K.A.R.R's Colours

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Zoom7000
Volunteer

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Zoom7000 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:52 am

Hey folks, I was just wondering, in K.I.T.T vs. K.A.R.R, what was the reason for the change in the colour of K.A.R.R, at the start of the episode K.A.R.R is all black and almost identical to K.I.T.T apart from the Amber Scanner, later on in the episode, we see K.A.R.R and a Navy blue with White bottom half. Was there a reason for the change mid way through? And how did K.A.R.R change?

Zoom7000

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:55 am

Ok, he was not Navy Blue, your screen needs a bit of a color adjustment. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] He was black and white (though some call it a silver white) and the reason for it is a scene that is cut out of some syndication airings where KARR requests that John help him change his appearance so that he doesn't look like KITT. We do not actually see the paint job happening, but it was at KARR's request.

knightimmortal

JL
Operative

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by JL » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:58 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>Ok, he was not Navy Blue, your screen needs a bit of a color adjustment. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I've seen the same thing on my copy of "KITT vs. KARR" (taped off WGN two or three years back). In some scenes, the black looks navy blue. I know it really is black, but it comes out not quite right for one reason or another.

Skav
FLAG Operative

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Skav » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:00 am

same here too on some scenes.

Skav

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:59 am

Ditto too... looks navy blue a lot. Maybe it's the lighting mixing with the silver blue making it look navy?

-Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>same here too on some scenes.

Skav</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sith
FLAG Assistant

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Sith » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:04 am

LOL

Maybe KARR fancied a 2 tone paint colour?

That was pretty bad editing though. One minute he's all black, you go to a commercial break, and he looks a different car!

Ok, its not vital to the plot, but it leaves the audience going... "EH? Did I miss something?" [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by CB2001 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:48 pm

KARR was black and silver (or gray).

And the reason why it was done, there are two that I can think of:

1. He wanted to look different from KITT, since he knew he was the prototype and was "unique" on his own.
2. To disguise himself from anyone who was looking for a black T-Top (not a black and {insert other color here} T-Top).

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Code Breaker ]

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Centaurus17 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:34 pm

That's odd because the KARR mini-z cars that are all over ebay are white with a navy blue top. And my monitor doesnt need adjustment for that one, im sure its blue.

See for yourself.

I dunno, maybe he was blue.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:54 pm

Thats a smart looking car!!!!!!!!!!!
Now i may be wrong, but it seems a bluey grey sort of colour to me...ahhhhhh curse this colour thing lol

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:43 pm

Silver blue- oh my that was a silly typo. I didn't mean silver blue, I meant silver/whitish color on the bottom. Heh. For ahwhile, I saw KARR's voice mod to be originally green more than yellow and I had to change my screen too.

-Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>To all of you who are seeing navy blue (and specifically you, Scott K. with your silver blue) you might want to do a little adjusting to your television screens. Seriously. I also have to ask if you are seeing KARR's scanner as green, rather than yellow.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by spyhunter » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:31 pm

<STRONG>Ok, he was not Navy Blue, your screen needs a bit of a color adjustment. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] He was black and white (though some call it a silver white) and the reason for it is a scene that is cut out of some syndication airings where KARR requests that John help him change his appearance so that he doesn't look like KITT. We do not actually see the paint job happening, but it was at KARR's request.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have always seen KARR as Black/Silver with a Yellow Voice Mod in the second half of KVK. Do you have any proof that he was intended to be Black/White K.I.?

A good question is how KARRs scanner magically turned from Red in TDR, to Yellow in KVK...

SH

Skav
FLAG Operative

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Skav » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:35 pm

The salt water from the ocean caused his scanner to turn yellow.

Skav

Newcastle knight
Operative

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:48 pm

The proof is in the episdoe spyhunter. when John parks KARR up in the garage, KARR tells john he wants to alter his appearance. he never actually says, i wish to have the lower half of my body painted white/silver or whatever but you get the idea.

to me, KARR does not look blue in the slightest in the episode. and the lower half to me is definatly an off-white colour, not quite white, but not quite silver.

scott

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by spyhunter » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newcastle knight:
<STRONG>The proof is in the episdoe spyhunter. when John parks KARR up in the garage, KARR tells john he wants to alter his appearance. he never actually says, i wish to have the lower half of my body painted white/silver or whatever but you get the idea.

to me, KARR does not look blue in the slightest in the episode. and the lower half to me is definatly an off-white colour, not quite white, but not quite silver.

scott</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant was proof that KARR's paint job is Black/White vs. Black/Silver? Because to me, the lower half of KARR's body has always looked a definite Silver color, very shiny at that.

SH

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:37 pm

I have seen pictures of Kitt where the reflection of the sky and I guess the sunlight have made him look navy blue

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:41 pm

I have seen pictures of Kitt where the reflection of the sky and I guess the sunlight have made him look navy blue.

(see below)

This may have been a factor in the colors, althought the bottom part deffinatly looks silver to me

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by CB2001 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:41 pm

Actually, I don't think the R/C car is proof of KARR's actual color, since they've got both KITT and KARR's tires and hubs the wrong size.

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Centaurus17 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:55 pm

It is obvious that before KARR got the paint job that he was black, i dont think anyone is contesting that. But i strongly believe that KARR was navy blue after the paint job. I've been watching this episode many times trying to come to a conclusion, and i feel this is the case.

I dunno i could be wrong.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:33 pm

Ok, take a look at a silver color, silver to most people has a greyish tinge to it, not just the shine, so saying that he is black/white, black/silver can be the same thing, though the whitish is more accurate. I guess if you go by the crayola color chart, he is white, if you go by the chemical color chart, he can be silver. To each their own on that. In the script, they say he is silver. I am not going to argue on that.

As for the navy blue, he...is...NOT. He is black. Black, black, black. Change your screen if you are seeing it wrong, but he is still BLACK. The model....is wrong.

And to back that up, check the script: http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/scripts/306-7.htm

More specifically:
'It's early AM as K.A.R.R. slides out of an alley in the
morning light and pulls into a parking lot next to a small
bank. There's no one in sight except a little Old Lady
punching buttons at one of the windows marked, "Quick-Cash
-- 24 Hours". K.A.R.R., we now see, has been repainted
with John's help; black top, silver side panels. He looks
sharp.'

knightimmortal

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Centaurus17 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:07 pm

Well...I stand corrected. Shoulda known better then to argue with ya KI - LOL.

Heh, a lot of the shots of KARR can be confusing, but i guess in the end he was black. I guess that settles that [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by jup » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:11 pm

I suspect that one possible culprit of poor coloring in episodes might have occurred during the editing stage. If the equipment used to make either the master syndication or some of the distribution masters were off a little in their settings, the "not-so-black" KARR scenes could be a tell-tale sign.

Once you have your television's color settings correctly adjusted, you should never have to re-adjust them...or, at least until your TV has begun to enter it's "elderly" state. (My current "TV" is a Commodore 1702 monitor. Probably built around the time of Knight Rider's final season. It STILL has as sharp and clear a picture today as it did back then. If the volume knob wasn't inside the controls cover, I'd probably never even need open it.)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:15 pm

For your information, if it wasn't adjusted right in the first place, then rather obviously it would have to be adjusted. Or for that matter, if you move it any distance. Etc.

KI

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:26 am

To all of you who are seeing navy blue (and specifically you, Scott K. with your silver blue) you might want to do a little adjusting to your television screens. Seriously. I also have to ask if you are seeing KARR's scanner as green, rather than yellow.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by Skav » Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:48 am

no, i'm seeing normal yellow. and yes, actually ive just figured it could be just the fact it's the type of lighting they used for that particular episode...maybe it unintentionally made the car blue.

of course, altering your settings on your tv will make it black but that's ok...i can live with what i see.

Skav

SadArticle
Operative

K.A.R.R's Colours

Post by SadArticle » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:38 pm

I preferred KARR from 'Trust Doesn't Rust', when he was Kitt's aesthetic 'twin' - it just added to the tension. The possibility that 'there but for the grace of re-programming goes Kitt' was emphasised when the two cars were identical. And I loved the scene at the beginning, when KARR mirrored Kitt's first meeting with Michael, by appearing out of the gloom. There is, speaking on a bit of a tangent, a current commercial for Audi that makes me think of that scene - the new car is compared to a bull, and they it 'charge' out of the shadows at the camera.

Sarah