go here please
http://us.imdb.com/boards/wwwthreads.pl?action=list&Board=b0280130

I'm the only one there.

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: BlazeFox ]