NES KR game

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

toffa
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NES KR game

Post by toffa » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:12 pm

Is the music on the start screen of the NES version of the KR game meant to be like the starting theme from the TV series? It doesn't sound much like it! Does anyone else find the game quite hard?

Mike Knight
Rookie

NES KR game

Post by Mike Knight » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:54 am

Nope, it's an original theme, written just for the game. I find it quite catchy. I like this game ALOT. Jup and I probably know the most about the KR video games, so if you got questions, ask away!

I don't find it hard, because I use a Game Genie. Hehehe....

You wanna talk about a hard KR game? Try playing it for the Commodore 64. Now THAT'S hard.

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Mike Knight ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

NES KR game

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:02 am

I got a question?

Out of 700+ members, what makes you think that you and jup are the only KR Game Experts?

knightimmortal

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

NES KR game

Post by sarfraz » Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:24 am

yeah!!!

I managed to complete the "barrel in the middle of the road" stage.....without cheating. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Sarfraz

toffa
Volunteer

NES KR game

Post by toffa » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:14 am

I agree the theme is catchy, maybe it should be used for the movie (lol!!!!!!!!)
Do you know where I can get emulated copies of the C64 and PC Engine versions? Are there any PC engine emulators? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Knight
Rookie

NES KR game

Post by Mike Knight » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:58 am

Sorry. I suppose that I should have used Probably. I'll fix it.

The Game Genie doesn't make me invincible, but I never lose Gas or ammo.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

NES KR game

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:21 pm

There was a prototype PC Engine emulator out about 5 years ago, PC Magic I think it was called. It was a demo so you had to register it to get the full version. There were two freeware options available. One let you have sound with no gamepad support and the other let you have a gamepad with no sound. This version was DOS based so I imagine a fuller more Windows complient version exists by now.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

NES KR game

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toffa:
<STRONG>I agree the theme is catchy, maybe it should be used for the movie (lol!!!!!!!!)
Do you know where I can get emulated copies of the C64 and PC Engine versions? Are there any PC engine emulators? Any help would be greatly appreciated!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actualy I just started to help people as much as I can so I can help you in that department.I have the regular kr game for nes for emulation.I also know where you can download the c64 version but its very hard to get a working emulator for it.If you find one give it here.You can instant message me ad we can talk from there.My screen name is cybrtronmatrix.I hope this helps rebuild my image cause i know one of the reasons that people haven't been helping me is bcause i've never done anything for them.In a way I look to them the way they look at me.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

NES KR game

Post by jup » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:20 pm

The Commodore Computer emulator I have on my PC came from a game CD I bought for a couple dollars called Forbidden Forrest II. The reason they had the emu on there in the first place was so players could play/relive the classic C-64 original after playing the new, 3-D version. Works great with other C-64 ROM's...when the files work, that is.

I'm not sure where I downloaded my version of Knight Rider for the C-64 at. It's been too long.

As for the intro theme music, I suspect that the makers of the NES game were trying to buy the rights to use as much as they could on a limited basis. And, the original theme was too expensive, or something. (Though, the rights to use the images of Bonnie & Devon were priced just right.) So, they made an original, catchy but generic, action theme song. (As I said on my tribute page, this game only has four songs...and the easily overlooked fourth song is (by far) the best, IMO.)

Is the NES game tough? Yes, indeed it is...without the benefit of a cheat or two. And for several reasons. Everything is extremely limited. Gas. (KITT burns through so much gas that it's embarasing. It's something like 2 gallons to the mile...not including the use of Turbo Boost!) Time. (Some of these course time limits require you to drive nearly perfectly. At least, when time runs out, you can still continue as long as you have motion...and Turbo Boosting can keep you going, until the gas runs out.) The MBS. (Though, it's not called that in the game. Your protective shielding can only take so many car crashes/bullet & missile shots before it's gone...until you recharge it. (RECHARGE THE MBS?!?)) Ammo. (Some of these stages have you attacking a boss foe that will require certain weapons to be ready. If your ammo is out, you could be in major trouble.)

Another factor that makes this game so tough is the fact that it uses incredibly dumb drivers. In the later stages, it is almost guaranteed that everyone wants to pull in to your lane...usually at the last second. You'll be stabbing the Turbo Boost so many times just to protect the innocent...from themselves. The game is tough enough with just the enemy on the road and all the limited factors you have to deal with for KITT. But, the way the innocent drive in this game...that's just making the game unneccessarily hard, IMO.

BTW: I've never beaten this game without the use of cheats. You simply must remove some of the limitation factors just to make this game fair.

A link to the web page:
http://www.jupircbot.8m.com/kr/neskr.htm

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: jup ]

toffa
Volunteer

NES KR game

Post by toffa » Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:53 am

What a site jup!
Obviously you've put a lot of dedication into that work! Thanks to you I can at least see what the later levels look like even if I'm never good enough to reach them!

toffa
Volunteer

NES KR game

Post by toffa » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:04 am

Just had a look round for PC engine emulator. Found one at www.zophar.net/tg16.html Haven't had a chance to see if it works, but should have a chance next week.

toffa
Volunteer

NES KR game

Post by toffa » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knight Racer:
<STRONG>

Actualy I just started to help people as much as I can so I can help you in that department.I have the regular kr game for nes for emulation.I also know where you can download the c64 version but its very hard to get a working emulator for it.If you find one give it here.You can instant message me ad we can talk from there.My screen name is cybrtronmatrix.I hope this helps rebuild my image cause i know one of the reasons that people haven't been helping me is bcause i've never done anything for them.In a way I look to them the way they look at me.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have a look around for an emulator next week as I haven't much time this week.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

NES KR game

Post by jup » Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toffa:
<STRONG>What a site jup!
Obviously you've put a lot of dedication into that work! Thanks to you I can at least see what the later levels look like even if I'm never good enough to reach them!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you.

If it hadn't been for the built in cheats, I'd never have been able to put together even half of what's on that page.

The page is also about 95% complete. Just a couple little facts about what bosses are where and using what are missing...along with a couple page divisions to cut down on the load time.