problems and possible improvements for the pc game knight ri

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:23 pm

This email has ben long comming,the wy this board ahs been suggesting all different types of improvements in the game.Here is what think should be improved on:

1.Dashboard:All lights on the dash should be there even if it can't be accurate i would at least like to see the monitor and the switchpods behind the wheel.Anyone buying the game won't even think kitt buttons all over the place like lower console,switchpods,overhead console.I realize it would be ahrd to see all of it but we can probably fit some of it in the dash view.

2.SPM MODE:I don't know about you but i think spm mode was very hard to control at first.If not for the brakes kitt would turn into every angle and every turn.I think it should have been like the night vision.You press s button and spm comes on and stays on instead of having to continuously hold it down.It was much harder to use the ski mode or reach the brakes to control spm while holding the s button down.

I think there should have been a 2 player mode for racing cars,or a bashing mode where we can destroy th heck out of eachother in any car we choose and in any level we choose.The 2 player mode should have the option of one pc 2 players or the tcp ip connection or my favorite play over the net with other people who you know who have the game.Maybe adding the feature to type to eachother simaler to unreal tournament.You should be able to use cars fromt he agme as well as fromt he series,like the juggernaught,the car from custom made killer,or knight racer,or even the special kitts that we saw in the series like the one from sammys stunt show spectacular,or the firey one in custom kitt or the one we see as kitt all white from kotj and junk yard dog.By the way i was very disapointed to find out we cant use the special kitts as a cheat at th menu to put in alot of different styles for kitt.

3.Why are there no special codes to use at the main menu to make it even easier for the extremely hard to play gamers who have no clue how bet a lvel with hard timers set.I would like codes like different kitts,infinite health,infinite spm mode.

4.I know for a fact the episodes they researched for the the game were kitt vs karr and trust doesn't rust which were just a few so the game designers did know kitt had a laser system that wasnt used mch int he series but would have been usefull in destroy missions.We could have definatly used it aginst karr instead of just having to hump the cars we have to destroy or just ram them real hard with spm mode to realy get a strong hit.

5.More views of the game:I would have liked to use the number pad ont he right of all our keyboards to get different views of the car while driving like side view,realy high helicopter view,front view of kitts scanner to see exactly what behind us.i wanted to use this badly when i was chasing the chase car to use kitts pattentd move of outrunning a car and then turning slightly to the left or right and making the car flip upside down in th air like in lost knight.

6.I know there aren't any figure at all in the game but i would have liekd to ee bonnie and devond waiting in the rear of the caning in the semi like in the series.I also would have liked tt maybe see a few high quality movie clips in the semi like michael and devond talking about the missions or and bonnie getting ready to give kitt an overhaul of kits sytems and complaining to michael how he never treats kitt with any reguard for his safety.Or maybe we could have seen some high quality clips of Michael talking to Devon on the computer monitor in kitts dash.Discussing the missions and stuff.

7.Kitts other functions:I would have liked to use the laser to destroy the cars,the grappling hook to capture them and just hit brake or revese to stop them cold.or the oild slick or smoke screen to get ahead of the cars and let them slip on some ol slick or blnd the driver.Another high resolution couldhave been at the end of the game where we see the end credits of the game resemble kitt at the end of the tv series like wilton saying one man can make a difference from season 1 or we could have seen the credits of the designers just like the end of the episode with kitt in spm mode in the dessert and the credits.

Now that i've said what i'd like to improve in the game here is what I would like to commend the game designers for:

I loved how we see different views of kitts turbo.I liked that we have to get back to the semi alot to end some missions.I loved using sk mode on the cavillian cars at high speed when we have to maintain our speed.I love the way you used the exact sounds of the show except the spm mode.I also loved the way we can traject kitt with turbo boost by distance like the series.You guys did a great job on finding different situations to turbo boost.I also like crashing through the buildings glass walls and bars and boxes.I know it was hard to create such a great plot which came out pretty good actualy.

All in all,on a scale of one to 10 i give this game an 8 for knight rider feel and a 5 for the actual gameplay.

Anyone else wanna give a review or a list of improvements they would like to have made if there is a patch to be made?

[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: Knight Racer ]
Last edited by Knight Racer on Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:27 pm

Please add a spoiler tag!
Im sure this could have been put into another on-going thread

K.I.T.T

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:12 pm

K.I.T.T. This could not have been included in another thread because all threads are labled kr game or something i wanted to be very clear as to what this topic is about:Just improvements and maybe possible critic reviews on the game not just if it was a dumb game or great game i want to discuss what makes this game awesome or the worst game a person ever bought.If you have a review i would like to hear it.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:25 pm

Well if you look in many other threads, they all in some way take on a different view or go a different way though still being on topic...i'm just thinking of the board space like Neil and K.I keep rightly reminding us all. Im sure i havent see a review from anyone in here saying the game is "dumb" though i may have missed one.

[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: K.I.T.T ]

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:10 pm

That's something I don't understand.If you think of it logicly,the message board was meant for one purpose,for knight rider fans to talk about everything knight rider oriented.I don't know about you but i know for a fact that i've been on the board for over 4 years now.I've seen people such as whitebird,jup,neil,Junk yard dog and so many other and all we did was talk knight rider.Well thats the purpose Neil made the baord for so thats what we always have been talking about.The new game is knight rider oriented and as far as I can see many people have been just talking about the game not realy anything else in particular.If thts what people want to talk about then you cant just tell them no more talk about the game or just put it all in one massive 30 page thread.I'm realy sorry if I seem a little harsh but this point had to be made.

Also I know this is off my own topic but the why i started this thread is that when a person starts to post a new subject the subject thread becomes long and sometimes reaches up to 30+ replies.Can a person realy keep looking at the same thread for so long?Some,like me,feel the need to look at a new thread that discusses the same topic but in a orderly manner.My topic talks aboutt he game and what i think of it i want to heat what everyone else says about it without having to read over 300 posts.This way i can read them one by one.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:55 pm

I am not saying that people cant post regarding Knight Rider, i have not got the right or moderating skills/ knowledge, and quite frankly i agree, this is a board on Knight Rider to talk about Knight Rider. I'm just saying that there are endless amount of game threads all on the same vein and like K.I and Neil have been trying to do is keep relevant posts within relevant threads to stop allot of thread closures and primarily to save the website/board's bandwidth, im sure you wouldn't want to pay the bills Neil has to pay to keep this board afloat. But i hear what your saying and totally understand also i was just saying to help matters..it would seem i haven't anyway lol [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

K.I.T.T

Marcelius
Volunteer

Post by Marcelius » Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:46 pm

....Knight Racer....uhhh...I don't believe I've seen ONE game in the world without flaws, why are you dwelling on it? Sure...it would be nice to have all the added 'bells & whistles' in Knight Rider, and chances are a patch WILL be made...

...But...quite honestly...Who cares? I enjoyed the game, it may NOT be entirely accurate, but it's damn better than the other Knight Rider games I've played. As for possible Knight Rider cheat codes, our very own www.KnightRiderOnline.com had an intriguing interview with a creator of the game, who did in fact say there WILL be cheat codes available to play as KARR and Goliath and have SPM WITHOUT editing files, like I have read in previous posts here.

So...my advice to you, is to calm down with a nice big vat of caffeine...preferably extra caffeine :P and enjoy the Knight Rider game...and calm down, man!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:59 pm

Now allow me to step in here as a moderator and share a little bit of insight:

In the other thread, Knight Racer, where you announced you were going to do this, I advised you to keep it within that thread. I know you have been around the board for a long time, but that alone should give you an idea that things have in fact changed around here, and the board isn't the good old 'anything goes' board anymore. We didn't have 800 members on the board. Longevity doesn't have much of an impact anymore, nor does it allow for anybody to do as they feel.

I know that you personally do not like having to scroll through a thread with multiple responses, but no matter what you do, you are going to have that, and 'personal threads' are not exactly shined upon anymore. As of the present, this board is looking to be shut down at the end of this week to conserve on bandwidth, file allocation, and to switch over to another board (last I heard) to HELP with this situation, but it is not going to eliminate it. No matter what, if the thread grows, it is going to end up with multiple responses. If you take the time, if it goes to a second page, it can save you some time. If you do not want the thread to grow, then please tell us so we can lock it down immediately, because if you are going to get responses, then you are going to have to scroll down through the messages, and you can't moderate your own threads, so if it strays off to a different subject, there is nothing that you can do, so you might as well save up on the board resources and let it be part of another thread, huh? Because what you suggest is the same thing that others have suggested. They haven't just complained, they suggested as well.

I am sorry to have to do this, but the good old days of freedom posting and not being considerate of the board resources are long gone. Please take that into consideration in the future.

Thanks in advance.

knightimmortal

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:43 am

I'm sorry knightimmortal,I didn't know exactly what the reason was that we kept changing boards.If I would have known I woulnt keep making so many topics..Would it take more bandwidth to continue and make threads longer or to start new topics each using like 6 or 7 replies?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:16 am

It's easier to merge topics, as we should be able to do in the new board. The larger the topics, the easier they are to archive and move off, rather than having to go after several little files, and bombarding the board with multiple files on similar subjects, therefore overpowering the board.

Remember, we are general discussion. We talk about everything Knight Rider. If it starts to go too far to fan fic or to the game, or otherwise, people just lose interest.

knightimmortal

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:28 am

Knight Racer (et.al): I elaborated a bit about how the board works in the "future of the board thread".

As to this current topic, I haven't seen the game yet so I can't offer much of an opinion. But my gut tells me that if the game had TOO many of KITT's features (oil slicks, grappling hook, laser, etc. etc. etc.) it might take away from the game play a bit. That was one of the concessions of the series: in just about every car chase, KITT should have been able to simply microjam the brakes or do something like that (every now and then they'd mention an excuse why they couldn't). But then we wouldn't have a very good chase. The game might be the same way. By forcing you to just use the basics, you get to do more actual racing.

Mike

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:52 am

I think your right Michael.Every time Michael had to fight someone with a gun,all kitt would have to do is just micro jam the trigger but we discussed that it should have been possible but never happened.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:51 pm

Mike...I thought you may of added some backing in the thread situation.. but ok.
I to some extend disagree...i think (in my opinion)it would have made the game much better if K.I.T.TS functions were made MORE open for the player. This is a one off game for the series of Knight Rider I see it as all the episodes combined in 1 game, thus giving the player and the makers lots to play with and do with the game and to some degree make it a little longer...or am i just being a prat?

K.I.T.T

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K.I.T.T:
<STRONG>Mike...I thought you may of added some backing in the thread situation.. but ok.
I to some extend disagree...i think (in my opinion)it would have made the game much better if K.I.T.TS functions were made MORE open for the player. This is a one off game for the series of Knight Rider I see it as all the episodes combined in 1 game, thus giving the player and the makers lots to play with and do with the game and to some degree make it a little longer...or am i just being a prat?

K.I.T.T</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you K.I.T.T..I see how in many episodes we all think kitt could have used many different functions to do something.For instance by my favorite turbo boost,in the episode knightmares,Kitt had to turbo from one level and hit the front right corner to shatter the pipes and drain the chamber with the girl,and fall down 2 or 3 levels.Michael suggested to use the laser but it would take too long to shatter it.Now here is where i know that kitt had to ability to transfer power from certain tools inside of him and redirect the power to his laser system.Granted some might think that in the episode trust doesn't rust that the power amplified by a redirection of power form other systems wold drain kitts batteries but kitt could have regulated the the flow for just the right amount of concentration.

Heres another question.Why couldn't kitts laser system have its own battery system?In trust doesn't rust Devon says "Anymore then 2 shots and it would deplete kitts batteries."In kitt vs karr,Karr uses more then just one or 2 shots without loosing power.Maybe its becuase Bonnie said it was a modified laser and she doubled the power.

The point is that kitt should have had a few of his systems available in the game to use like microjaming karr or the other cars that had to be stopped or holding down the microjam in order to short out the cars systems and stop it enough for kitt to take a good shot at it with his laser system.K.I.T.T. what do you think?

Heres a side question does anybody think that if i were one of the game testers or suggestion people there,that i could have improved the game incredibly with these extra ideas?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:10 pm

Elaborating a little bit...

The biggest complaint about the game is that it seems to be too short and too easy. So it was based upon those reviews that I thought that it wouldn't help too much simply to add more of KITT's features.

On the other hand, if they were to do a complete overhaul of the game with long, elaborate missions then all of KITT's extra gizmos would become more interesting. You'd have to learn when it's a good idea to use different features. That would definitely help distinguish it even more from your basic driving game. But the entire gameplay would have to be re-thought.

And as for future-game-tester Knight Racer, I wouldn't quit your day job just yet. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] It's fairly easy to throw out ideas for a game, but it's much more complicated to figure out how to implement them creatively and financially. I think all of us could come up with ideas on how to make the game better, but we really have no idea how practical our ideas would be.

Mike

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:31 pm

Well your explanation is understandable Michael.However even though I'm not a game progrmer,I don't think it would be too hard to implement such a system where you can turn on the microjam system and try to catch up to the bad guy enough to have the effect fully stop the car or you could do that while immultaineously shoot the laser with ,kitts auto fire guidence,to hit the car on its weakest point.Kinda like in the series.Kitt used his comprehensive configuration anilyzer to analyze the juggernaught and find his weakest point or in Goliath he used it to find goliaths point was the link between tractor and trailer.Its sort of like when in the game we see a green triangle on the caar mayb it would have been better to make the weak point glow red and normal back and forth to tell his weak point.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:45 pm

1) Slow down.

2) It actually is pretty difficult to implement functions in, because those are extra lines of code.

knightimmortal

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:15 pm

Didn't someone post before that there is more then enough room for extra code when they bought the ps2 version of the game?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:28 pm

I don't know about that, but creating that extra code actually takes time. The code doesn't just appear out of mid air. And you also have to make sure that it doesn't have bugs, or it ends up a total mess.

knightimmortal

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:31 pm

Ok,forget this discussion about the extra code took place.If you didn't know what exactly kitt's functions would be in the game,wouldn't you think it should have microjam?It should have been there just as much as we expected kitt to turbo boost in the game.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:42 pm

Well, seeing as I don't have the game, and I am just going off of what I am seeing on their site, KITT does have microjam (they call them microjammers) http://www.davilex.com/products/knightrider/thegame.asp

I could be wrong, and they could have taken it out in the final version, but they do have it listed on their site.

knightimmortal

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:00 am

As for Kitt's Lasers.

Kitt has two different lasers.

In the Karr episodes That was a specific laser designed by Bonnie just for the occassion of destroying KARR. In "Trust Doesn't Rust" It would indeed deplete Kitt's batteries after two shots because it had to be a specially powerful laser. To have enough charge to blow the scanner and with it all of Karrs systems. Then in Kitt VS. Karr Bonnie did make modifications she doubled the lasers Penertation. And although she never explained it we have to assume the battery situation was also another modification.

The laser used in Goliath, and Soul Survivor was another type of laser. That laser would have been the one Kitt was referring to in A Good Night's Work.

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:33 am

Yeah KI, he has the microjam feature. But it's 'activated' for certain occasions only. Doesn't let you microjam other cars when you have to stop/chase them. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: problems and possible improvements for the pc game knigh

Post by jup » Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:44 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
Heres another question.Why couldn't kitts laser system have its own battery system?In trust doesn't rust Devon says "Anymore then 2 shots and it would deplete kitts batteries."In kitt vs karr,Karr uses more then just one or 2 shots without loosing power.Maybe its becuase Bonnie said it was a modified laser and she doubled the power.

Heres a side question does anybody think that if i were one of the game testers or suggestion people there,that i could have improved the game incredibly with these extra ideas?
On the laser part, I suspect that, at the time, batteries that could drive the laser in the KR universe were either too big, too heavy or both to be considered for KITT's specs to handle. And, by the time the modified laser came into effect, battery capacity in the KR universe had advanced enough to either give the laser an independant power pack, an extra source of power and/or a less power consuming laser.

I also have a theory about KARR. I believe that KITT had the ordinary, 'needs a regular recharge' type of battery. Whereas, KARR had this super experimentative, one-of-a-kind device that was either a mega-battery or a micro-power plant or a fusion cell or...something. (No. Not a solar cell, KI. ;) ) After all, KITT's 'recharge me after every couple missions' type of battery would not have sustained KARR's year long sand bath at the beach. (Who knows. Perhaps the novel version will shed some light.) So, if such a device were in place, I wouldn't be surprised if KARR could fire laser shots off all night long.

As for the side question...Yes. I do believe that if the game makers could have accepted ideas, the overall product would have turned out much better. When handled properly, a "think tank" full of knowledable fans can make a very valuable resource.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Re: problems and possible improvements for the pc game knigh

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:00 pm

jup wrote: As for the side question...Yes. I do believe that if the game makers could have accepted ideas, the overall product would have turned out much better. When handled properly, a "think tank" full of knowledable fans can make a very valuable resource.
Although we on this board may not have been involved, there is no doubt in my mind that Davilex did have a "think tank" of fans working on the game. This game could not have been made simply by racing geeks who bought a license from Universe. Although there may be some problems with the gameplay, I still say that the "soul" of the game captures the heart of the series rather well.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com