Fanfic Hosting

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

rusti_knight
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Fanfic Hosting

Post by rusti_knight » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:27 pm

All right, here's the deal. I have a some extra space on my site that I can't use up at the moment. Instead of letting it sit there, I've come up with an idea (I'm paying for it, it needs to be used somehow)

For those who have a fic in mind, but only want to write one or two fics, and don't have the means to create a webpage or don't want to, I will host the story. I prefer TKR, but KR is allowed by all means. Any more than two fics I consider a series, and at which point, you ought to get a webpage (Geocities is still free, even though it's service sucks now).

The only catch is that it has to go through me. I am unwilling to create a sign-in setup for this. It must come through my email, preferably saved as an .html document so all I have to do is upload and link. Titles and descriptions you can send too, I'll see that they're up alongside the story.

If anybody takes me up on this, please remember that this is my ball, and I'll pick it up and go home if I want, especially if this offer is abused. Though I'm not sure how it could be, the human race continues to horribly surprise me from time to time.

One time fic writers, let's have 'em!

Rusti

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fanfic Hosting

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:35 am

I figured that this needed to be bumped up, to help all those fic writers out there who don't have the webmaster within them screaming for release, just the fic writing muse. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There is also limited space available over at the Knight Foundation Fan Fiction Center. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

knightrider_ni
Operative

Fanfic Hosting

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:36 am

rusti, i was just curious about your mention of yahoo's geocities. i used to belong to them but left last year, what's happened that makes it so bad? it was pretty pants when i left too, and i haven't been back into the editing parts of it since i closed my site there, but i still recommended it to some people just starting out. should i be stopping that now? lol.

(ooh, post number 333 - i'm officially an alien until my next post on a few minutes... and the only people to understand that will probably be war of the worlds fans [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img])

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: knightrider_ni ]

rusti_knight
Operative

Fanfic Hosting

Post by rusti_knight » Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:04 pm

Last time I dealt with Pagebuilder, you couldn't do half the things with it that you can with Homestead Sitebuilder. You weren't allowed to overlap your drag-n-drop selections and in geocities as a whole, you can't type in an link and click to go to a page. You'd have to copy and paste from the message. I'm sure there's more wrong with it, but it's been over two years since I've fiddled with them beyond using my old accounts there as storage.

Rusti

knightrider_ni
Operative

Fanfic Hosting

Post by knightrider_ni » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:09 pm

they had those things rectified last year when i used it, but other things disappeared instead (all but two fonts for example, and you couldn't centre your page on different resolutions anymore), and it only loaded half the time. still, as a first-time web builder i thought it was good experience, but by the sounds of it you've found something a lot better.

i actually got a book from the library here called "learn html and xhtml in 24 hours" and believe it or not it tells the truth! i'm coding my own site from scratch, and it's a lot easier than i thought it ever would be, and it gives better freedom, especially with layouts and graphics. i'm particularly found of my knight rider contents page which will be finished by this weekend with any luck [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Janeway
Recruit

Fanfic Hosting

Post by Janeway » Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightrider_ni:
<STRONG>
i actually got a book from the library here called "learn html and xhtml in 24 hours" and believe it or not it tells the truth! i'm coding my own site from scratch, and it's a lot easier than i thought it ever would be, and it gives better freedom, especially with layouts and graphics. i'm particularly found of my knight rider contents page which will be finished by this weekend with any luck [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is actually quite surprising how easy HTML is to learn once you get into it. It gives you an awful lot more control over the nuts and bolts of the website design.
Though I still think that any webhost that uses pop-up ads should be consigned to the deepest pit of hell [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Janeway

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fanfic Hosting

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:29 pm

Ahhh, but then Hell would be too full due to the fact that virtually every commercial one smacks you around with popups, unless you pay.

*grabs stick* Back! Back you evil pop-ups!

knightimmortal

KRR
Rookie

Fanfic Hosting

Post by KRR » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>
*grabs stick*

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A free stick.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Fanfic Hosting

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:38 pm

Why does it have more bad reviews than good reviews?

And what I meant is website providers will have pop-ups, not about those of us who go to them. That is what I meant by having to pay, we, the webmasters have to cough up the cash in order to keep our fellow community members from suffering.

knightimmortal

rusti_knight
Operative

Fanfic Hosting

Post by rusti_knight » Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:49 pm

Yes, I now pay for my website. Seventy a year, though I think it's quite worth it. No pop-ups, no ads and quite a lot of space.

*shrugs* I just needed to do something with all that extra space. Offer's still open.

Rusti