Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Soul Sista
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by Soul Sista » Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:58 pm

We all know humans celebrate the day of their birth,so why not an AI? I'v always wondered why no one celebrated Kitt's "bithday." What would Kitt's reaction be if Michael,Devon,and Bonnie threw him a suprise birthday party? With the talented writers on this board,I think this would make a pretty interesting challenge.So come on guys and gals,tell me what ya think about this idea!Pleeaassee!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by knightshade » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:35 am

I think I'm in a sappy mood tonight. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This takes place in season three.

All the usual disclaimers. I don't own anything KR.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Kitt. Happy birthday to you," Bonnie sang quietly as she entered the garage with a smallish package wrapped in silver paper and topped with a bright blue, foil bow.

"Bonnie, you remembered," Kitt said enthusiastically.

"Of course I remembered. You don't have to sound so surprised," she said, laughing as Kitt clicked open the door. She slid into the driver's seat and rested the package in her lap.

"Bonnie, thank you, an upgrade to my trajectory guide is just what I wanted," Kitt said, referring to the gift.

Bonnie dropped her head down onto the top of the steering yoke. "Why did I even bother wrapping it?" she asked. "Next year I'm going to disable your scanners before I bring it in."

"Well, in all fairness, wrapping is lost on me anyway, since I can't open it myself," he said matter-of-factly. "But thank you for taking the time. It looks lovely."

Bonnie shook her head thinking that it was a little sad that he couldn't even open the gift. She pulled at the bow and removed the paper, extracting the circuit card inside. The upgrade itself wasn't really the gift – it was on the schedule to be completed this month anyway. Bonnie couldn't think of anything to get him, so she had hidden a little program on the board. She leaned down to start installing the card in the bay under Kitt's glove compartment.

"I must say, I did miss this last year," Kitt said a little too quietly. Bonnie felt a pang of guilt for having left him to go to school. She had sent him an email, but it obviously wasn't the same.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"Please don't be. I understand why you left, but it is nice to have someone here to actually celebrate with me." Kitt waited a beat and then added, "And since Michael has never asked about my birthday, you're the only one who knows."

"Does that bother you?" Bonnie asked, reading a certain melancholy in a his voice. She thought back to the day she had found the clock on his CPU that kept track of the amount of time since his first activation. It wasn't completely accurate, because it only logged his time on the current CPU – it didn't include his development on the mainframe -- but it had peeked her interest. Bonnie wondered exactly when he had been activated. She expected him to think the question was frivolous and irrelevant, but when she asked him, Kitt gave her the exact time and date that he was activated for the very first time. The first time he remembered actually existing.

Kitt paused before answering her question. "Michael does remember the anniversary of the first time we worked together. But that isn't exactly the same thing. I guess maybe it does bother me a little that he hasn't asked."

"I'm sure he would if he knew it was important to you." Bonnie had given Kitt a present the first year on a whim. It had seemed like something nice to do. She probably should have mentioned it to Michael, but at the time she had been in one of her more possessive moods and had decided to keep it to herself. She had wanted something that she and Kitt could share. It was silly and petty, especially now, knowing that it obviously mattered to him. "Maybe, since your systems had just been completed when he arrived at the Foundation, he assumes that your birthday basically coincides with you two becoming partners."

"Perhaps. I can see how it would be a bit ambiguous. For humans there is a solid, established marker. For me, it could be the day I was first turned on, the day I was first put in the car, or one of several other similar events. One might argue that the first time I was activated was really my conception and that the period when I was being built was the gestation. That would make my first roll out my birth, in a matter of speaking."

Bonnie tried to suppress a smile and decided not to delve into that concept too deeply. "Well, I think that you can mark it however you'd like. As far as we know there aren't any other AIs out there celebrating birthdays, so I'd say you get to set the precedent."

"I think I would like today to be my birthday, Bonnie."

The simplicity of the statement tugged at her heart. Bonnie decided that if Kitt wanted today to be his birthday, she was going to make sure he had a good one. She hooked up the final connector and pushed the circuit board into place.

"Try that, Kitt."

Kitt activated the trajectory guide upgrade and was surprised when a hidden executable began to load onto his CPU. At first he was concerned that it was a virus, but as he was about to mention it to Bonnie, the program began to run and he was touched to see a series of pictures flashing through his processor. They were photographs taken of him with Michael, Bonnie, and Devon. His family.

"Thank you, Bonnie," Kitt said earnestly.

"You're welcome. Happy birthday," Bonnie replied as she opened Kitt's door and left him to peruse the pictures. She hurried out of the garage to find Michael and Devon. If they were going to throw Kitt a surprise party, it was going to be a busy day.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:44 am

Awww *wipes tear from eye* That was beautiful, knightshade. That tears at my heartstrings. Very nice!!!

knightimmortal

Soul Sista
Rookie

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by Soul Sista » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:59 am

Well Knightshade,I have three words for you...you go girl! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] They way you played up the emotional bond between Kitt and Bonnie was very sweet. ::grabs a tissue:: Darn it Shade! Now you have more wanting more! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

SadArticle
Operative

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by SadArticle » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:25 am

Beautiful, as per. You touched on every element of Kitt's 'birthday' that I would have, I think - when, exactly, it should be; transferring a human tradition onto an AI; sharing the moment with 'family' ... Michael not remembering! [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

*sniff* I might have to pilfer that short scene for my 'hard copy' Knight Rider collection [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

A big Michael-style thumbs up

Sarah

KRR
Rookie

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by KRR » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:50 am

"Happy Birthday Linda"

The young girl, not more than five and a half years, skipped around the rusted pile of metal, carrying a small pink cupcake.

"Linda," the girl said, "are you awake?"

The pile of black, rusted, twisted metal remained silent.

"Hey, Linda!" shouted the girl, almost dropping the smalll cake.

A metallic groan rose from the deep pile, and a faint green light flickered on.

"What?" asked the voice from inside the metal heap.

"Happy Birthday, Linda!" said the joyous little girl. "I brought you a birthday cupcake, see?" She held out the pink cake, the icing melting in the sun.

"My name is not Linda," said the voice. "I am the Knight Automated Roving Robot. KARR, if you prefer. I am the prototype car of the future, the first in a bold, new experiment."

The girl giggled, "Oh, don't be silly, Linda. Here, have some cake." She pushed the melting pink mess onto the remnants of the green voice modulator.

"I am not silly. I do not eat. I told you the last time that you came that I never wanted to see you again," said KARR.

"You're so silly, Linda." The girl opened up here small bag, revealing a plastic set of teacups. She poured air "tea" into a cup, and then poured it on the voice modulator.

"Here, have some tea to wash the cake down, Linda."

"I am the Knight Automated Roving Robot, KARR if you prefer. I am the prototype car of the future. There is no tea. You are trying to deceive me."

The girl continued to giggle. As she sipped her own tea, she asked, "Was your cake yummy?"

The faded green voice modulators were barely visible under the sticky pink icing. "I will kill you," promised KARR.

This caused the girl to erupt into a laughing fit.

"Stop that," said KARR.

"Tammy! Lunch, honey!"

"I detect that we have an intruder," scanned KARR.

"Oh, don't be silly, Linda; that's my mommy," said Tammy, picking up her things.

"I am not silly. I am not Linda. I am the Knight Automated-"

"Tammy! It's on the table!"

"-obot, KARR if you prefer. I am the prototype car of the future, the fir-"

"Tammy! Where are you? It's getting cold!"

"Listen," interrrupted Tammy, "I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow, Linda! Happy Birthday!"

"No, do not come here again," said KARR. "I will defend myself."

"I love you, Linda. You be a good girl, now." Tammy skipped back up the hill to her home, on the other side of the Santa Cruz Canyon.

"I will kill you," said KARR, to himself. The sticky pink icing melted onto his circuits in the hot sun of the desert.

CK
Operative

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by CK » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:15 pm

Interesting...funny and dark at the same. Tammy sure is lucky Karr is "incapacitated". Calling him a "girl" is bad enough. I like it.

Cheri

Janeway
Recruit

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by Janeway » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:28 pm

Funny you should mention that, actually. I started on this ages ago, and never actually got around to finishing it...opinions anyone? Should it be completed?

---
It was already late night when Michael pulled Kitt onto the gravel driveway surrounding the Foundation mansion. The air was bitterly cold, and Michael could not quite suppress a violent shiver as he stepped out from the warmth of the car and into the open air. He glanced up at the open sky, the stars were clear and bright and the milky band of the Galactic spiral arm stretched across the velvet throat of night like a
jewelled necklace.
It had been a silent trip home as Kitt was being very quiet. Michael felt almost glad of it, his body felt sore and bruised, and his throat felt as though it had been rubbed down with sandpaper, he didn't feel in the mood for extensive conversation. But even so, he felt a nagging sense that he had forgotten something.
The human half of the team sighed as he reached into Kitt's trunk to retrieve his overnight bag, glancing at the dash as he did so, seeing the LED's slowly go dark as Kitt prepared to power down for the night.
Slinging his bag across his shoulder, he reached down to pat Kitt's hood affectionately.
"Good night, buddy." He said.
There was no reply. Michael felt a brief prickle of worry. Always before, he had been able to tell when something was seriously wrong - the peculiar 'sense' of Kitt's presence seemed to change when something was wrong. But this time nothing had altered, reassuring Michael that everything should be fine.
"Kitt?" He tried again, allowing some of the worry he felt creep into his tone.
"Good night." Kitt said shortly, his tone snippy.
Michael sighed, fearing the worst. He had much experience with Kitt's 'moods'.
"What have I done this time?" Michael asked wearily, even as he chuckled internally. A woman on his last assignment had said that he and Kitt acted like an old married couple...perhaps she was right.
"Have you checked the date?" Kitt asked, his tone still deeply offended. Michael frowned and glanced at the date function on his watch. His heart almost fell through his boots when he saw it.
"Oh, Kitt. I'm sorry."
For the past five years, ever since Michael had managed to pry this date out of his partner, Michael had always made a point of doing something special with his partner. After all, it wasn't every day that an AI celebrated his birthday.
Kitt had repeatedly insisted that computers couldn't have birthdays, right until Michael had managed to get the date that Kitt first came online out of Bonnie. It had been difficult, but Michael had managed to find a gift for Kitt - with a little help from a programmer at MIT - a complex and ever-changing puzzle program that Kitt could use to entertain himself while in car parks...or police impounds.
Despite the difficulty of finding a gift for a, AI installed in a car, Michael had given his partner a gift every year...until now.

To be continued...

Janeway

CK
Operative

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by CK » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:39 pm

Oooo, good one Janeway. Now don't let it hang in midair too long. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheri

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:49 pm

"I'll Kill You" hoooo! KARR has a definite burr on his chassis....otherwise, definitely dark, and an interesting look into a KARR birthday. Now what can you come up with for KITT, KRR?

Janeway, don't you dare leave that one hanging, or I will send KRR's KARR after you. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by jup » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:29 pm

Great jobs, everyone!

Soul Sista
Rookie

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by Soul Sista » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:57 pm

More,Janeway,Mooorrreee!!!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BabsBunny
Rookie

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by BabsBunny » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:00 pm

MAN, KRR! That KARR tale was wonderful! *giggles hysterically* I hope you write more of them. You capture his character so well! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] You're a great writer! And the other stories you guys put up are wonderful as well, even thugh they made me snivel.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by knightshade » Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:27 pm

Pink icing KRR? I can't think of a more deserving AI for it. :-) Nicely done.

Janeway, stop teasing and finish it. :-) Well done. I think that plays into SadArticle's question about Kitt's feminine side though. :-)

And thanks for the feedback from my little ditty. I very much appreciate it. :-)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:55 pm

Keep on writing, my friends.

And I will put a link up over at the Knight Foundation Fan Fiction Center Archive for the challenge, link out to those who host their responses, and host those that don't, or can't.

Let the challenges continue!

knightimmortal

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:42 pm

And while you are all in the writing mood, here is one of the other challenges you can still answer to. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by krfan1 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:55 pm

All of those were sweet stories. Janeway, finish the story!

Nick

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fan Fic Challenge # 2

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:35 pm

Okies, I will kick this to the top one last time. Anybody who wants their story to still be eligible to compete in the Edwards, you have eight days to get it out for us and onto a website.

knightimmortal