Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Living Dead

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Living Dead

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Now that I think about it, I think this show would have been better served if they HADN'T tried to connect it to the original series- merely recreated it, and reinvented all the concepts from the original series into the new one, which is what they seem to be doing. This whole thing with Charles and the KARR prototype makes no sense- what would possess him to putt KITT"S CPU into a car, when the prototype was some kind of robot? It just doesn't jive with the original history of the show.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

KR4Life
Recruit

Post by KR4Life » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:58 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:KARR was thought to be decommissioned, but bad guys will steal the CPU and put it into a vehicle: Hence the new KARR.
That's a VERY plausible/likely origin for a new vehicle-based KARR. As much as I loved the original KR, some elements may not transfer as well as we would like to the new show. Now, don't get me wrong, IF they came up with a logical explanation for the 1st KARR to make a return, I would like to see it! Maybe the Foundation scavenged the remains and Dr. Graiman used some of the tech for the next generation. Who knows?!

As for the rest of the episode, I thought it was pretty solid, except for the 'sound reconstruction' thing. Billy must have been watching A LOT of 'Torchwood' to come up with that. Mike's prank was AWESOME, but Dr. Graiman's aborted revenge prank would have rocked too! The whole murder-mystery was kind of cliched, but I think it was pulled off okay. The characterization between Mike, Sarah and KITT was especially strong and MY favorite bit of the episode. KITT's 'stroll down Memory Lane' was pretty sweet. Who knew he was such a nostalgic softy?? And how Mike and Sarah wouldn't abandon KITT as the clock ticked down? It gave me more hope for the eventual/obvious 'KITT is not a weapon' story arch we would all like to see!

"Knight of the Living Dead" --> 4.5 of 5 Turbo Boosts

P.S. Zoe dressed as Claire from 'Heroes' ? HAAAWWTTT!! :good: :mrgreen: :good:

transam82
Rookie

Post by transam82 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:19 am

I agree I liked the references to KARR in this espisode but when I saw a robot, I said what!!! Please say that the CPU is from the original KARR placed in that robot at least. I'm glad they changed the license plate on KITT and I love Zoe, she is a hottie, especially in that cheerleader outfit. :karr:

Matt H.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 am

Yeah, I do hope that if they're going this route then at least the AI unit/CPU was used, but that doesn't make sense since if this KARR(E) is the new KITT's prototype then he'd been built with the same or at least similar hardware. Maybe it's just the whole transforming thing though.. I'm glad too they changed the plate finally, then again they didn't do any driving...
See my last post... What do you think about that?
Seems plausible, might also be interesting...

AzBat360 wrote:Man, what a bunch of whiners. You guys are so blinded to the past that you can't see the present. 20 years past since KARR was a TA. Wait till they flesh out the story and plot behind KARR before you call out the execution squad. Anyway, it was an excellent episode from start to finish. Great job guys!

Tommy McClain

Who was complaining about KARR not being a Trans-AM? OF COURSE THERE'S NO REASON FOR KARR TO ACTUALLY BE A TRANS-AM! The issue using the name (or at least the initials) and not only that but still with the same mistake of KARR having the "self preservation" flaw that was there 26 years ago. Maybe Charles is an idiot but since this show is supposed to be a continuation and Charles was supposedly there at the time, there's no logical reason why he would agree to add that in the new KARR(E)'s programming seeing how "well" it worked the first time. Perhaps the AI unit is the original KARR's since his memory banks wouldn't be intact and probably wouldn't have his old memories and maybe Charles thought it was salvageable, but still why even take the risk?

Sure, there's still time that this could be explained, but there still was no reason to use a wire-framed Mustang to apparent represent a form of this KARR(E). It wouldn't have killed them or pissed off Ford too much would it? But we'll see by episode 13.... It might be interesting if this is really tied with Mike's missing memories, which seems like a possible indication of his feeling it was familiar...
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

coach41
Recruit

Post by coach41 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 am

Well, KARR is back and he's a Transformer. That's certainly an interesting twist. Well, I was a little disappointed that the "original KARR" wasn't discussed.

However, after reading through everyone's comments, I have a plausible theory on the evolution of KARR:

After "KITT vs. KARR", the Knight foundation actually goes and recovered the pieces of KARR, including the CPU and other technology and put KARR into storage.

However, I am guessing that the Knight Foundation (for whatever reason) decided to pull KARR (or at least his programming) out of the mothballs. The Foundation (like many programmers) may have decided to recycle existing code BUT try to eliminate KARR's self preservation program.

It wouldn't be a far reach for the Foundation to try the "new and improved" KARR in a Mustang first before the new KITT. However, like the "old" KARR, the experiment may have failed and KARR was deactivated. However, as someone noted earlier, in war, a program that is self preserving works way better than KITT's "protect human life" directive. So, the government commissions a transformer "KARR". The transformer gets out of control and kills the 7 people as the show noted tonight.

How Mike is involved? I'm not sure how Mike would be involved.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:34 am

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. To me this was an awesome episode. Seeing KITT in a pink stripe was wierd though. Also did his voice sound a little more mechanical(tinny) after the download or was that just me?
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:55 am

Knight Writers Blog as been updated with a mainly mentioning the car used and it was for a cause I was thinking it was for.

Oh and KITT does mention that there might be much about KARR that he doesn't have access to so hopefully that's not just an opening for whatever history this is going to have Mike involved with.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 am

I absolutely loved this episode. It really restored my faith in the series. I finally started to really feel for KITT. The way Mike got down eye to scanner to talk to him was really touching. At the same time KITT was really funny.
And I really got into all the characters in the SSC. Even Zoe has won me over. Though I had to laugh that we got our wish at the end with a dead Zoe.
I'm definitely gonna have to watch this one again. But I am wondering at the back story of KARR. If it is a new KARR why would they uses the same name considering how unlucky the first one was.
Perhaps I liked this one so much because it really helped to build all the main characters stories without adding any new characters to the mix. (Aside from the poor nameless Star Trek ensign to bite the dust.) The characters all felt a lot less shallow.
:good: :good: :good:
three thumbs up
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:33 am

You know, the guy should have been wearing a red shirt. ;)

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:06 am

I have two screenshots from my SD recording:

As Joe Huth pointed out :D (filesize 24k) :

And KARR was a Mustang (file size 20.4k):

I'm posting these so late because I was over at my buddy's watching KR tonight.

Mods: if there is a way to resize/make them display better, edit my post.
--krfan1

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:25 am

transam82 wrote:I agree I liked the references to KARR in this espisode but when I saw a robot, I said what!!! Please say that the CPU is from the original KARR placed in that robot at least. I'm glad they changed the license plate on KITT and I love Zoe, she is a hottie, especially in that cheerleader outfit. :karr:

Matt H.

I completely agree with the part I made bold. Actually, I agree with everything you said, but the bold part is most relevant to what I am going to say. I thought the episode was great. I was enjoying the episode and when they mentioned what I thought was the original KARR I was VERY excited. I still am very pleased with the new series and I know that the issue with KARR will only concern fans of the original series, I still HOPE that they redeem the KARR story by saying it IS the original CPU. Like I said, I still really like the series, it's just when they showed KARR not being a T/A it took me out of the episode. The KARR story can still be completely fixed if they incorporate the back story that we already know.

Anyway, besides the KARR issue, the episode was great. I really liked the character development with Mike and KI3T. I also liked that KI3T was the one to suggest that they jettison KI3T from the plane. It really shows that KI3T is more concerned with Mike (and Sarah) than himself which is the opposite of KARR. I still love this show and can't wait until the next episode which looks really good.

I will hold my final opinion of the KARR storyline until I see where the writers are taking it. I liked the direction they took the new series so I hope I will like this as well. It's just that the KARR episodes were my favorite of the original series. I still remember when I found out the series was not coming back how sad I was that I would not see the return of KARR. Even when I heard of Knight Rider 2000, my first thought was that they would bring back KARR. Like I said, I still love the new series, I just am a little attached to the KARR stories.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:23 am

Heres a close up
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (46.2 KiB) Viewed 19961 times

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:40 am

We don't know that KARR is now a transformer. Maybe his CPU was just put into a military attack robot. Who says the robot was a vehicle too. Maybe the Mustang was KARR's original exoskeleton before they put KITT in it. Maybe the FBI originally wanted KARR in the Mustang for their purpose, then they took him out and installed KITT b/c KARR was still a killer. Maybe they forced Charles to do it.

Lameth1
Recruit

Post by Lameth1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:04 am

I really like the new concept of Karr. Think of where most of the funding seems to come from now - Military. The screens where Mike is looking at the Karr files, it looks like a robotic exoskeleton that transforms into some kind of dune buggy looking attack vehicle. Where was Mike when he couldn't remember? The middle east from screens in that video that plays on that knight research site. There is also a screen cap of a vehicle in that same video I posted in another thread but I couldn't make out what it was. Imagine the military aspect of putting a CPU even remotely like the original Kitt or Karr in a robotic exoskeleton that someone could "wear" that could change between an attack suit and a vehicle and could repair itself on the field. The screen shots definitely looked like Karr could change between a car and robot. I am thinking of Mike's heritage plus his already being in the military as a Ranger, that would put him as a possible prospect to pilot something like that, and because of the assumed failure of this new Karr, they had his memory wiped to erase any trace of it. His dad could have even been involved in picking him for that project to making it even more realistic to me. They mentioned that Karr killed several people, and that would have made them want to go back through the programming. I can see them wanting to put the newer improved CPU(Kitt) back in a car instead of a killer transforming robot just to make him more controllable since it was a tried and true method until Kitt becomes more stable to put back into the military aspect (robot attack body). It even seems plausible that the current Kitt model could become a transforming robot with everything else he turns into. I can also see Kitt not "wanting" to be used like that leading to story where Mike and crew help "free" Kitt from Government control.
All in all, a killer Karr robot based on Military design could be a very scary nemesis for Kitt.

youbelong
Rookie

Post by youbelong » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:38 am

knightrocker82 wrote:can u tell me when exactly it was shown in the episode, the devon and bonnie alias?
the episode 3 knight of the iguana mike alias devon and zoé is bonnie :kitt:

youbelong
Rookie

Post by youbelong » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:46 am

it is not the original karr damn it :karr: :karr: this episode is bad

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 am

Ki3t has ski mode.When kitt becomes unhooked and is falling toward Mike and Sarah,he checks all functions for the best probable solution and one of them is ski mode above turbo boost and grappling hook which he uses to stop his forward momentum.The minute is 12:49 seconds.

I think the KNIGHT plate may have been part of kitts costume for halloween since its after he morphs into that kitt pink mode.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:18 am

Knight Racer wrote:Ki3t has ski mode.When kitt becomes unhooked and is falling toward Mike and Sarah,he checks all functions for the best probable solution and one of them is ski mode above turbo boost and grappling hook which he uses to stop his forward momentum.The minute is 12:49 seconds.

I think the KNIGHT plate may have been part of kitts costume for halloween since its after he morphs into that kitt pink mode.
Hey, good eye on the ski mode! :good:

:kitt: :karr:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:20 am

After thinking about it overnight, there is a very plausible theory behind the original KARR CPU being used for the military vehicle by Charles. We're all assuming Charles was given a choice in the matter. Since we've seen a lot of Knight assets wound up in the hands of the government, who's to say that the government didn't try to use KARR's CPU without Charles' knowledge but then brought him in to try to "fix" him at the last minute when things went awry?

My pet theory right now is that KARR was reused for this military robot and paired with Mike since he was in the military. When Mike became involved in an incident where the seven people were killed, KARR was wounded or taken out of the picture somehow (Charles mentions he's "still out there") and Mike's memory was wiped (likely at Torres' instruction) so he wouldn't remember the horrible events. If the real story is anything like that, then that's some pretty hardcore stuff and would explain why Charles told Torres early on that Mike will go after him if he finds out what happened.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:28 am

goldbug wrote:After thinking about it overnight, there is a very plausible theory behind the original KARR CPU being used for the military vehicle by Charles. We're all assuming Charles was given a choice in the matter. Since we've seen a lot of Knight assets wound up in the hands of the government, who's to say that the government didn't try to use KARR's CPU without Charles' knowledge but then brought him in to try to "fix" him at the last minute when things went awry?

My pet theory right now is that KARR was reused for this military robot and paired with Mike since he was in the military. When Mike became involved in an incident where the seven people were killed, KARR was wounded or taken out of the picture somehow (Charles mentions he's "still out there") and Mike's memory was wiped (likely at Torres' instruction) so he wouldn't remember the horrible events. If the real story is anything like that, then that's some pretty hardcore stuff and would explain why Charles told Torres early on that Mike will go after him if he finds out what happened.
I agree this new KARR was a military type vehicle for high end missions of somekind..Since we know that Knight Industries are involved with military smart weapons what would stop them for having KARR in a robotic type vehicle to fight in a war, hence why Mike somewhat recolecks KARR...

For the KNIGHT plate I posted a thread back about a month and a have ago complaining about not having it...Thank god that is cool and hope they keep it...... :karr:

nascarnut
Volunteer

Post by nascarnut » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:42 am

Ok here is my take on the KARR thing. I think Mike Tracuer was a test piolt in Afganistan with the KARR Robot. I think KARR's "normal" mode is a mustang, but that robot thing is his "attack" mode. There was a horrible accident and KARR was decomissioned, and Mike's memory was wipped. There was only a total of 10 people at the test, the 7 killed, Charles, Alex, and Mike. Mike threatened to go public with the accident, but Alex wipped his memory and Alex made a deal with Charles to build the new KITT in exchange for never speaking about what happened. Right now, KARR is missing some "files" to get him back up and going, hence they needed to try to download KITT to that backup nueral net, and the fake zoe was trying to steal it to give back to whomever has KARR to rebuild his system using KITT's files.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:45 am

Those blueprintsa remind me of rat trap from beast machines.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:52 am

What a great episode, perfectly set for Halloween! Here's my breakdown of my favourite moments:

1. KITT's "memory lane". Honestly, that was so sentimental that I teared myself during that scene. It was like he was really going to "die", like how humans' memories flash before their eyes when they are about to die.

2. Zoe-Claire. Hawwwwtttttttt!!!

3. KITT's personality getting better. I love it when Mike told him to calculate faster and KITT said that because Mike is not injured, then he just calculated fast enough. That's cool.

4. KARR. I think they are not going with the original KARR here, but it's a "renewed origin story" of KARR. Like how this KITT is KI3T and not KI2T, let's just say that this new KARR (KARR-E? Cute name!) is not the old KARR. KI3T got his own origin story and they still name him KITT. So why can't they give KARR a whole new origin story and still call him KARR(-E)? I think it will be very interesting if just like some have stated here, Mike was originally the driver for KARR. I can't wait for episode 13. Maybe KARR will see Mike again and say "Hello, Mike..." and then his memories of Iraq returns. At least now we know he's got something to do with KARR.

Also I can't help to wonder why some people complain he has to be a Trans-Am? I think the way they first showed him as a Mustang is a nice touch. This way the setup of Mustang KITT vs Mustang KARR would be plausible. Only matter is who got the better transformation, that's all (and that's something I think Sarah can handle, since she also seems to know KARR). But let's hope the final scene between KITT and KARR doesn't turn into the Transformers robo-brawl, that would be SO BAD.

It's also a wonder how the writers manage to accomplish more by KITT standing still rather than KITT moving.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:09 am

My_Friend_KITT wrote:I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. To me this was an awesome episode. Seeing KITT in a pink stripe was wierd though. Also did his voice sound a little more mechanical(tinny) after the download or was that just me?
I think Ford was responsible for this has they are boasting the Warriors in Pink Mustang which is a complete option pack for Breast cancer Awareness. It's for a good cause but man for that pink stripe you pay dearly :).

Kinda sad they are using KR so much has a marketing tool. Does anybody else see any mustang commercials now outside of KR's timeslot??!!!

You can now own KITT :) but you have to get him in pink :). I think the scanner under the grill though makes him look a bit more covert though. I would consider this "Graphics Team". The next time you send him in undercover or in a militia compound . You can't tell me someone wouldn't have commented on the blazing red light in the hood ;)

For example
....Uh Tom wouldn't that be illegal if it wasn't a police car...hmmmmmm your right Bill! Lets get him!!!!:).
Last edited by MR2NR on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2: