Junk Yard Dog (warning: mini-essay)

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garrettmichaels:
<STRONG>The only thing that is impossible to explain with this interpretation is the tires still being on the wheels. So except for the “magic tires” the MBS held.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good point. There is something about those tires that is different from every other tire in existance. Because, in another episode, KITT is exposed to a super-intense laser beam, (that is suppose to cut through anything) that is used to burst one of KITT's front tires. Then, he starts complaining like those tires are suppose to be beyond destroyable. And, in another episode, the point is made that KITT can drive over those "one way" spikes, while the people in pursuit flatten theirs. So, the most likely conclusion is that the original tires are MBS coated. Which helps to prove that the MBS formula did offer protection against the chemicals in the pit. (Plus, the MBS formula can be flexible.)

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: jup ]

Darknight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Darknight » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:22 pm

I think they meant that the car wasn't made from any one metal, or ordinary metal, because the very word alloy means a mixture of metals. Perhaps Knight Industries found out about carbon nanotubes before anyone else, and discovered an efficient means to manufacture them. Nanotube structures behave like metal, yet they're not a true metal as we think of it. Carbon is a semi-conductor, but in nanotube for it acts more like a superconductor, and has freakish strength also. Or perhaps Knight Industries discovered a means to produce metals in the purest form, which allows a particular metal to have around 10x the strength it normally has, even at the highest industry standards.

This nano-technology could explain KITT's awesome computing power, as they allow for atom-sized transistors to be made, which as you may well guess, would make for a good many decisions per second in a processor.

Darknight

Karrs_Shadow
Volunteer

Post by Karrs_Shadow » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:36 pm

but there's something not right about the mbs being able to seal on rubber surfaces. I mean, in JYD, when micheal reapplyed the mbs to kitt, it went on like paint. Most car paints are like acrylics, not exactly i know, but they aren't flexable. if the mbs was on the tires, then it'd have to have more than one version. MBS is strong but i dont' think it can be used as a universal application.

Perhaps the tires are made of a special rubber, not mbs...they could be a later form of steel radials that are on cars today. maybe the wires that line the inside of the rubber are made from a titanium alloy and the rubber can be super treated to resist heat, punctures, and pretty much everythign else you could do to them.

then you think of that one episode...when kitt had to develop a 4wd mode of sorts. his tires then had spikes that portruded out at the push of a button. if the tires were sealed in a mbs coating, the spikes would puncture it and make it vunerable.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:53 am

First of all, it was mentioned in one of the episodes that KITT's tires were coated with something else, not standard rubber.

Second, I think the MBS did have more than a few forms, sort of like a variance of strengths for different applications.

knightimmortal

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:26 am

KITT's tires are not indestructable! Teflon bullets and a high powered laser can cut right through the tires.

As for Junk Yard Dog all Michael did was reapply the black paint to the car. I always assumed that those who rebuilt the car added the MBS.

I just assume we dont see the MBS being added back on to the car. In Goliath Garthe sprayed Goliath with it, he did not paint it.

So I would assume it was sprayed on but we did not see it.

Richie http://www.knightriderlegacy.com

"KITT is just more then the sum of his parts Michael! You can't just put him back together again and expect it to be KITT!"- Bonnie responding to Michael in the semi in a cut US Syndication scene in JYD

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: knightvision ]