lots of old favorites coming out on DVD, is there hope for u

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:15 am

the big thing recently is companies releasing complete seasons of TV series on DVD, and 2003 will be no different.

In an article at Video Store Magazine they have an interview with many big studio players. Series such as Charlie's Angels, Battlestar Galactica, Quantum Leap, Magum P.I., even Golden Girls are getting releases, is a Knight Rider release far behind? Someday soon, I can see it happening, especially with their selection of releases for next year.
http://www.videostoremag.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&article_ID=3933

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:21 am

You know I have been wondering that myself. It would really be cool if they did.

Nick

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:16 pm

here in the UK it surprises me UP haven't thought about it (as far as we know, as they're not really into their customers at all it would seem!) as Knight Rider has been one of the most popular shows on Bravo these past few years, being in the prime-time 8pm slot for far longer then any other show (six months, airwolf got 4 months, chips got three weeks!) before being moved to 7pm. it never strayed too far from prime time and even got placed BACK there after a year of being in an afternoon slot! it was a guaranteed ratings puller for them until they bought their "next big thing" according to their site's forum.

(is it just me, or since bravo stopped showing kr has the entire channel gone downhill? seriously!)

with news of these new releases i'm defo keeping my fingers crossed. magnum had a LOT of seasons, are we sure they're gonna be COMPLETE releases of ALL episodes of ALL seasons...? UP had a way of making us believe that too until they released volume one, you see. if it does come, you might find it pushed back to take advantage of the new movie. with it coming out we could find a complete release very likely. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

and did you know baretta is making a come-back too? according to the british press (tabloids though, so pinches of salt at the ready folks!) singer/songwriter robbie williams is being lined up for the lead role!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:54 pm

I've noticed that these shows that have been selected for this year and next have had more seasons than kr. 4 seasons is relatively small for a tv show these days. buffy and angel are still carrying on after all these years.

i don't think Universal want to gamble on putting them on dvd because dvd's cost a lot time and effort to make and i suppose they don't wanna gamble on whether they get a huge profit back on it.

Shows like Quantum Leap and Battlestar appeal to a more general audience than KR(sad fact but true) and have a bigger fan base so I think that's why they are banking on these shows.

KR may come eventually to the States but it's sure gonna be a hell of a long time!

Also, I heard that KR is more popular in the UK along with Hasslehoff, and so that is why maybe they've already released quite a few eps.

Mind you...they seem to have stopped now though.

I know the A team is getting another release but maybe UP ran out of episodes that they had rights to(that's already evidently proven) with KR than other shows.

Here's to hoping they are working on gaining rights to more great eps in the future, although I am not holding my breath.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:26 pm

Well, it is pretty amazing that these shows are starting to come out on DVD, and here in the states we need to keep in mind that Knight Rider the pilot was already released on DVD, but CH didn't seem to back it, couldn't fill the orders, couldn't handle it for beans.

The only thing that might hinder the US release of KR on DVD is not the popularity. It has been established that our fan bases are similar to Quantum Leap, and other Action/Adventure Shows. But what will hinder it is CH's possession of the license to distribute the show. They have a very clouded view of gauging popularity. It seems that if they can't forfill orders, that the show is somehow not worthy to continue on the release list. They underestimate the fan base, and aim for those that THEY personally seem to think would have a higher potential. And that is what is going to keep our favorite show on a leash.

But with the others coming out, there might be some hope, for once.

knightimmortal

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:57 pm

Well if I'm not mistaken, the article is saying Universal is putting out the DVDs, so Columbia House wont have a hand in it. (Columbia House is owned by Blackstone Captial, Sony Music, and Warner Music)

Companies like Universal would sell the rights to shows to places like Columbia House because they didn't think there was money to be made and didn't want the headaches.

Now since people are making mucho money off of the DVDs, (which started with X-Files season DVD releases) that could be why Universal is releasing them, they are realizing that there is money to be made. It could also be why Columbia House hasn't released any more episodes on DVD, they no longer have the rights to them.

Leanne
Volunteer

Post by Leanne » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:02 am

I was thinking about that this morning, actually. I was contemplating purchasing the Knight Rider video cassette collection from Columbia House. Has anyone out there purchased it? It seems like a lot of money for just two episodes a cassette...but it is better then the taped versions I have off of t.v. I would much prefer to buy it on DVD though...then I wouldn't mind putting the extra money towards it.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:09 am

You'd think Knight Rider would be quite high on the list. Perhaps when the movie is ready Universal will be more interested in collecting on it then.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: March2875 ]

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:15 am

Hey, Knight Rider has to be around the corner if they're digging up the first season of Baretta, which nobody had thought about until Robert Blake went to the pokey while awaiting trial.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:40 am

I think i touched on this before....With a new release of A-Team coming soon, im sure Knight Rider will be behind sometime..Though when e-mailing Playback they do not want to reply, but its some hope for us i think...

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:36 am

skav, how many seasons did battlestar have? and didn't q.l. only have 5? a-team had 4 and a half and it's being treated no better sadly [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

i remember the x-files episodes that were in two parts were (badly) edited into movies for video. they proved so popular that they have begun releasing them as complete seasons. a lot of old shows have reappeared on vhs and dvd, i think it's surprised everyone in the business as they're all jumping on the bandwagon it seems, and plently of old shows are seeing box sets of complete seasons. maybe now that universal are backing these themselves and make more money than licencing them off (i presume) we can look forward to more of the same ... fingers still crossed... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:38 pm

I'll jump in and answer this anyway: Battlestar Galactica only had one season, and then they had the extremely horrible Galactica 80. Quantum Leap had 5 seasons. So did A-Team.

It just seems that Universal is going with what is hot right now, or for that matter, what they have licenced out for more recent development. (Ex: They were working on a new Battlestar Galactica series on Sci-Fi, that has seemingly temporarily gone on the chopping block. They were also working on a new Quantum Leap series for Sci-Fi.) As they say in the article, they are tuning in to the popularity vote, and our time might come next year. *fingers crossed*

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:31 pm

How long, in terms of years, did QL run for? I was wondering about that.

I suggested that Battlestar had more seasons only because I know how popular the show is. I never knew it had only one season. strange...how many episodes were in that season?

But, KI is right. It's the popularity thing with these shows right now. It seems that more and more people are forgetting the golden age of the 80's and think of Buffy and Angel as THE legendary thing of tv. But that's modern audiences for you. I'm sure most Buffy fans weren't even around when KR was still in transmission.

It's basically whatever way the studio thinks it can get it's money. If they think older shows can't generate enough profit for them then they won't release them.

And it's a sad fact but...out of more modern shows such as Angel and an older show such as KR...what is going to sell more?

I think I know the answer.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:42 pm

Quantum Leap ran from March of 89 to May of 93. (According to epguides.com)

Battlestar Galactica had 24 episodes (once again according to epguides.com) And it's popularity was attributed to the big movie that had been released around the time: Star Wars. (us cult sci fi people can really make things larger than life, can't we?)

knightimmortal

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:34 pm

On the topic of TV shows benig put on DVD, did Street Hawk ever come out on DVD in the UK. I remember last spring someone said Street Hawk might be comig out over there. Did it ever make it to release?

Nick

KRAvenger
Rookie

Post by KRAvenger » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:38 pm

I would love to get shows like "Street Hawk' and "Mantis" the complete series on DVD. But I wonder how "planet of the Apes " made it?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:36 pm

thanks for the input, KI.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:37 pm

No prob. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

KI

KRR
Rookie

Post by KRR » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KRAvenger:
<STRONG>But I wonder how "planet of the Apes " made it?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally loved the "Apes" TV series- funny, well-acted, and well-written, it was full of as much social commentary as were the films; one of the 14 episodes was even banned in the US because it stated the anti-atomic war beliefs of protagonist Alan Virdon.

Its release also coincided with that of the Evolutions set, containing the 5 films and the documentary. Now if they'd only release the cartoon series...

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>
And it's a sad fact but...out of more modern shows such as Angel and an older show such as KR...what is going to sell more?

I think I know the answer.

Skav</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This intrigued me. It actually made me sit back and think a little long and hard about it. I was trying to figure out what aspect bugged me about that concept to make it not so true, and I finally figured it out:

The general fan base for Angel and Buffy have power, but for the most part, many are younger than the average credit card carriers like those lovers of the 80's show are. I mean, those of us from the age of excess are credit card wielding beings who will buy just about anything that we can't get our claws on readily. Angel and Buffy have the benefit of the rerun, and syndication open to them. Knight Rider, Battlestar, and other shows don't really have all that much, especially after Sci-Fi started to get rather tight about their airings of some of these shows because the prospect of their DVD sales took the ratings down. So there is still the prospect that KR could do well, and there is the prospect that we could still be down the line if it comes out.

Just a ponderance, a slight mind explosion. I shall pick up my gray matter and be on my way.

knightimmortal

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:16 am

i'm absolutely amazed that B.G. only lasted one season! wow! i never knew that, always thought it lasted much longer!

the a-team, what a waste that final year was! the fifth season started so well with an extremely suspenseful and gripping three-part story, and set up what was to be a natural conclusion to the whole a-team story at the end of that year. according to tv zone: "the series was, howvever, suddenly and inexplicably cancelled halfway through its final year." hense why i said four and a half and not five. i know it's five but it just bugs me that we were so close to the end of the story when the plug was pulled :S

knight rider is still very popular here thanks to bravo tv, as are old faves like a-team and airwolf and yeh i read about the QL revival in tv zone this month, a show which recently enjoyed a quick run on UK Gold. i think you're very right KI, that when KR comes into its own big-stylee [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] next year we'll hopefully see a few dvd box sets of the whole series. after all, its never ever been shown here uncut and in the states aren't the episodes shorter with a couple of bits missing in each thanks to syndication?

perhaps B.G. came out first because of what you said plus the added fact that its only one season and so wouldn't cost as much to rerelease as KR or a-team would...?

and speaking of tv zone, according to the latest issue's "merchandise release update" there are NO universal playback releases in the pipeline! now this could be a good thing if they're planning on rejigging the format and stopping the release of miscellaneous episodes, but i'm not so sure.

and krfan1, unfortunately the street hawk releases never saw the light of day :S

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:08 pm

Actually BG is coming out because the BG fans are just a bit more rabid than most, and they have been pressing for it with a campaign that most governmental leaders would be impressed with. *chuckles*

knightimmortal